General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Heater Control Delete

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2021, 03:48 PM

Heater Control Delete

Ever seen a reproduction delete plate for the heater controls? Specifically, for 1969 442/Cutlass? Thinking about adding Dakota digital's climate control for the vintage air system and a blank plate would be great to cut into for mounting.
Old December 31st, 2021, 07:53 PM
Old(s) Fart

Federal law required heater and defroster in all cars after the 1967 model year, so for the 68-69 cars RPO C48 Heater/Defroster Delete was only available on export cars, and likely installed on very, very few of them at that. The blank-off panels are extremely rare as a result. I've seen repros of the ones for earlier cars but not for the 68-69 cars. I'd also be a little worried about the support that this plastic plate would provide for the control head. You might want to consider starting with an original metal control plate, mill the front and back flat, and use sheet aluminum on both sides to hold the aftermarket control panel parts.

Old December 31st, 2021, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Federal law required heater and defroster in all cars after the 1967 model year, so for the 68-69 cars RPO C48 Heater/Defroster Delete was only available on export cars, and likely installed on very, very few of them at that. The blank-off panels are extremely rare as a result. I've seen repros of the ones for earlier cars but not for the 68-69 cars. I'd also be a little worried about the support that this plastic plate would provide for the control head. You might want to consider starting with an original metal control plate, mill the front and back flat, and use sheet aluminum on both sides to hold the aftermarket control panel parts.

Very good idea! Always appreciate your insight.
Old September 6th, 2022, 09:33 PM

Resurrection for resolution. I found a guy selling an ABS reproduction plate on ebay (paid $42). The delete plate arrived and was pretty decent quality reproduction. It was slightly warped (like me?) so I took the heat gun to it and was patient. Once it was flat it was cooled on an aluminum plate. The seller does castings of rare parts. redvenomrepros on eBay