General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Having a Mid Winter Bath

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2011, 09:51 AM
STOP call'n it a Chevelle

Having a Mid Winter Bath

SInce it was only -4C today and had a free minute.... Millie got a quick rinse. These are the first pictures since moving before Christmas. She had a thick film of dust from the belly of a transport truck, one drive in the rain and sitting in the garage for two months. She looks much cleaner now.

Just so you know, washing a car outside when it is below freezing makes your driveway pretty slick.

Adam
Old February 13th, 2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by arodenhiser
Just so you know, washing a car outside when it is below freezing makes your driveway pretty slick.

Adam

You're a braver man than me. I'm surprised the water came out of the hose.
Old February 13th, 2011, 10:23 AM

Better get Millie inside before she catches a cold! Man, I can FEEL that -4C just looking at the pictures! I've been enjoying around 70 degree sunshine everyday for about 2 weeks here in Northern CA.(yeah, we're spoiled here) But were due for about a week of rain now. Nice car ya got there. What size tires are you running? Chumley
Old February 13th, 2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
You're a braver man than me. I'm surprised the water came out of the hose.
The hose is mounted inside the garage. The garage is heated and maintains about +8C / +46F. The water in the hose won't freeze up. The water drops on the shade side of the car did freeze.

Originally Posted by Chumley
Better get Millie inside before she catches a cold! Man, I can FEEL that -4C just looking at the pictures! I've been enjoying around 70 degree sunshine everyday for about 2 weeks here in Northern CA.(yeah, we're spoiled here) But were due for about a week of rain now. Nice car ya got there. What size tires are you running? Chumley
She won't get to cold, she is back in the garage now. I had to move her out to bolt a new garage door opener to the ceiling. We won't see the 70's F until late May here.
I have 245-60-15 BFG Radial T/A's on 15x7 rims. I did have 255-60-15 before without any problems.

Adam
Old February 13th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Cutlass Lover

She feels much better, I'm sure!! I took my Intrigue to the car wash yesterday and got all those layers of salt off of her. She liked it! Got her underneath real good and clear coated the heck out of her, lol!
Old February 13th, 2011, 11:46 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Millie looks great! you are brave washing her outside in this weather. I've never used it yet but don't forget there is a waterless car wash product on the market.I just might try using one of these products.

As I mentioned,Millie looks great! I really dig 68's and feel the same about the 68 H/O paint scheme.
These different color H/O paint schemes are great.Here recently I've seen your blue/black,a black/red version and a red/black version.

cool stuff
Old February 13th, 2011, 05:28 PM

Great shots! That color looks grat in the sun with a snowy background.
However I felt the chills when thinking of washing it then....
I have washed cars when it was that cold and it was no fun. Forget the drying part..........
Old February 13th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Great shots! That color looks grat in the sun with a snowy background.
However I felt the chills when thinking of washing it then....
I have washed cars when it was that cold and it was no fun. Forget the drying part..........
You guys that live in the warmer climates have thin blood, if global warming keeps up on going the way it's been going you're all going to freeze to death.
Us Yankees (and the people that live in that country above us, I always forget the name of it?) will rule the world!!

I wet sanded the clearcoat on my GTO in single digit weather in my old detached garage with no heat.
Icicles were hanging off the rocker panels, the heat from the friction from me stroking the sanding block was the only thing that kept the water from freezing under the sandpaper as I was doing it.
I had to keep bottles of water under my coat next to my skin so they wouldn't freeze, every few minutes I filled my mouth with water to keep it liquid and would dribble it out slowly on the car to keep the the paper wet when I was sanding.
Old February 15th, 2011, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
You guys that live in the warmer climates have thin blood, if global warming keeps up on going the way it's been going you're all going to freeze to death.
Us Yankees (and the people that live in that country above us, I always forget the name of it?) will rule the world!!

I wet sanded the clearcoat on my GTO in single digit weather in my old detached garage with no heat.
Icicles were hanging off the rocker panels, the heat from the friction from me stroking the sanding block was the only thing that kept the water from freezing under the sandpaper as I was doing it.
I had to keep bottles of water under my coat next to my skin so they wouldn't freeze, every few minutes I filled my mouth with water to keep it liquid and would dribble it out slowly on the car to keep the the paper wet when I was sanding.
You should have tried that water trick with a set of bag pipes under your arm, under your clothes...
Old February 15th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Not an Olds guy. Car guy

Geez, man. My bones were cracking this morning at 45 degrees. But at least we are supposed to hit 80 today. Much braver than me.
Old February 15th, 2011, 05:57 AM
No it's not a parts car!!

Been in the mid 40*s last couple days( shorts and T-shirt weather) Yesterday I spent a couple hours changing the alternater in my Ford cargo van. Had to strip down to my T-shirt (started to sweat) When my Brother in law brings the family to visit from San Diego during the summers, If it gets down to 70* at night we need to break out our winter coats for them. Wimps!!!
Old February 15th, 2011, 06:23 AM

I would not try to go out and do that today, -6C/21F with a 48kph/29mph wind and gusts to 62khp/39mph. Light snow showers.

Not as nice as Sunday was. Millie is happy in her heated garage.

Adam
Old February 15th, 2011, 07:42 PM

You are a brave person. I don't like washing my car at +10C because the water is cold. And I am used to winter.

Hmm, it is supposed to go up to +10C here on Friday.