General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

The "Handsomest One" has landed...

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Cutlass Lover

......LOL, a big paragraph to be summed up in a few words...a new top.

Thanks!!!! LOL!
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by orthoK
congrats colonel- you gotta be happy with that very tidy looking car
sorry col- hahaha. the honorary sherrif badge for classic oldsmobile is in the mail :P

colonel wickham does have a good ring to it
Old March 17th, 2010, 09:07 PM
car guy

very nice looking car !! Congrats!
Old March 18th, 2010, 12:18 AM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by yzzerdd
Well, I used to own a 91 Mercury Capri (convertible) and you could buy a tonneau cover for it. The cover went along the back seats and the front passenger seat, a cover. It didn't lay ontop of the seats, but instead went over the top of them, to provide more covered cargo area. The backseat could lay down flat, opening up to the trunk, so I guess it was like a trunk extension.

Anyhow, by his context, it seems to me that a "tonneau" would mean a cover of some sort, most likely the top. He's pricing a new top for the car.

LOL, a big paragraph to be summed up in a few words...a new top.

--Ryan
It's a bit confusing....When I owned an MGA the Tonneau was exactly what you said, it covered the cockpit and had a zippied flap which uncovered the drivers seat. So you could drive it with the top down in the cold without the wind chill factor from the neck down and it was great if you wanted to park your car in the sun or under trees without putting the top up.
The tonneau I'm talking about with the Olds is what many refer to as a "boot". Covers the top when it's down and tidies up the appearance. Parade boot is another term. I've also heard it called a tonneau in the States which what I stick to because a Boot to me is the trunk (just like a hood is a bonnet). Anyway, Fusicks sell them for $123. The car has a new top, all new rubbers (right round the car), new pump and lines for the top as well. New seat covers, carpet, door trims etc etc. The car hasn't been driven so I'll be spending a bit of time underneath it tonight tightening things up. It goes well & sounds great.
Will spend some time on it over the next day or so & post some snaps.
Old March 18th, 2010, 12:28 AM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Colonel.... can I still call you Colonel?? LOL! So he is at home now?? Did you put gas in him and go driving?? How's he run? We need all the details!! And more detailed pics asap!!!!

PS..... what's a tonneau??
Of course you can call me Colonel......I'll be upset if you don't
I think it's cool and I like it. I was kicking myself for being boring and putting my real name in as my user name but now it's kinda turned into a forum nickname and that's cool. There have been some dubious Colonels over the years: Col Klink, Col Sanders, Montgomery J Claxton (from Calvin & The Colonel) and Col Wickham from Classic Olds.com.
Tell me truthfully Sandy...did you not know Col was my name??
Old March 18th, 2010, 04:03 AM

Why did you let them put a FORD on top? A real beauty -- Wish it had landed in England I would have been glad to store it for you. Andy
Old March 18th, 2010, 04:08 AM

Regarding names--being a retired Cop(36 yrs), all my other names would not be allowed on the forum. Andy
Old March 18th, 2010, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Col Wickham
Of course you can call me Colonel......I'll be upset if you don't
I think it's cool and I like it. I was kicking myself for being boring and putting my real name in as my user name but now it's kinda turned into a forum nickname and that's cool. There have been some dubious Colonels over the years: Col Klink, Col Sanders, Montgomery J Claxton (from Calvin & The Colonel) and Col Wickham from Classic Olds.com.
Tell me truthfully Sandy...did you not know Col was my name??
And Majors as well. Like Major Major
Old March 18th, 2010, 05:54 AM
goin crusn in my55 olds

Congrates col, good to see it arrived in one piece , so i suppose its of for a blue slip soon , or are you goin club rego?, ours hasn't left yet, D'OH , end of this week is what there telling me, starting to wish i did use mick to ship the car, ah well ,we just have to be patient.
Looking forward to seeing yours on a club run soon.
cheers chris.
Old March 18th, 2010, 06:55 AM

Sydney is strategically placed so that as the ships from the North arrive here they are just completing their flip and their cargo just falls off. Our wharves are made of foam rubber so nothing gets damaged. The Olds was loaded upside down in California so it came out on its wheels at this end and that's enough crap for one night. It might be 8.50am in Connecticut (just off the phone to Fusicks re a new tonneau) but it's 11.50 pm here. So good morning America, I'm off to bed ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
Fusicks; not a fan....... there are more companies that may ship to Australia ya know.

John

Last edited by Eightupman; March 18th, 2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Cutlass Lover

.....Tell me truthfully Sandy...did you not know Col was my name??

Well, no I didn't! When I first saw your user name, "Colonel" is what registered in my little brain! So "Colonel" you became to me! LOL!! It's embarassing now that I've been set straight! Colonel Wickham just sounds so elegant!!
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
.....Tell me truthfully Sandy...did you not know Col was my name??

Well, no I didn't! When I first saw your user name, "Colonel" is what registered in my little brain! So "Colonel" you became to me! LOL!! It's embarassing now that I've been set straight! Colonel Wickham just sounds so elegant!!
You've branded him now Sandy, he will be the Colonel forever on CO

PS I didn't know until now that you had a little brain
Old March 18th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Cutlass Lover

*GASP* My secret is out!! Now you know what I have you guys for, LOL!!
Old March 18th, 2010, 08:42 AM

good luck, and watch for road trains and wallabey's
Old March 18th, 2010, 05:49 PM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by rocketdownunder
Congrates col, good to see it arrived in one piece , so i suppose its of for a blue slip soon , or are you goin club rego?, ours hasn't left yet, D'OH , end of this week is what there telling me, starting to wish i did use mick to ship the car, ah well ,we just have to be patient.
Looking forward to seeing yours on a club run soon.
cheers chris.
Got the blue slip this morning....no probs what so ever. Our local guy is pretty good. Weighs in at 1800kg, that's 200 more than the 67 and 300 more than the road runner. It's a heavy car. I took the opportunity to open it up along a good straight section into Camden this morning. It's a weapon alright. It's quicker than the road runner, but unlike the beeper this one stops.
I'm now off to the RTA which is the big challenge. Will they insist on an engineers certificate? Gee I hope not. 1972 is the year it came into force but I have an email from their technical dept confirming that it's August 1972. The Olds was built 4/72 so I have right on my side which often means nothing to those useless %$#@ards at the RTA.
Old March 18th, 2010, 05:52 PM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by stan 65 cutlass
good luck, and watch for road trains and wallabey's
Pretty hard to miss a road train...no so easy missing wallabies.....or moreso wombats where I live.
The car (yet to be named) won't be out after dark anyway.
You been out here?
Old March 18th, 2010, 05:54 PM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by Eightupman
Fusicks; not a fan....... there are more companies that may ship to Australia ya know.

John
Let me know who you'd suggest John....send me a PM if you like.
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:51 PM

never been, heard lots, mom and brother wnt 2 years ago.kinda jelous. always liked the freaky critters and aus. new zeal. has em. now another 442 prowling the streets. enjoy. stan
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:59 PM

Got the blue slip this morning....no probs what so ever. Our local guy is pretty good. Weighs in at 1800kg, that's 200 more than the 67 and 300 more than the road runner. It's a heavy car. I took the opportunity to open it up along a good straight section into Camden this morning. It's a weapon alright. It's quicker than the road runner, but unlike the beeper this one stops.
I'm now off to the RTA which is the big challenge. Will they insist on an engineers certificate? Gee I hope not. 1972 is the year it came into force but I have an email from their technical dept confirming that it's August 1972. The Olds was built 4/72 so I have right on my side which often means nothing to those useless %$#@ards at the RTA.
all the best col, sometimes its depends on who you get on the day. heres hoping its someone that appreciates a great piece of machinery and not some nerd with a chip on his shoulder