Headlight Upgrade Suggestions/Instrument Cluster Light Issue

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2021, 01:28 PM

Headlight Upgrade Suggestions/Instrument Cluster Light Issue

Two things I'm looking for advice on.

Looking to upgrade the very dim sealed beam headlights in my 1956 88. I'm trying out Hella Vision Plus conversion headlights with the H4 halogen bulbs. They are an improvement, but still don't seem to light up the road adequately at night with the low beams. The high beams actually seem okay, but I don't know if other drivers will appreciate that. Not sure how much adjustment can be made as far as alignment on these lights and if that would make a difference, or if someone can suggest other headlight options that would be slightly brighter. I'd like to avoid anything that looks too modern since this vehicle is pretty much all stock, and I also want to make sure I'm going with something that's street legal.

Also, the instrument cluster lights do come on, but they are very dim and the **** that should adjust the brightness seems to have no effect. In fact, as long as the car is running, they seem to come on and remain at the same intensity whether the headlights are on or not. So, I'm not sure if there's a wiring issue, or if something else is going on. Any suggestions?
Old August 11th, 2021, 05:21 PM
72 Olds CS

Id check the voltage at the headlights and be sure your seeing 13.5 + at the lights
If you have good voltage at the headlights try aiming them as best as possible.
Old August 12th, 2021, 07:05 AM

Check ALL grounds on car, connection integrity at lights and as Retro mentioned, voltage at lights, deal with accordingly. Consider relays and wiring for lights, especially if bulbs are higher wattage than original.

One more band aid, should be running relays with these, IMO. >

https://www.rallylights.com/hella-do...8122-each.html
Old August 12th, 2021, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check that. Any thoughts on the instrument cluster?
Old August 12th, 2021, 04:16 PM

Work the dimmer from full bright to dim several times. Spray some electrical contact cleaner in the switch. If that doesn’t work, the switch is probably defective.