General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Help with a 1954 88

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2013, 07:55 AM

Help with a 1954 88

Here is the link to the ebay auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...87597652#v4-42

I spoke with the "broker" selling the car for the estate, one red flag other than the price is the vin# or data tag shown in the pictures, it looks to have been tack welded on the car, the vin decode says its a 1954 Super 88 built in Linden NJ, what do you guys think, I've made an offer anything on the auction seem off or does it seem legit,
Thanks,
Mark
Old June 13th, 2013, 10:43 AM

x

Originally Posted by coldwar
One: To my eye is definitely a brand new tag even setting aside the method of attachment, Two: simply being from NY state will subject any old car to a extra special close rectal examination, at least in Ohio, how well I know. They are wise to the state by state loopholes now, and in a Ohio state highway patrol inspection that tag and possibly the entire car would likely come under impoundment at least for numbers verification based on that which I have been aware. Without getting in to the tag questions, ask the seller if the door number has been verified as matching with the frame number, which on a car that clean should be easy to do. Otherwise run away from it.

EDIT: Oh, noticed you the buyer are in NY state, well anything goes then. Still looks bad. Why no image of the data plate in the sale?
I called and took the offer off the table, it just doesn't seem right, you can see rust where the tag once was and the new tag surely was tack welded on, thanks for the insight.