General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Headlights

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2024 | 04:07 AM
Mikeyt

Headlights

What do you guys use?
I've got a 62 98 and want the brightest stock looking bulbs.

I see the Syvania Silverstars but they only come in low beam. Then there is the extra vision which is a step down but they come in high beam.
Not sure what the deal is but if they look the same off I'm ok with 2 types but really wanted the brightest out there. Stock style of course not some Manny MO and Jack starter pack laser lights. 😁
Old July 22nd, 2024 | 05:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

I use Wagner halogen bulbs.
Old July 22nd, 2024 | 06:35 AM

The more expensive lights e.g., Silver Star vs. Extra vision are a little brighter but don't last as long. If the car isn't a daily driver it's a non-issue. Do make sure all connections are clean, bright and tight to prevent connectors from burning...been there.
Old July 22nd, 2024 | 07:03 AM
Mikeyt

Can't seem to find Wagners around here.
I'll look online.

Brighter the better I can't see a thing with the ones in it now which I have no idea how old they are.
Not a daily driver but will be a never driver if I can't see any better than how it is now.

Thanks
Old July 22nd, 2024 | 07:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Old July 22nd, 2024 | 07:18 AM
Administrator

As you can see, the part numbers for the lamps are H5001 hi beam and H5006 low beam. Any manufacturer with these part numbers will work.
Old July 22nd, 2024 | 08:06 AM
Mikeyt

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Thanks again Joe

I will add this to my alternator order👍
Old July 22nd, 2024 | 08:07 AM
Mikeyt

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
As you can see, the part numbers for the lamps are H5001 hi beam and H5006 low beam. Any manufacturer with these part numbers will work.
Yeah I was just wondering if one was better than the other and if there were any brands to avoid.
I've been out of the old car scene for close to 15 years now and as I am finding out parts wise things are a but different now.
Old July 22nd, 2024 | 09:13 AM

Step up to LEDs. I forget the manufacturer but the old style round bulbs in LED are out there.
Old July 22nd, 2024 | 09:27 AM
Gary

If you have some wiring skill, the most significant thing you can do to give brighter headlights is to install two relays with circuit breakers (one low beam, one high beam).

Wire so that the relays deliver current directly from the horn relay post to the headlamps. Actuate the relays with the existing headlight wiring.

On our old cars, this rewiring comes close to doubling the headlight output.

I've done this for myself and friends. No one believes the light will double until they see it.
Old July 22nd, 2024 | 09:39 AM
Mikeyt

Originally Posted by GN1220
Step up to LEDs. I forget the manufacturer but the old style round bulbs in LED are out there.
I thought about it but all the ones I see don't look stock.
Old July 22nd, 2024 | 09:40 AM
Mikeyt

Originally Posted by VC455
If you have some wiring skill, the most significant thing you can do to give brighter headlights is to install two relays with circuit breakers (one low beam, one high beam).

Wire so that the relays deliver current directly from the horn relay post to the headlamps. Actuate the relays with the existing headlight wiring.

I've done this for myself and friends. No one believes the light will double until they see it.
interesting.
Old July 22nd, 2024 | 01:18 PM

Also make sure the headlights are aimed properly. The brightest light doesn't do much good if it's shining up in the air or on the ground 2 feet in front of the car.
Old July 22nd, 2024 | 02:00 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Fun71
... on the ground 2 feet in front of the car.
At least that way it won't blind oncoming traffic.
Old July 23rd, 2024 | 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mikeyt
What do you guys use?
I've got a 62 98 and want the brightest stock looking bulbs.

I see the Syvania Silverstars but they only come in low beam. Then there is the extra vision which is a step down but they come in high beam.
Not sure what the deal is but if they look the same off I'm ok with 2 types but really wanted the brightest out there. Stock style of course not some Manny MO and Jack starter pack laser lights. 😁
I put these on my car, because as I age I feel like I'm getting a little night blind. These are like modern car headlights in an old school housing. I love them.

Holley RetroBright LFRB145 Holley RetroBright LED Forward Facing Light - Modern White (5700K)

Old July 23rd, 2024 | 03:17 PM

Yes, this is the best modification to improve our headlight output period..
Old July 23rd, 2024 | 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bryan Burch
I put these on my car, because as I age I feel like I'm getting a little night blind. These are like modern car headlights in an old school housing. I love them.

Holley RetroBright LFRB145 Holley RetroBright LED Forward Facing Light - Modern White (5700K)

$386 for a set of headlights seem a bit on the expensive side to me. I dunno about everyone else, but I don't spend that kinda money on my Cutlass.
Old July 23rd, 2024 | 03:57 PM
Running On Empty

Gary - Excellent suggestion...

Old July 23rd, 2024 | 05:09 PM
Mikeyt

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Thanks cheif

Gary was kind enough to send me a bunch of info on this mod.

I've got new Wagners on the way and will be doing this mod soon as I can.
Old July 23rd, 2024 | 05:12 PM
Running On Empty

interesting.
Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
Yes, this is the best modification to improve our headlight output period..
Thanks cheif

Gary was kind enough to send me a bunch of info on this mod.

I've got new Wagners on the way and will be doing this mod soon as I can.
It isn't EXACTLY as Gary stated w/ 2 relays (several ways to skin a cat), but the video I posted demonstrates some basics I thought you might appreciate. Glad Garry helped you out.
Old July 23rd, 2024 | 05:21 PM
Mikeyt

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
It isn't EXACTLY as Gary stated w/ 2 relays (several ways to skin a cat), but the video I posted demonstrates some basics I thought you might appreciate. Glad Garry helped you out.
I very much appreciate the video.
I am a visual learner and the more info the better.
Thanks again👍
Old July 30th, 2024 | 06:59 AM

Hi again, thanks for all the help, it is wonderful.

Any chance someone can send me a copy of the "Video", or where to find it.
Any info would be greatly appreciated, I am confused how that would not interfere with the horn, but then again I'm not a mechanic.

Thanks
Old July 30th, 2024 | 07:48 AM
Running On Empty

The video I posted (above) in Post #18 is located on YouTube. Just click on the video to watch. I cannot send you the video. There may be "other" videos, as well.
Old July 31st, 2024 | 07:53 AM
Running On Empty

Commonly, the device Gary referenced in Post #10 is often termed a horn relay. It is actually composed of two parts: (1) a horn relay itself contained w/in the aluminum metal canister; and, (2) a distribution/junction block which distributes power throughout the vehicle. Note the distribution/junction block is a metal (threaded) post where power wires attach (as Gary stated - the horn relay post). Depending on model/type it is listed as a horn relay by many parts supply houses because the horn relay is contained on the distribution/junction block platform. Many (most) are sold as a horn relay, again this dependent on model/type of what is called the horn relay. Some of these devices, it is possible to change out the horn relay separately from the distribution/junction block. The wiring will not interfere w/ the horn. As noted the relay wiring goes directly to the distribution/junction block (as do all other power wires for your vehicle) to distribute power.

Wire so that the relays deliver current directly from the horn relay post to the headlamps.

Typical Horn Relay (Distribution/Junction Block)

This is a separate horn relay.
Old August 2nd, 2024 | 01:39 PM

I did a similar wiring project on my 1964 El Camino. The difference is amazing. No longer are headlight at idle about as bright as a small birthday calendar. I did the feed to the relays directly from the side post connections on the dual terminal battery (with a proper circuit breaker to protect the circuit). If you really look at what powers the headlights in stock form, it is small gauge wire running from the battery area to the headlight switch, to the dimmer switch to the headlights.. It is a wonder that they ever worked.

Last edited by dfakes; August 2nd, 2024 at 01:42 PM. Reason: spelling errors