General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Guess I ain't gettin one.

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2017, 01:17 PM

Guess I ain't gettin one.

7000 applicants, 500 cars.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthu...cid=spartandhp
Old June 27th, 2017, 04:56 PM

So, obviously, Ford chose people with reach. Music sensation Deadmau5, baseball star and noted car enthusiast C.J. Wilson, Youtuber Shmee150, and Brooks from Dragtimes are among the list of approved applicants. Whether you're a fan of these names or not, you can't deny they have influence.

A fan? I don't even have any idea who those people are.
Old June 27th, 2017, 06:58 PM
72 Olds CS

im a pretty hip dude and ive never heard of any of those guys either.

BTW Ford did offer me one but at this time i felt it was prudent to decline i dont want my good name sullied by those nonames !!!
Old June 27th, 2017, 08:00 PM

meh just another crappy overpriced ford.
Old June 28th, 2017, 05:25 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Ettore Bugatti reputedly would only let you buy one of his cars after he had met you in person. If he didn't think you were the right person to own one you didn't get one.

Roger.
Old June 28th, 2017, 06:04 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I hardly think this is just another overpriced Ford. Take a look at the previous GT. I think it proves that American automakers can build a supercar. Handpicking initial buyers is nothing new. Chevrolet did it with the Corvette in 1953 (John Wayne got one) and Ford did it with the Continental in 1956 with people like Nelson Rockefeller, Elizabeth Taylor and Elvis getting them. Maybe I don't get out enough since I never heard of most of the people mentioned other than Jay Leno. I wonder if will get serial number 1.
Old June 28th, 2017, 06:40 AM
delete

Originally Posted by Fun71
So, obviously, Ford chose people with reach. Music sensation Deadmau5, baseball star and noted car enthusiast C.J. Wilson, Youtuber Shmee150, and Brooks from Dragtimes are among the list of approved applicants. Whether you're a fan of these names or not, you can't deny they have influence.

A fan? I don't even have any idea who those people are.

A YouTube guy & a guy from Drag Times can afford a $450K car?
Old June 28th, 2017, 06:43 AM
delete

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople

I'm sure its a great car, but is it worth 3x what the '05 model was? This sales model adds to the allure & the exclusivity but mostly that's what these people are paying for.
Lexus priced their sports car in that same range & it flopped. It's now discontinued & Lexus is trying again with a $100K car.
Old June 28th, 2017, 07:54 AM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople
No such thing!!!

Ford built the original gt40 to compete w Lamborghini....sadly that didn't happen...the ford GTs finished 1-2-3 while Lamborghini couldn't compete

If you've never driven a newer mustang you should, the cars are comfortable smooth and fast while returning good fuel economy and if you purchase a few year old model you'll find them quite affordable
Old June 28th, 2017, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
No such thing!!!

Ford built the original gt40 to compete w Lamborghini....sadly that didn't happen...the ford GTs finished 1-2-3 while Lamborghini couldn't compete

If you've never driven a newer mustang you should, the cars are comfortable smooth and fast while returning good fuel economy and if you purchase a few year old model you'll find them quite affordable
That was a Ferrari It beat!
Old June 28th, 2017, 08:59 AM

No such thing!!!

Ford built the G.T.40 to beat Ferrari at LeMans .And the reason was that Ferrari was kicking Ford's *** in international races. Ford wanted to buy Ferrari and Enzo basically told Ford to get lost.
Old June 28th, 2017, 10:37 AM

Very Impressive

Anyone look at the numbers for this car?

It makes 550 HP which is three HP per cubic inch.

550 ft lb of torque: nearly exactly what a healthy 460 CI big block Oldsmobile makes

7000 RPM redline

10 second 1/4 mile times

It has one HP per 5 pounds of O/A weight.

All from a 213 CI six cylinder engine!

http://www.caranddriver.com/ford/gt

Old June 28th, 2017, 12:24 PM
delete

No such thing!!!

I leased my wife a 2015 Explorer Ltd. Pretty high end car. It was such a POS I just went out of pocket to break the lease a year early. Ford can & does build some crappy cars (just like every other company).
Old June 28th, 2017, 12:36 PM

I think the ones made since Ford re-introduced them have re-sold for more then sticker any time they are auctioned.
I would like to see Ford use this engine in Indy-cars.
And yes, the original was built after Enzo re-buffed Edsel Fords offer to buy Ferrari. He went back to his engineers and told them to build a car to beat Ferrari at Le-Mans. And they certainly did. The original used GT-40 as that was the overall height of the car. (40 inches)Now they are just GT. (according to "Wheels for the World", a great book on the history of Ford.)
Old June 28th, 2017, 12:38 PM
72 Olds CS

LOL Ok ferrari not lambo the point remains tho

re ron sorry to hear that im sure all car companys can and do build less than perfect cars, I too once owned an explorer i was less than thrilled with traded it in on a VW i was even less happy with, one the other hand ive owned lots of Fords ive been very happy with.
Old June 30th, 2017, 07:13 AM

Hmmm, they called me and said I could have two, all I had to do is come down and pick out the colors. I told them I don't have the time, maybe next year.
Old June 30th, 2017, 08:03 AM
delete

LOL Ok ferrari not lambo the point remains tho

re ron sorry to hear that im sure all car companys can and do build less than perfect cars, I too once owned an explorer i was less than thrilled with traded it in on a VW i was even less happy with, one the other hand ive owned lots of Fords ive been very happy with.

I've always been a buy American type. I leased a 2007 Acadia when it 1st came out. Really good car. After that I bought an '09 Acadia based on my good experience. Car was a nightmare. I ended up suing GM and got some of my purchase price back. Next had a '12 Acura MDX. Drove nice but had stupid problems and the dealer was hard to work with. Replaced that with the Explorer. In the course of three weeks had two fuel delivery issues that left the car stranded. Again, dealer was a PITA. Broke the lease early and now have an Infiniti SUV. Hopefully we have better luck.
Old June 30th, 2017, 10:02 AM

I'm a buy good cars type. Publicly traded companies are "based" wherever the stockholders are. I will agree that some money goes back to the HQ wherever it is, but I'd put more value in buying American cars if Detroit wasn't such a shithole.

As for Ford, my family has owned 4 Econolines in the 70s, and still have one of them. Good vehicle. We have a 67 Bronco, also a good vehicle. Ford paint has always been great. We have owned a modern Bronco, a Grand Marquis, and two Explorers. Fords tend to blow automatic overdrive transmissions, water pumps, and power window motors and gears, and front bearings, in my experience. The paint is great, engines themselves are very good, and the radio and HVACs are great too. Chrome was excellent, may still be.
Old June 30th, 2017, 11:11 AM

I was drug up driving Chebies, When I got my 1st Ford Ltd. My dad said, "When it says E it means empty." Naturally. I didn't listen and ran out of gas alll the time
Old June 30th, 2017, 12:54 PM
Runner

Originally Posted by droptopron
A YouTube guy & a guy from Drag Times can afford a $450K car?
You don't even want to know what some of the popular youtubers are making. It'll cause your head to explode.