General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Has anyone else seen this?

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2014, 12:10 PM

Has anyone else seen this?

I pulled the body of the 68 this last weekend and noticed that both sides of the floor along the rocker panels were painted, after body color was applied but before they sprayed the undercoating in the rear fender wells. I ran into the same thing on my 67, except the 67 had a light greenish color paint applied in the same manor. Both cars are Lansing built cars. I assume this is a corrosion protective measure. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this, my 71 Cutlass built in Fremont doesn’t have this.

First picture is before I pressured washed the underside and shows the paint under body bushing mount.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
HPIM1960.jpg (40.1 KB, 122 views)
HPIM1959.jpg (64.6 KB, 100 views)
Old February 20th, 2014, 01:26 PM

I did...

look through my build thread, I saw what I thought was a teal or greenish paint in the same location as you mentioned? mine is a lansing built car, let me see if I can find the pic..
I just thought it was weird overspray?
Old February 20th, 2014, 01:38 PM

found it...

here is what I found, my car was originally sadlle green, but none of that color was there it was then painted black, again no overspray there it looked sort of teal here is my original post about it

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...3-post237.html

Old February 20th, 2014, 02:44 PM

green paint

Hey:
I found the same color paint under the floor braces on my 66 Cutlass when I changed those and along the floor as well when replacing it. The car was originally buckskin or fawn color when it was new, not sure of the build plant though, not really researched it that far yet.
Thanks Ron
Old February 20th, 2014, 04:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Kevin W
Both cars are Lansing built cars. I assume this is a corrosion protective measure. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this, my 71 Cutlass built in Fremont doesn’t have this.
Not an uncommon thing to see. Don't forget also that each Assembly line for A body Olds had it's own Fisher Body Plant closeby. It's a well documented factoid that lots of procedures that happened in one plant didn't always happen in another. Spraying the bottom of the car black was a corrosion protection measure and was done even earlier than you might think.
Old February 20th, 2014, 05:48 PM

Thanks guys, just as I thought, I'm thinking it was extra corrosion protection outside of the standard black primer they sprayed on the body panels. Makes sense for cars from Lansing being in the rust belt, west coast doesn't have the salt.

Here's some more pics after my power wash. Majority of the undercoating over spray came off, but you can see in the first pic that it was indeed applied after this reddish paint was applied.
Attached Images
HPIM1966.jpg (55.7 KB, 35 views)
HPIM1968.jpg (52.3 KB, 35 views)
HPIM1969.jpg (77.3 KB, 37 views)
Old February 21st, 2014, 05:32 AM

Kevin glad it helps ? I am not reproducing that lol your underside looks great, I ended up stripping mine down to bare metal, I didn't have a rotissere but that experience if I had to do again I would buy rent borrow build one it was one nasty dirty job..

Another thing I noticed but not sure is the inside rocker looked galvanized? Just the verticle piece , after I stripped this area and then por-15, then interlocking primer stuff for the program 15, then the underside paint, I sprayed undercoating in this area as you can't really see this area and it seems like a real trap all my inside rockers were nearly perfect wanted to keep that way, . Probably way overkill but might as well
Old February 21st, 2014, 06:18 AM

Hey Eddie, I noticed that the same on mine, the rocker being galvanized. I also noticed that the brace piece at the end of the trunk floor is galvanized as well.

I agree, its a nasty job. I wish I had a rotisserie, the only reason I have not bought one is when its not being used, it has to be stored. I'm glad to have the lift. I spent three weeks removing undercoating on my 67, turned out very nice and zero rust, but what a chore.