General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Have You Seen This '68 442 For Sale?

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2012, 04:38 PM

Have You Seen This '68 442 For Sale?

Q: Have You Seen This '68 442 For Sale?

A: Most Likely!

Here's the link from Michigan...
http://www.vanguardmotorsales.com/In...2/Default.aspx

Last edited by Jaybird; January 24th, 2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old January 24th, 2012, 06:13 PM

$25k is a lot of money for a car that virtually nothing is "correct" on.
Old January 24th, 2012, 06:46 PM

allyolds68: That's a good start! As an owner of a 1967 Delta 88, I have no idea what is correct and what is just plain wrong with this 1968 442.
One of the big reasons I really like this forum is because, those in the know might just jump in and tell us what is what! To me, besides the
incorrect air cleaner, bad paint (in spots), roach burns underneath the rear floor mats and the wrong jack, there is nothing wrong with this car!

So... What is correct and what is incorrect about this car?

Love Ya's!

Last edited by Jaybird; January 24th, 2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old January 24th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jaybird
allyolds68: That's a good start! As an owner of a 1967 Delta 88, I have no idea what is correct and what is just plain wrong with this '68 442.
One of the big reasons I really like this forum is because, those in the know will jump in and tell us what is what!

So... What is correct and what is incorrect about this car?

Thanks Much!
Well, I need some help on this so alleyolds68 jump in anytime - I know you're an expert on 68/69's

1. A 442 would come with a 400 engine (although the seller says it's a non numbers replacement 455)
2. 355 gears? I can't find anywhere in the CSM that shows the 68 442 would have those. With a 400 it should have 4:33
3. The tic toc tac is in the car, but why are there other gauges hanging below the dash?
4. The stripe is in the wrong spot with wrong spacing between the narrow/wide. Also the stripe should stop quite a bit lower than the 442 emblems and start again about 1/2"? above them
5. Rallye wheels didn't have a normal jack tie down.
6. Is that the right axle? It looks like a C pumpkin and I thought the 442s had an O axle.
7. I don't know if you want to pick on the aftermarket stereo and rear speakers.
8. The cowl tag shows PNT code G G which means willow gold upper and lower body.
Old January 24th, 2012, 09:46 PM

clearly the stripe is wrong,
The engine is at least painted wrong but looks like a 455
I was wondering about the bucket seats was it 68 that had the release button on the side and 69-72 had it in the middle, so those are wrong
Wrong spare
Not sure about the shifter handle either
Old January 25th, 2012, 02:45 AM
Official Tire Kicker

I thought the 68 would have been SSI's, the 68 didn't have head rests, and as mentioned the stereo, the extra gauges, and the 455. I'm sure Joe will talk about the stripe and other things that are wrong. I actually like the look of the car, just wouldn't pay that much for it.
Old January 25th, 2012, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Willidog
I thought the 68 would have been SSI's, the 68 didn't have head rests, and as mentioned the stereo, the extra gauges, and the 455. I'm sure Joe will talk about the stripe and other things that are wrong. I actually like the look of the car, just wouldn't pay that much for it.
-68 could have head rests, it was a fairly rare option but as someone else mentioned these are 69-72 seats
-the interior has a lot of things not quite right. The three holes in the console plate are a distraction
-yeah, no T handle
- the steering wheel
-I'm pretty sure the door panels are supposed to have 4 screws holding them at the bottom
-the engine bay is completely wrong except the radiator top plate. I don't even think the shroud is the right one

It's a clean car and it's a 442.

As an older restoration $15,000 - $20,000 is a decent price for it.
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

68 had gray wheels, and they were bolt in center caps.
Not color matched to the body, and snap on center caps.
It also has a 10 bolt rear end with a chrome cover.
Steering wheel gets a thumbs down, and the spare tire/rim looks like it's from an 80's car.
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I can't say too many horrible things though. It not only survived, it survived with nicer parts.
Correct or not, at least this car was upgraded and not junked.
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
I can't say too many horrible things though. It not only survived, it survived with nicer parts.
Correct or not, at least this car was upgraded and not junked.
That's pretty much sums it up. I see nothing wrong at all with how this car is presented.
There are no claims of originality and correctness, in fact the seller makes a point of the engine not being original or correct. There appears to be nothing that is attempted to be hidden or misrepresented.
The only problem with a car not being original and/or correct is when there are claims that it is something that it isn't.

Ironically, there are things stated in this thread that are not correct either!
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:42 AM

and it is a nice looking car, but agree its priced bit high to me
Old January 25th, 2012, 10:36 AM

Too high of a price. For non-numbers, 4 speed car, I'd say $15k +/-. However, if money were no object, I'd be all over it regardless of it's faults. I think it was converted to buckets and 4 speed. Why else would it end up with wrong year seat? However it has the correct speedo for floor shift and ralley pack. If I ever do another 68, it will not be correct either... 455, 4 or 5 speed, and modern suspension upgrades.
Old January 25th, 2012, 11:15 AM
delete

Originally Posted by Allan R
3. The tic toc tac is in the car, but why are there other gauges hanging below the dash?
The aftermkt guages look to be mechanical Autometers, and not even the cheaper Autogage. These would be a lot more accurate than the factory stuff. Its a nice car but a hot rod, not a matching #'s resto and it isn't presented to be. There is nothing wrong with that except that it is priced a little high. Stripes aren't correct but that's a nice color combo.

Its funny that everyone bashes the '68/'69 400 except when one is missing from a '68/'69 442.
Old January 25th, 2012, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by MX442
I think it was converted to buckets and 4 speed. Why else would it end up with wrong year seat? However it has the correct speedo for floor shift and ralley pack.
It's a 940 car. Black Strato bucket interior......But...something isn't quite right about the way the seats are attached at the floor. It almost looks like there's a block of wood there. Maybe it's electrical unistrut

Hard to tell if it was originally a 4 speed. Probably was

The speedo is a speedminder. I'm not sure I've ever seen one on a 442. I know they offered safety sentinal but I'm not sure if that's the same thing. Wmachines can chime in on that one.

My car has 69 buckets and it's a 940. It came with them when I got the car & I recovered them in a 68 pattern because I liked the headrests. What was really stupid is I had a set of 68 only headrest seats but I needed the money for the restoration so I sold them.

Last edited by allyolds68; January 25th, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old January 25th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by allyolds68
The speedo is a speedminder. I'm not sure I've ever seen one on a 442. I know they offered safety sentinal but I'm not sure if that's the same thing.
Found this on ROP
U22 Safety Sentinel Combined with Rocket Rally Pac.
Available in Vista Cruiser, Cutlass Supreme, Cutlass V-8s and F-85 V-8s.
(Note: This option is described as "N/A with U21 Safety Sentinal" (above), and is not listed in the Salesman's pocket guide, yet is referred to in "1961-1969 Cutlass F-85 4-4-2 - A Book of Information" as a valid option.
Old January 25th, 2012, 05:11 PM

It is currently on ebay
Old January 26th, 2012, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
It's a 940 car. Black Strato bucket interior......But...something isn't quite right about the way the seats are attached at the floor.
My badd. I was too lazy to read the cowl tag. Still doesn't explain why someone would swap out buckets for buckets.
Old January 26th, 2012, 04:24 PM

I have two theories on this, one he replaced the floor pans and these are aftermarket bracks, or two he used spacers on the front to tilt the seats back. I had a 68 442 back in the day and I had mine tilted back like this as well. I was 16 at the time so what did I know
Old January 28th, 2012, 09:41 AM

My badd. I was too lazy to read the cowl tag. Still doesn't explain why someone would swap out buckets for buckets.
Perhaps a previous owner wanted headrests, and all he could find were these.
Old January 28th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Trying to remember member

Not a mystery to me. "Back in the day" it was not at all uncommon at all to swap out seats for various reasons, I think mainly because of the upholstery being worn out. There were not upholstery seat kits back then and and it was cheaper *and* easier to just replace the seats. And a much larger % of owners back then were not concerned with what was "correct".
When I bought my '66 Sports Coupe back in '93 the buckets we not correct. I had the chance to meet a previous owner who had the car in the late around 1970, and he was the one who swapped the seats. Why? He said the car launched so hard, he broke the seat back on the original seat. What did he replace the seats with? Bucket seats from a full size Chrysler product. Honest!