General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

HELP HELP PLZ Body tag decode

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2021, 09:07 PM
1969 442

Hello friends
I really need some help!!
I have a body tag I need to decode ASAP !

ST-69 59 B PNT
TR-942
05A

Old May 13th, 2021, 05:26 AM
Old(s) Fart

A photo of the complete cowl tag would be helpful, since we don't even know if this car is a hardtop or convertible.

ST69 = 1969 model year
59 B PNT = Meadow Green Poly (59) lower body color with black (B) either vinyl top or convertible top, depending on which you have.
TR 942 = green vinyl bench seat interior
05A = built first week (A) of May (05) 1969
Old May 13th, 2021, 07:09 AM
1969 442

Thank you sooo much joe!

Thanks Joe for all that good information I didn’t wanna upload the picture of the tag because I didn’t know if there was any info that should not be shown on the Internet. It’s a convertible and here is the picture. Is there any more info I can get on it?

Here is the tag right here joe joe
Old May 13th, 2021, 07:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Ahmad442
Thanks Joe for all that good information I didn’t wanna upload the picture of the tag because I didn’t know if there was any info that should not be shown on the Internet. It’s a convertible and here is the picture. Is there any more info I can get on it?

Here is the tag right here joe joe
33667 = Oldsmobile (3) Cutlass S (36) convertible (67). Note that it is well documented that Olds used 336xx cowl tags on 442s also for the 1968-69 model years, so depending on the VIN this could also be a 442.
LAN = Lansing assembly plant
382110 = Fisher Body sequence number.

FYI, this isn't the VIN - there's no "secret" information on it. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me exactly what the scam is that people are worried about with photos of their VIN, license plate, etc on the web.
Old May 13th, 2021, 09:27 AM

Where's the car to go with it? Would love to see pics! You don't see too many green convertibles.
Old May 13th, 2021, 12:44 PM
1969 442

Cars not green right now...

Hello
I bough

t the car a few months ago it was in a front an accident I got it silver with burgundy stripes and burgundy interior I want to go back all original what do you think?
Old May 13th, 2021, 12:48 PM
Old(s) Fart

Your call on going back to original. but frankly you'll be spending a lot of money (and the green bench seat interior parts will probably be tough to get) while devaluing the car. Why is the trim tag not on the car, just out of curiosity?
Old May 13th, 2021, 01:18 PM
1969 442

Joe joe the car was hit really bad in the front and we had to do some work on the crawl area so I took it off so it won’t get damaged

Should I have not took it off joe ?
Old May 13th, 2021, 01:34 PM

In spite of that Ouch! on the front, I like the color combo. That is quite a bang-up Hopefully you can find a shop willing to tackle it.
Old May 13th, 2021, 02:20 PM
Old(s) Fart

Joe joe the car was hit really bad in the front and we had to do some work on the crawl area so I took it off so it won’t get damaged

Should I have not took it off joe ?
Ouch. No issue, I was just curious. There are vendors who sell the correct retainer "rivets" for the cowl tag.
Old May 13th, 2021, 02:23 PM

Ouch, did that hit a truck?
Old May 13th, 2021, 02:37 PM
1969 442

Originally Posted by 70W-32
Ouch, did that hit a truck?

I don’t know I bought the car at auction but whoever was driving had to get seriously hurt

Here’s a better picture for you
Old May 13th, 2021, 02:38 PM
1969 442

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Ouch. No issue, I was just curious. There are vendors who sell the correct retainer "rivets" for the cowl tag.

Joe do you have the contact info for any vendor who will sell me the original rivets also how do I know if it’s the original engine in the car please
Old May 13th, 2021, 03:58 PM
Old(s) Fart

This is one vendor. There are others who sell on ebay.

http://www.trimtags.com/rivets.html

The engine and trans each have a VIN derivative stamp. The first character of the VIN derivative will match the first character of the VIN, and the last eight of the VIN derivative will match the last eight of the VIN.

Old May 13th, 2021, 04:31 PM
Running On Empty

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me exactly what the scam is that people are worried about with photos of their VIN, license plate, etc on the web.
The scam is auto thievery.

Examples:
(1) Unscrupulous thieves/posters (with no traceable forum (think FB) member identification [other than true MAC address]) peruse FB, Twitter, etc. securing statements of information regarding when someone will be on vacation, not home, daily work schedule, pictures with really nice NC SQUAT CARS, etc. These ruffians are perusing opportunities for thievery;
(2) VIN numbers. Many avenues to secure dealership, owner information from state DMV offices/software, etc. when transfer of ownership occurs (title transfers, notaries, etc.) Much of this information is often garnered by the workers themselves employed by these organizations (much of this type crime occurs from within);
(3) License Plate. For the same reasons I mentioned in (2); yet, far, far easier since there exist a plethora of programs to trace License Plate numbers demonstrating owner's address.
Old May 13th, 2021, 04:56 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
The scam is auto thievery.

Examples:
(1) Unscrupulous thieves/posters (with no traceable forum (think FB) member identification [other than true MAC address]) peruse FB, Twitter, etc. securing statements of information regarding when someone will be on vacation, not home, daily work schedule, pictures with really nice NC SQUAT CARS, etc. These ruffians are perusing opportunities for thievery;
(2) VIN numbers. Many avenues to secure dealership, owner information from state DMV offices/software, etc. when transfer of ownership occurs (title transfers, notaries, etc.) Much of this information is often garnered by the workers themselves employed by these organizations (much of this type crime occurs from within);
(3) License Plate. For the same reasons I mentioned in (2); yet, far, far easier since there exist a plethora of programs to trace License Plate numbers demonstrating owner's address.
So do you have to cover the license plate when the car is parked in front of your house? Note that the license number, state, VIN, and address are all visible. Heck, do you have to cover your house also?

I'll ask again, what exactly is the scam? All of this information is already publicly available without the picture on the interwebs. Sorry, but all you've posted are spooky "oooh, they can do this.." not actual scams.
And if the DMV workers are in on the scam, how does having the info in the interwebs make it more risky than the fact that the VIN is visible through the windshield when the car is parked? And don't even get me started on the license plates. Does someone have to run behind the car when you drive it holding their thumb out to block the plate?
Old May 13th, 2021, 04:58 PM
Running On Empty

So do you have to cover the license plate when the car is parked in front of your house? Note that the license number, state, VIN, and address are all visible. Heck, do you have to cover your house also?

I'll ask again, what exactly is the scam? All of this information is already publicly available without the picture on the interwebs. Sorry, but all you've posted are spooky "oooh, they can do this.." not actual scams.
And if the DMV workers are in on the scam, how does having the info in the interwebs make it more risky than the fact that the VIN is visible through the windshield when the car is parked? And don't even get me started on the license plates. Does someone have to run behind the car when you drive it holding their thumb out to block the plate?

I am now slowly backing off the lawn....slowly, very, very, slowly.
Old May 13th, 2021, 05:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I am now slowly backing off the lawn....slowly, very, very, slowly.

Old May 13th, 2021, 05:49 PM
1969 442

Originally Posted by BackInTheGame
In spite of that Ouch! on the front, I like the color combo. That is quite a bang-up Hopefully you can find a shop willing to tackle it.

I have a small shop. I think my crew and I can tackle it..
Old May 14th, 2021, 04:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

I have a small shop. I think my crew and I can tackle it..
My hat's off to you for even taking this on. That's going to take some careful work to get it square again. Good luck.
Old May 14th, 2021, 05:03 AM

My hat's off to you for even taking this on. That's going to take some careful work to get it square again. Good luck.
Agreed! Good Luck! I recall a project like that way back in the day when I was in Auto Body Resto and Refinish at Vo-Tech school. We were students, of course, but we had a full-fledged body shop with all the then-current tools, K-J frame rack, welders, air and hand tools, and paint equipment etc. It took my team of five both semesters to get that one done at 20 hours per week. Quite a looker when we were done . Hopefully you will share pictures of the progress and finished product!
Old May 14th, 2021, 05:17 AM

Wow!! Makes me cringe when I see pics like that! You definitely have a project there! Like Joe said, you could have a 442 since Lansing 442s had cutlass cowl tags. Does your actual vin begin with 344(442) or 336(Cutlass)?? It is a nice color combo. Your interior, while the upholstery pattern looks correct for a '69, that dark red color wasn't available in '69. That's more of a '68 color. 69's came in a bright red.
Old May 14th, 2021, 06:07 AM
1969 442

THANK YOU!! I have a frame machine at my shop and I have a 1970 cutlass parts car I’m going to use the frame from that for it and then straighten my body out.. we are working on it right now

Old May 14th, 2021, 06:14 AM

The frame from your parts car won't work. Converts have boxed side rails the hardtops don't. You'll need to find an A-body convertible frame.
Old May 14th, 2021, 06:17 AM
1969 442

Originally Posted by rob1960
Wow!! Makes me cringe when I see pics like that! You definitely have a project there! Like Joe said, you could have a 442 since Lansing 442s had cutlass cowl tags. Does your actual vin begin with 344(442) or 336(Cutlass)?? It is a nice color combo. Your interior, while the upholstery pattern looks correct for a '69, that dark red color wasn't available in '69. That's more of a '68 color. 69's came in a bright red.

yes the number does begin with 344. Does that make it a real 442? I love the red color but joe says the car came with green interior. And when we pulled the Carpet out we can see the green over spray on the floor boards.
Old May 14th, 2021, 06:22 AM
1969 442

Originally Posted by rob1960
The frame from your parts car won't work. Converts have boxed side rails the hardtops don't. You'll need to find an A-body convertible frame.

Dang! For extra support? Huh
Old May 14th, 2021, 07:02 AM
Old(s) Fart

yes the number does begin with 344. Does that make it a real 442? I love the red color but joe says the car came with green interior. And when we pulled the Carpet out we can see the green over spray on the floor boards.
Yes, it's a real 442, and no, that hardtop frame won't work under a convertible. Convertible frames have extra reinforcement to make up for the stiffness lost when the roof is cut off.
Old May 14th, 2021, 07:59 AM

If the boxed sections are good they can be removed from the convertible frame and welded to the hardtop frame.
Old May 14th, 2021, 08:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 4speed455
If the boxed sections are good they can be removed from the convertible frame and welded to the hardtop frame.
Yup. It's just more work.

Old May 14th, 2021, 08:12 PM
1969 442

This is one vendor. There are others who sell on ebay.

http://www.trimtags.com/rivets.html

The engine and trans each have a VIN derivative stamp. The first character of the VIN derivative will match the first character of the VIN, and the last eight of the VIN derivative will match the last eight of the VIN.

hello joe joe
I hope I’m not getting on your nerves with all these questions but it seems like you know what you’re talking about... I looked into the engine and a got a picture of the casting number and I found the cars last Vin number on the front of the engine is all I can see

Is there any other numbers I need to find on this engine

Old May 14th, 2021, 08:14 PM
1969 442

So I looked into it and yes you are right I will have to use the metal off my old frame and weld it on this frame I have and while I’m at it will just add some extra support just to be safe..
I need a driver door really bad if you can help me out with that please
Old May 15th, 2021, 05:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

hello joe joe
I hope I’m not getting on your nerves with all these questions but it seems like you know what you’re talking about... I looked into the engine and a got a picture of the casting number and I found the cars last Vin number on the front of the engine is all I can see

Is there any other numbers I need to find on this engine
Yeah, you noted that casting number in your first post, which is the correct block for that car. You need to find the stamped (as opposed to raised cast) VIN derivative number.

Old May 15th, 2021, 06:36 AM
1969 442

Yes they are still good so I am going to cut them off and weld them on the frame I got and I’ll add some extra support somewhere
Old May 15th, 2021, 06:49 AM
1969 442

Yeah, you noted that casting number in your first post, which is the correct block for that car. You need to find the stamped (as opposed to raised cast) VIN derivative number.

ok I’ll get you a picture of it when I get back to the shop but from what I can see on the derivative vin the last 5 are the same as the last 5 of the cars vin number .

Here’s a picture of the number on the side of the transmission.. what do we kno joe joe?

Do these numbers and letters mean anything joe joe?

Old May 15th, 2021, 07:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

ok I’ll get you a picture of it when I get back to the shop but from what I can see on the derivative vin the last 5 are the same as the last 5 of the cars vin number .

Here’s a picture of the number on the side of the transmission.. what do we kno joe joe?

Do these numbers and letters mean anything joe joe?
I thought you said you had a Muncie? That trans is an automatic. 39M381038 is the VIN derivative.
3 = Oldsmobile
9 = 1969 model year
M = Lansing assembly plant
381038 is the sequence number from the car's VIN.

C heads are correct for a 1969 442. That stack of nuts spacing the PS pump bracket away from the head says that whoever put this together was a moron, however.
Old May 15th, 2021, 08:10 AM
1969 442

I thought you said you had a Muncie? That trans is an automatic. 39M381038 is the VIN derivative.
3 = Oldsmobile
9 = 1969 model year
M = Lansing assembly plant
381038 is the sequence number from the car's VIN.

C heads are correct for a 1969 442. That stack of nuts spacing the PS pump bracket away from the head says that whoever put this together was a moron, however.
what is a Muncie? I don’t even know what that is Joe Joe.
Old May 15th, 2021, 08:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

what is a Muncie? I don’t even know what that is Joe Joe.
Sorry, I'm confusing two different threads. Carry on.
Old May 15th, 2021, 08:17 AM
1969 442

Sorry, I'm confusing two different threads. Carry on.
no worries
So is it safe to say that is the original engine and transmission for that car?
Old May 15th, 2021, 08:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

no worries
So is it safe to say that is the original engine and transmission for that car?
If those numbers match the VIN, it's a certainty.
Old May 15th, 2021, 09:22 AM

If those numbers match the VIN, it's a certainty.
We still need the block stamping, right Joe?

Quick Reply: HELP HELP PLZ Body tag decode