General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

gold and black 69 442 ??????

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2009, 10:18 AM

Thumbs up gold and black 69 442 ??????

i hve a 69 cutlass, actually i vave 2 of them. One of them needs a little tlc and the outher a full resto job.

And i kind off noticed that one off the only 1-18 scale or whatever models come gold and black. It looks like a verry dark gold, my two cutlass s and a supreme were both origanaly gold but seem to be a light gold.
so
1: were 442's painted a diffrent color gold and what type?

2: when i restor my one i want to do a tribute or clone a 442 even though its a auto and 350 or should i leave it a "S" and just go with the gold black and just put the ram air hood on it

or make it into a hurst olds clone (would be nice to see one actually being driven down the road!!)

thanks
Old March 11th, 2009, 10:25 AM

Or what outher color scheme would you do the interior is mostly that green gold color the dash and stuff i intend to change most the other interior black leaving the head linner and dash and a couple other colors , or should i just trash everything go with whatever and do the hole DYE the dash and stuff ,
Old March 11th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jmac69cutty's
i hve a 69 cutlass, actually i vave 2 of them. One of them needs a little tlc and the outher a full resto job.

And i kind off noticed that one off the only 1-18 scale or whatever models come gold and black. It looks like a verry dark gold, my two cutlass s and a supreme were both origanaly gold but seem to be a light gold.
so
1: were 442's painted a diffrent color gold and what type?

2: when i restor my one i want to do a tribute or clone a 442 even though its a auto and 350 or should i leave it a "S" and just go with the gold black and just put the ram air hood on it

or make it into a hurst olds clone (would be nice to see one actually being driven down the road!!)

thanks
Your first mistake is assuming that the die cast model used the correct color paint. Having said that, there WERE two different golds offered in 1969, paint code 75 Aztec Gold and paint code 77 Autumn Gold.

It's your car, build it the way you want. Since the W-25 O.A.I. hood was never factory offered in 1969, I'm not sure what that would be a "clone" of, however. Also, making it look like a 442 while retaining the low-perf drivetrain is not exactly a "clone' either. Reminds me of a high school friend who put the SS396 hood and emblems on his six cylinder Malibu convertible. Sort of an anti-sleeper. We constantly made sure he knew that in his case, "SS" stood for "straight six".
Old March 11th, 2009, 12:04 PM

Well, unless you want to incur major time and expense, I'd kind of think twice about changing your interior if it's in good shape. That is, unless you really hate the Ivy Gold color. Personally, I really like it.

I think the car would look great with a black exterior and green/gold interior. Pretty rare looking and definitely more interesting than a black interior (I actually have a black interior in mine, which is really nice, but I'm not sure I would have changed it to black).

While the vinyl dye/paint works well, if this is going to be a driver, it will eventually end up flaking.

However, if you must change the interior, and can afford it, just wait until Legendary Auto Interiors has one of their sales for 25% off and order new seat covers and door panels (do NOT get PUI interior stuff for a '68 or '69. The dimple pattern looks terrible). Also get some kick panels. You can then just vinyl dye/paint the dash.

Seat backs (if you have buckets) are another issue. The repops aren't very good, and dyeing them is where you run into issues with flaking over time.

I dunno, as I said, if the interior is in nice shape, just keep it green/gold and make the outside work around it. It's definitely doable (as many people have done so), but to me, it's just not worth the expense and hassle. JMHO.

Last edited by 68Tom; March 11th, 2009 at 12:06 PM.