General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

gm parts department

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2009, 03:24 PM

gm parts department

has any body had luck getting older parts from them ,I know with ford , they have many parts past 1980(that is where the dealership books' stop)but your business is not wanted! You have to know the correct part # and where to go. there is a distribution center where i live and i don't go to the dealerships any more I am assuming there is such a place or places for gm parts just not aware of it/them , thanks Jim
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:27 PM

Don't bother with the GM dealership. I fought a GM dealership once when I bought a high and low pressure hose for my AC compressor on a 90 Buick Estate Wagon. They wanted way too much for it and when I got it the hoses were about 4 inches too long. I ended up returning it and bought the part from Car Quest instead on special order.

Check out Kanter, Fusicks, and Year One for classic Oldsmobile parts.
Old January 28th, 2009, 07:48 PM

I agree the parts are pricey at the dealers, however I have had alot of luck finding strange little things like the odd clip or what have you that you can't seem to find anywhere else. The dealer I go to has been in the same building for along time, since the late 30's or early 40's so that probably helps finding some old stuff stuck in the back, and I also know a few of the guys that work there pretty good so that probably helps when I ask them to look up a 40 year old part.
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Registered

I just go To GM Parts Direct and they have most of what the dealers have, but also nothing pre 1980 listed but I have found earlier parts with numbers.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

Ever try Vintage Parts?

http://www.vpartsinc.com/index.php

They have all kinds of old or discontinued GM parts, I just go there to explore sometimes. GM and other large companies sells them their old inventory. You have to register and log-in to see prices, no pics or illustrations. Good to know the part numbers and the correct terminology to find parts at both places as usual.
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:48 PM

thanks for the input and those sites listed, that is what I was trying to get at!