General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Going to the Car Show....stopped!

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2014, 01:55 PM

Going to the Car Show....stopped!

The car has been running great and I've driven it to several events in the last few months, mainly to keep the battery healthy and the seals wet since I no longer have the car on a daily basis. Pulled the trickle charger off the battery, checked everything and pulled out of the garage and started down the road. Went about 1 mile and whe turning a corner the engine died. Radio still on and it would crank but acted like no spark or no fuel. Tried cranking it a few more times but no luck.
Friend towed me back to the shop and dropped me in front of the building. I jumped in and tried it once more and of course it cranked right up just like normal.
The only thing I've done recently is worked on the horn. Connected the horns up front and replaced the spring and rod in the steering wheel. The car has an "iffy" electrical system so I'm wondering if that had something to do with it. Otherwise new fuel, new tank and carb works fine.
Disconnected the horns just to make sure that didn't contribute and it seems to be running fine now. Still makes me mad I missed the show but didn't trust driving 40 miles with no sure fix yet.
Any ideas what could cause. 70 442 with a 455 to act this way?
Old August 2nd, 2014, 02:13 PM
Administrator

I hate intermittent failures, you can only diagnose them intermittently. Tough call but check your connections at the dist and coil.
Old August 5th, 2014, 03:02 AM

The distributor points wire to the coil has a kind of rubber coat for flexibility. If the wire breaks inside the rubber coat you are unable to see the problem and it causes an intermittent condition. Try changing the dist. wire. This problem does not show up this way with plastic coated wire.
Old August 5th, 2014, 07:18 AM

Points or HEI? Seen a failing HEI module cause intermittent problems.
Old August 5th, 2014, 08:41 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
The distributor points wire to the coil has a kind of rubber coat for flexibility. If the wire breaks inside the rubber coat you are unable to see the problem and it causes an intermittent condition. Try changing the dist. wire. This problem does not show up this way with plastic coated wire.
X2!

Points or HEI? Seen a failing HEI module cause intermittent problems.

X2!

Disconnecting the horns!... the car will never run like that! Not being a wise azz but what would the horns have to do with it. You probably got one of those Oldsmobiles with the off-set engine...kidding... lol
Sounds ignition related as hookem horns (pun intended), oldcutlass, Yellowstatue stated. Get back to us once you verify which distributor your running.
Whens the last time you changed the fuel filter at the carb?
Old August 9th, 2014, 01:49 PM

Pretty funny... Won't see the car for another two weeks, Labor Day vacation. Horn reference was because it was the only thing that had been touched, shouldn't have anything to do with it but a butchered harness...
Old August 11th, 2014, 09:36 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Only thing worse than a butchered harness is rot. Look into new wiring harnesses as sometimes that's the cleaner option. Also safer knowing it isn't gonna burn to the ground thanks to some back yard hack.
Old August 30th, 2014, 03:56 PM

Finally got to the car to troubleshoot.

Finally made it back to the car.

Accel HEI 14003

Wires were loose, both the white (terminal C) and the red (terminal B). Pulled the cap and reconnected both wires. Reinstalled cap.

Before I started i tried to start the car. Cranked strong but no fire at all. After reconnecting wires still cranks strong but no fire.

Guess I'll check the ignition swith. Connections next. If that connection is good I'll pull the protective shell off the wires and see if there is any problems along that string. Any other ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (24.2 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Oldracerjones; August 30th, 2014 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Add pic
Old September 14th, 2014, 11:00 PM
KDV

I took Lucille to a car show today and she ran great on the way. After sitting for about 2 hours she wouldn't start. No fire

After borrowing tools and bumming a ride to the nearest auto parts store for a new 4 pin ignition module - WAAAH-bah-bah-bah-bah-bum!!

Not only did I learn a great lesson in humility - I was in the last row pulling my HEI dist apart while all the camaros and chevelles were riding by on the way out - I also learned I need a small socket set in the car and a spare ignition module in the glove box.

The good news is that the hot rod crowd is a GREAT bunch! Very helpful and friendly toward any other enthusiast regardless of make and model.
Old September 15th, 2014, 05:20 AM
Administrator

I and many others have helped a great many people at car shows with misfortunate break downs at or on the way to or from car shows. We are a friendly bunch.