General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Help! Buying a 455 block (maybe) What should I watch out for?

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2013, 05:17 AM

Help! Buying a 455 block (maybe) What should I watch out for?

I would like to build a 455 for the project car I bought my dad and I as a project car. There is a 455 block for sale on craigslist near where I live and I'd like some pointers on what to look for if I decide to buy it...

the post says "olds 455 Fa block F7 in bellhousing area. cleaned and maged .std. needs bored." Are there any areas I should look out for or signs I should be aware of that could turn me away from buying it? Price says $200
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
455 block.jpg (36.7 KB, 25 views)
Old June 5th, 2013, 05:47 AM
72 Olds CS

IMO look for something more complete. With just a block you need to acquire everything from manifold(s) to timing cover to starter flywheel etc etc....if you come across a complete engine that can save you some money and aggravation hunting for parts.

I can't really offer any advice as to specific pitfalls to watch out for, other than if she says its magged ask for a receipt
Old June 5th, 2013, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
IMO look for something more complete. With just a block you need to acquire everything from manifold(s) to timing cover to starter flywheel etc etc....if you come across a complete engine that can save you some money and aggravation hunting for parts.

I can't really offer any advice as to specific pitfalls to watch out for, other than if she says its magged ask for a receipt

Thanks for the advice. This is a 4 year project or so (trying to finish by the time my dad retires), my thinking was that if I buy a few parts here or there while finishing the body work and interior of the car that once all the other stuff was complete we could build the motor, pull the 350, and drop in the 455. Do you still think buying a complete motor would be best in the scenario?
Old June 5th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by AirborneRME
I would like to build a 455 for the project car I bought my dad and I as a project car. There is a 455 block for sale on craigslist near where I live and I'd like some pointers on what to look for if I decide to buy it...

the post says "olds 455 Fa block F7 in bellhousing area. cleaned and maged .std. needs bored." Are there any areas I should look out for or signs I should be aware of that could turn me away from buying it? Price says $200
I usually pay $150 for a complete core motor, intake to oil pan. Unless you are planning to buy the entire rotating assembly as a custom unit (stroker crank, different rods and pistons, etc), you'll spend way more money tracking down the missing parts. Don't underestimate the difficulty in finding all the small parts like fasteners, oil slinger, etc, etc. This one needs machine work anyway.
Old June 5th, 2013, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I usually pay $150 for a complete core motor, intake to oil pan. Unless you are planning to buy the entire rotating assembly as a custom unit (stroker crank, different rods and pistons, etc), you'll spend way more money tracking down the missing parts. Don't underestimate the difficulty in finding all the small parts like fasteners, oil slinger, etc, etc. This one needs machine work anyway.
Didnt think about that, So if I were to start looking on craigslist for a 455 to restore what should I look out for? How would I know if there are cracks in the block or any other details that should turn me away from buying one?
Old June 5th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Justin

I have bought a few recently .I pulled valve covers and checked the sides of the block , but its really a gamble and with out hearing and seeing it run always consider it a core that needs rebuilt .

If you post your location I am sure there is somebody on the C.O That has one you could buy I know if a few guys with extras 2blu442 had a few awhile back for sell located in Orgeon
Just a idea
Old June 5th, 2013, 09:11 PM

I crank mines up there on the ground. With just a lift