General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Is Hall's Oldsmobile Salvage still around?

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2009, 08:00 AM

Is Hall's Oldsmobile Salvage still around?

I was going through some documentation I had for Oldsmobile's and found a listing for Hall's Olds Salvage in Soldier City, KS.
Does anybody know what happened to them or if the still exist under a different name?
I know back in the "day" they used to have one of the largest selections of Oldsmobile parts and cars.
Old December 5th, 2009, 08:06 AM

They closed back in the 1990s. As I understand it, Earl(?) Hall, the owner, tried to sell the operation, but I don't think he was successful, and I think everything finally went to the crusher. This was all at least a decade ago, maybe decade and a half.

Last edited by jaunty75; December 5th, 2009 at 08:08 AM.
Old December 5th, 2009, 10:12 AM

[quote=jaunty75;128880] and I think everything finally went to the crusher.

That alone can make a grown man cry! What a shame.
Old December 5th, 2009, 10:14 AM

As I recall, they tried to do the right thing and offered any car on their lot for $300 if you would come and take it away. I'm sure they sold some that way, but certainly not all.
Old December 5th, 2009, 11:47 AM

Sounds like a familiar story for salvage yards in general. We had a couple here in NC that had the same thing happen 5 or so years ago.
Old December 5th, 2009, 05:47 PM

Salvage Yards

Anyone know if the following is still in business:

Originality Plus
8043 Montara Ave.
Rancho Cucamonga
California

I ordered a roof clip for a 1980 Olds Cutlass Supreme from them several years ago and never got it. I had prepaid $250.00 and shortly thereafter they had a hugh brush fire in Rancho Cucamonga and I was never able to contact them again. If they burned I'm sure they had insurance but their records may have been destroyed.
Old December 5th, 2009, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by BOOWAH

Originality Plus
8043 Montara Ave.
Rancho Cucamonga
California
There's an ebay seller going by that name, and he has Olds stuff, among others. Could be a coincidence.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/original...s/m.html?_nkw=
Old December 5th, 2009, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by BOOWAH

Originality Plus
8043 Montara Ave.
Rancho Cucamonga
California

I ordered a roof clip for a 1980 Olds Cutlass Supreme from them several years ago and never got it. I had prepaid $250.00 and shortly thereafter they had a hugh brush fire in Rancho Cucamonga and I was never able to contact them again. If they burned I'm sure they had insurance but their records may have been destroyed.

I went to google maps and it looks like a residential area and the address points to a house. Could not see Montara Ave. Street view should be taken with a grain of salt however, as my house address is 28 but google shows it as 78. There is no 78 on our street. Looks like it's not around anymore or at least not at the address given.
Old December 6th, 2009, 05:32 AM

I visited Halls back when the nationals were in Omaha Neb. The yard was well layed out ,he had each year in a row and the toro's were on top of the hill.I was interested in the 63s and my friend was looking at the 62 starfires.We ended up just walking around and checking out the 64 starfires he had along the fence line (at least 20)
We ended up back at the main building with tables of NOS parts set out by the year.
The NOS parts were sold to another friend of mine as a package and have long since been sold off,I tried to purchase all of his 63 98s as a package but at the time he only wanted to sell the yard for a million dollars (if I remember right on the price).
I felt that the price was well worth it but a little out of my reach and then moving all those cars to Canada not an easy job.
I didn't hear that he was selling singles out of his yard or I would have bought a few of the 63s from him.
That had to of been 15 years ago by now,we should have had a cruise weekend to his place and had the tour,it was a fantastic yard with lots of clean cars.
I THOUGHT I WAS IN OLDSMOBILE HEAVEN MAN
Old December 6th, 2009, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Oldskeeper
but at the time he only wanted to sell the yard for a million dollars (if I remember right on the price).
I felt that the price was well worth it but a little out of my reach and then moving all those cars to Canada not an easy job.
A million dollars. Wow. I would have thought that whoever bought the operation would have been someone who could keep it right there in Kansas. I would think that moving an operation and all those old cars, many of which were probably partially disassembled, would have been prohibitively expensive and probably wouldn't have made the deal worth it.