General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

gm to go all electric in 2035

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2021, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
...stupid people run the government.
Serving one's own interests shouldn't be viewed as "stupid". But rather as diabolically selfish, instead
Old January 30th, 2021, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by chuck_royle
Also need to stop blaming "the engineers". Vehicles are not built by engineers, they're built by accountants, lawyers and politicians.
Sorry, but they are part of the problem also. Every vehicle since the 1st one with a heater has had to service a heater core, yet they still bury it , making removal a r.p.i.t.a. Or how about just changing a light bulb. You should not need to remove a bunch of crap to change out a turn signal bulb, or headlight bulb. So come on, I could keep going but what is the point. Engineers are known to never think of servicing the parts they "engineer"
Old January 30th, 2021, 05:43 PM

Again, you shouldn't be blaming engineers for corporate policy.
Old January 30th, 2021, 06:11 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

So, Chuck_Royle after reading your rambling manifesto exposing internal issues within GM and its dealer network, the purpose of your attached photos was to insinuate the Cary Grant he-men (upper-case GM logo) built the real cars, while the fem men (lower-case GM logo) only produce logos?-- Or is there something more sinister in the underlying meaning of the photos that we miss? To be honest, I don't understand why you posted the photos at all. Enlighten us, please.
Old January 30th, 2021, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
^^^THIS! I'm all for more nuclear power plants, but the grid can't handle it right now. The infrastructure upgrade isn't happening yet.

Might as well go thru this direction. At least you can give free fertilizer.
Old January 30th, 2021, 09:19 PM

Again, you shouldn't be blaming engineers for corporate policy.
I am sure the bean counters said, you know what, engineer it so to replace the turn signal bulb you have to remove 22 pieces of hardware and a few pieces of body under cladding .
Ir engineer the heater core so you have to take the dash out to change it, recharge the a/c and chase rattles for the customer after the fix/service.
Or the 88 up 4x4 trucks with ifs that ate ball joints,
or the lets make the radio system a odd 3 piece set up that can't be replaced because of the non standard lay out.
oh yes bean counters say, ya know what, lets spend r &d time and tooling to make a non standard one off, audio system. instead of the set up we use in most of the rest of our vehicles. 88+ trucks anyone.?
Old January 30th, 2021, 10:32 PM

Forget GM. Runned by no-nothing accountant! Screw up more cars and trucks. Penny wise and dollar foolish!

Check out Dirty Tesla - YouTubeHas old model 3, solar panels, battery storage. Sell power back to the elect company. He is in Michigan. Not the warmest, sunniest place on earth . Plus now it is almost totally self driving. Huge plus for me.
After driving almost 50 years all over the country. I am done with driving long trips. Let the car do the driving. I can sleep or really enjoy the scenery. My Cybertruck coming in 2022. Another reason I am moving back to Port Isabel, TX. Texas get Cybertruck first.

BS about the power grid. Wind turbines where going up like crazy all over south Texas. My bubby tell me, a lot more since I move two years ago. Solar panels getting much more efficient. Engadget reports that scientists have discovered a way to produce solar cells that can capture 100% of the energy contained in the sunlight that reached them: Researchers over at the National Renewable Energy Lab made the first solar cell with an external quantum efficiency 100 percent. Just a matter of time. 5 - 10 years to be affordable. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renewable_energy

Tesla is starting recycling used battery parks. Too valuable to waste.

Someone talk about if the power grid go down from hurricane. How do you get gasoline out of a tank in the ground with no power? Tesla take a split second to start moving. Hours do not matter, mileage does. So driving away from hurricane outage area is not a problem..

NTSB study says U.S. firefighters need different techniques for fires in battery-carrying EVs than standard gas vehicles, but there's no reason for alarm. Also NHTSA concluded that the likelihood of passenger injuries in crashes involving electric vehicles is actually slightly lower, meaning that they are safer to passengers, than those involving vehicles with gasoline and diesel engines.

Tesla hires the best minds,super-talented people work as a team. Constant innovations. A former GM engineer talks about making changes at GM. Took 9 to 14 months. At Tesla in a few days or weeks.
Old January 30th, 2021, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Grayghost
I am sure the bean counters said, you know what, engineer it so to replace the turn signal bulb you have to remove 22 pieces of hardware and a few pieces of body under cladding .
Ir engineer the heater core so you have to take the dash out to change it, recharge the a/c and chase rattles for the customer after the fix/service.
or the lets make the radio system a odd 3 piece set up that can't be replaced because of the non standard lay out.
oh yes bean counters say, ya know what, lets spend r &d time and tooling to make a non standard one off, audio system. instead of the set up we use in most of the rest of our vehicles. 88+ trucks anyone.?
You're mistaking apathy for malevolence. The cars are not designed to be hard to work on; they're just simply not designed to be worked on by you, and your small roller toolbox, in your one car garage. Very few people work on their cars anymore; most take them to a dealer or a mechanic, so the idea of making them user-serviceable is the last priority and it's not some personal crusade against the last of the gearheads; it's just business. They don't look at something and say, how hard can we bone the do it yourselfer on this, they look at it and say "let's put the windshield washer jug and pump all the way down in front of the wheel in the well behind the bumper so the customer will have to use a dipstick but it's the only way since it's literally the last spot available."
Old January 31st, 2021, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by tnswt
...the purpose of your attached photos was to insinuate the Cary Grant he-men (upper-case GM logo) built the real cars, while the fem men (lower-case GM logo) only produce logos?-- Or is there something more sinister in the underlying meaning of the photos that we miss? To be honest, I don't understand why you posted the photos at all. Enlighten us, please.
First of all, anyone who knows Archibald Alexander Leach (alias "Cary Grant")'s detailed history also knows that "he" was anything but an Alpha male. He only poses as one, in that GM logo photo

The second photo subject seems to me to also be somewhat inaccurate. If anything, modern automotive engineers more likely would resemble these following types:

Old January 31st, 2021, 03:04 AM

Once again, don’t blame the engineers. Cars aren’t designed to be easy to work on, they are designed to ease assembly. It’s far faster (and less chance of stripped or under/overtorqued fasteners) if parts snap together. Heater and A/C parts are buried in the dash because it’s faster/cheaper for the people on the assembly line to install larger components instead of individual pieces.

All of that was figured out by bean counters and time study “engineers”. Time study engineers use stopwatches and calculators in the nonstop pursuit of zero wasted time. If someone on the assembly line figured out a way to do the job faster, the time study people will find an extra task for you to do with the wasted time.
Old January 31st, 2021, 03:13 AM

You're mistaking apathy for malevolence. The cars are not designed to be hard to work on; they're just simply not designed to be worked on by you, and your small roller toolbox, in your one car garage. Very few people work on their cars anymore; most take them to a dealer or a mechanic, so the idea of making them user-serviceable is the last priority and it's not some personal crusade against the last of the gearheads; it's just business. They don't look at something and say, how hard can we bone the do it yourselfer on this, they look at it and say "let's put the windshield washer jug and pump all the way down in front of the wheel in the well behind the bumper so the customer will have to use a dipstick but it's the only way since it's literally the last spot available."
Heater cores have been a headache for decades, even when vehicles were bare bones basic.
I highly doubt the accountants/been counters said, no, no, don't use the already tooled and engineered gm radios, that cost us nothing to use, go design and engineer an odd ball 3 piece unit/system that we will only use in this generation trucks. costing us money on every unit(truck) sold over using what we already have sitting on the parts bins. said no been counter EVER
Yes, I know that they build in a factor of pain in the *** so you will bring it to the dealer. Known that for decades. .
Engineers are guilty of designing Just bad ideas. starter in valley,(notherstar) gear driven ign. system put behind the water pump (90's lt1/4) Fords mod motor spark plug design. and on and on it goes.
Because no bean counter, accountant said ya now what we need, we need to spend tons of money on a new spark plug design, sure the old one is fine, but lets spend money just because. No this was an engineers better idea. knowing full well that todays spark plugs don't get changed out every 15-20 thousand miles, steel rust and they break when you looked at them wrong. I am sure ford truck owners loved hearing from the dealers service writer, the tune up will cost X amount if the plugs don't break, then it will be 115.00 extra for every plug that breaks. Arn't you happy you bought a ford.

Last edited by Grayghost; January 31st, 2021 at 04:12 AM.
Old January 31st, 2021, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by HighwayStar 442
Forget GM. Runned by no-nothing accountant! Screw up more cars and trucks. Penny wise and dollar foolish!

Check out Dirty Tesla - YouTubeHas old model 3, solar panels, battery storage. Sell power back to the elect company. He is in Michigan. Not the warmest, sunniest place on earth . Plus now it is almost totally self driving. Huge plus for me.
After driving almost 50 years all over the country. I am done with driving long trips. Let the car do the driving. I can sleep or really enjoy the scenery. My Cybertruck coming in 2022. Another reason I am moving back to Port Isabel, TX. Texas get Cybertruck first.

BS about the power grid. Wind turbines where going up like crazy all over south Texas. My bubby tell me, a lot more since I move two years ago. Solar panels getting much more efficient. Engadget reports that scientists have discovered a way to produce solar cells that can capture 100% of the energy contained in the sunlight that reached them: Researchers over at the National Renewable Energy Lab made the first solar cell with an external quantum efficiency 100 percent. Just a matter of time. 5 - 10 years to be affordable. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renewable_energy

Tesla is starting recycling used battery parks. Too valuable to waste.

Someone talk about if the power grid go down from hurricane. How do you get gasoline out of a tank in the ground with no power? Tesla take a split second to start moving. Hours do not matter, mileage does. So driving away from hurricane outage area is not a problem..

NTSB study says U.S. firefighters need different techniques for fires in battery-carrying EVs than standard gas vehicles, but there's no reason for alarm. Also NHTSA concluded that the likelihood of passenger injuries in crashes involving electric vehicles is actually slightly lower, meaning that they are safer to passengers, than those involving vehicles with gasoline and diesel engines.

Tesla hires the best minds,super-talented people work as a team. Constant innovations. A former GM engineer talks about making changes at GM. Took 9 to 14 months. At Tesla in a few days or weeks.
Welp, before everyone had electric power, they pumped gas with a well pump manually.
Do, tell us, how you are charging that Tesla, when the power is out for 2-3 weeks or more after a hurricane?
or a major flood, You can truck in fuel, Charging an electric off a diesel or gas generator kinda proves the point. don'tcha think
Diesel has it's pro's and cons, gasoline has it's pro's and cons. Electric has it's pro's and cons.
Maybe ask the tesla owners that can't get their vehicle fixed after a small fender bender. That now have a 50-80 thousand dollar paper weight.
NHTSA state a lot of things, It is whom greased their palms. Time will tell about if they are safer once the fleet of them on the road is big enough. And the limited number of them on the road is NOT skewing the safety % numbers.
Tesla hires the best brains, that might be because of the insanely over valued stock price, so they have investors play money to spend.
G.m. waits, why because the media will put them on blast for "trying " something.if it has any growing pains . They don't say boo when tesla does and it is a failure.
Can you imagine the media news stories if g.m. vehicles could not be fixed after a small fender bender? From lack of parts and g.m. not allowing anyone but them to repair it, and no service/repair outlets to take it to. Tesla gets a pass, crickets in the news media about any of this, but g.m./ford/mopar/toyo/nissan,etc holding back data, forcing you back to the dealer , story/rant after story ,rnt about how greedy, evil they are, again, crickets from the media about the way tesla operates, odd don'tcha think
They would have g.m./ford/mopars heads, Tesla. they are silent. Tesla's burn to the ground. not a peep. Bolt might have battery pack issues. 50 news stories about it a day.
As for the power grid. Sorry. it never be ready in 14 years.
1) No one is willing to pay for it with an electric bill that doubles or triples to fund it's updating/upgrading
2)35% of wind turbines are broken producing zero power and cost to much to fix, so they sit producing nothing.
3)high winds distroy them from over running speed
4)100% transfer of any energy is a LIE laws of physics won't allow it. So stating solar panels will be anywhere near this is a LIE.
5)battery raw materials. There isn't enough of it on this rock to power 35% of the worlds vehicle fleet. Along with tools, cell phones and everything else.
6)Being burnt in a fire sucks, Being burnt in a vehicle that you are trapped in with a fire that is going off like a thousand road flares, is a problem many are turning a blind eye too.
7) The same folks pushing electric power vehicles to save the worlds do the following
A) Block all pipelines be it oil, n/g, or water , yes water, tuning ocean salt water into fresh water for on land use.
B) N/G compressor stations that are needed to get the n/g to the electric power plant to make your zero emissions(cough cough) vehicle power.
C)Block wind farms , Cape wind anyone, or have you forgot the decade+ long fight and cost of fighting over that, And those fighting to stop it were the rich "elite"greenies That told everyone the evils of I.C.E.
D) Hydro power, The harm to the ocean life,
E)Nuke power, is D.O.A. before you finish saying it. Even iff we could send the spent fuel out to space in a spacex rocket. or find away to recycle it, productively .
F)Solar NIMBY They don't want the reflection blocking their view . So people that want to put up a solar farm have to fight these elite greenies with $$ lawyers. So many Don't. as the cost is too high. I know personally about this as I have been stopped on 2 of my land lots. The cost to fight them makes any energy savings I might have seen, pushed out past the life span of the equipment by 15 years. So even if I won, it never pay for it self. as the equipment life span is not long enough.
G) Solar of roofs. People with a ranch style home that have installed them, have had to have them removed because of the reflection "bothering" a home owner with a 2,3 story home. They had the "option" to move them but then they get 40% of the sun light rendering them pointless.
H) The environment harm mining the raw materials to produce the batteries . There are many studies on this and the battery operations of toyota in canada. , It won't get better as the milling ramps up.
I) How to handle the environmental waste of the battery packs. And how to limit the environmental impact when the vehicle is in a wreck and it is leaking it's guts out.

Sorry the same "elite" greenies that tell others how to live will fight tooth and nail to stop any and all electric grid updates, upgrades, Using the court system and complaints to city/town boards /leaders. Making the cost 100x more to do so, and stalling it.
Recent history of the last 40 years proves this. There is no way in hell you will get the electric grid and power production to the level needed in under 14 years. Only way that happens is it tomorrow, all the cude wells went dry. Then and only then will you have a slightly better chance of no resistance From the rich "elite" greenies that normally will fight you tooth and nail to keep it out of their back yard.
NIMBY is their motto, you are not going to break it any time soon.

On top of all that, we have seen what problems come with handing much of our lifelihoods, on another countries economy, production. Most of the battery raw materials are so far found in China. Do you really want to see where that road will lead too?
You think 70's opec was a pain in the butt, That be a cake walk.

Want cleaner environment ? Stop buying imported crap. The fleet of cargo ships, just the ones that come to a USA port. not the whole cargo ship fleet of the world, JUST the ones that stop at our ports, IN one month pollute more than the worlds over land fleet of vehicles do in a year.
The cargo ships stopping at us ports pollute 12 times more than the whole worlds over land vehicle fleet. Let that sink in. The world economy experiment is the biggest polluter of them all. Funny, that is hands off. Think about that.
Electric vehicles are not the answer if the goal is a better environment and cleaner air,water,etc.
But it was never about any of that, Logic and reason got tossed aside, for things that make you "feel" lke you are making a difference. you are not.

Last edited by Grayghost; January 31st, 2021 at 04:59 AM.
Old January 31st, 2021, 04:26 AM
Bfg

You got to agree, he-she has nice legs. Maybe could need a shave though
Old January 31st, 2021, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The big question is when and how are they going to upgrade the power grid to charge all these electric vehicles?
For sure! I know of a business that is building a new platform to cater to the electrification. They are spending billions on it to be ready in 5 to 6 more years. I brought up this very point and they said that is not their concern. They later took me to the side and said I should not bring points like that up in the group. I told him that was why I was there and if they don't want my thought to not invite me back. That was almost two years ago and still not been invited back.... And here we are with more and more coal plants being shut down and nothing being built to replace them.
Old January 31st, 2021, 04:58 AM

I bought a new 2011 Ford F-150 XLT ten years ago and traded it in back in early 2015 for a 2014 F-150 XLT, a leftover, the last year of the metal bodies. This time I did it right, I bought the extended warrantee (6 year/60,000 miles), I bought the plastic inner fender wells, plastic bed-liner, etc. The dealer talked me into getting the 3.5 EcoBoost motor instead of the V-8 I had in the 2011. Here it is 6 years later, the truck (of which the MSRP was $42,996) is now just paid off and I have just over 60,000 miles on it. Guess I played that one right. I was offered from Ford, a continued warrantee featuring virtually the same items covered which the extended warrantee had.

So I was at a crossroad. Either take that warrantee deal, rough it and roll the dice with no warrantee, or buy a new truck. I did the math, and I found it would cost about $60,000 to get the same options the 2014 has. NO DEAL.

I took the continued warrantee with the $500 deductible at $51 a month. I chose the high deductible as I really only want the warrantee to kick in if something major croaks on the truck.

As an afterthought, I know I took a chance on that EcoBoost, as back in 2014 there was some controversy with its reliability going on. That has so far been a great motor.

Electric trucks? No thanks.
Old January 31st, 2021, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
For sure! I know of a business that is building a new platform to cater to the electrification. They are spending billions on it to be ready in 5 to 6 more years. I brought up this very point and they said that is not their concern. They later took me to the side and said I should not bring points like that up in the group. I told him that was why I was there and if they don't want my thought to not invite me back. That was almost two years ago and still not been invited back.... And here we are with more and more coal plants being shut down and nothing being built to replace them.
Yup, I find it odd, the push for needing more electric power, but shutting down power plants and not giving green lights for new ones.
If one did not know better, It looks like they are only planning on the Elite,rich being vehicle owners. And everyone else being without a means to get around other than public transport of a city. or your feet, bike.
Logic and reason would find the willingness to add to the power plants to produce more electric power. So you have to wonder. If they are just telling folks what they want to hear. or if it is more about control, if you control peoples movement. you control them.
Old January 31st, 2021, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by tnswt
So, Chuck_Royle after reading your rambling manifesto exposing internal issues within GM and its dealer network, the purpose of your attached photos was to insinuate the Cary Grant he-men (upper-case GM logo) built the real cars, while the fem men (lower-case GM logo) only produce logos?-- Or is there something more sinister in the underlying meaning of the photos that we miss? To be honest, I don't understand why you posted the photos at all. Enlighten us, please.
Posted them for fun sort of, and the feeling of being deflated. Just pics circulating around my world, I wouldn't know how to make that pic.
What I see is the guy on the left, dressed professionally, walking with purpose with his head up. The guy on the right is 1/2 of the people I work with and growing. Most have absolutely no interested in cars/trucks, just want to play on their phones. With no interest, they couldn't fix a sandwich- while you're in the waiting area.
Logo again, a joke, that's our priorities.
Logo, yeah I like the capitals, I think there's some heritage and symbolism there. I like companies that build "real cars" otherwise I wouldn't be on this forum. Our logo doesn't have to be lower case/flop-dicked. Even Tesla has a big a$$ "T" as a logo.
Yes it's a rambling manifesto, but it's real.
I thought about backtracking on what I originally said, but nope. I'll leave it there for you to pour your eloquent verbiage and show me how well rounded and educated you are. I don't really care. My business is GM cars and trucks, fixing for the public. This is just what I see happening every day.
I really hope the latest push is lip service. Hopefully we stick to our core customer. Otherwise we're going down fast.
Old January 31st, 2021, 07:04 AM

Sorry, but they are part of the problem also. Every vehicle since the 1st one with a heater has had to service a heater core, yet they still bury it , making removal a r.p.i.t.a. Or how about just changing a light bulb. You should not need to remove a bunch of crap to change out a turn signal bulb, or headlight bulb. So come on, I could keep going but what is the point. Engineers are known to never think of servicing the parts they "engineer"
I think they may put a heater core there because they're aren't many other choices. I think if they have to replace a heater core 1/100000 units while under warranty, I don't blame them for not really caring. I know that on a 10-15' chevy cruze, the heater core is really easy to change-like 10min. As a result, did some engineer get tied up in the basement and stoned to death by Mary Barra herself? I don't know. What I do know is that we have a new logo roll out while my programming page is bricked, a customer in the waiting area, the advisor, my boss and my bosses boss freaking out because of social distancing, and I can't get paid (18min) and on to the next job until this is completed.
I believe even if the engineer thinks of servicing, it doesn't matter if someone more important doesn't want to pay. If 2 engineers are given the same challenge, #1 solution is cheap but more difficult to service, #2 solution is expensive but easy to service (rarely required), who is going to have a future with the company?
Just my perspective.
Old January 31st, 2021, 07:24 AM
Bfg

Yes, only the elite’s and rich will own cars, just like when the automobiles were first introduced.
Old January 31st, 2021, 08:06 AM

The rich will simply let us have our troublesome cars, while they fly in their Cadillac drones.
Look to greedy spouses taking lucrative life insurance policies on the one flying and then hack the vehicle's software, so that it stalls half way from its destination :

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKBN29H2NC

...The single-passenger Cadillac - technically, a vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drone - will be able to travel from urban rooftop to urban rooftop at speeds up to 55 miles per hour...

Last edited by Killian_Mörder; January 31st, 2021 at 08:09 AM.
Old January 31st, 2021, 09:45 AM

Welp, before everyone had electric power, they pumped gas with a well pump manually.
Do, tell us, how you are charging that Tesla, when the power is out for 2-3 weeks or more after a hurricane?
or a major flood, You can truck in fuel, Charging an electric off a diesel or gas generator kinda proves the point. don'tcha think
Diesel has it's pro's and cons, gasoline has it's pro's and cons. Electric has it's pro's and cons.
Maybe ask the tesla owners that can't get their vehicle fixed after a small fender bender. That now have a 50-80 thousand dollar paper weight.
NHTSA state a lot of things, It is whom greased their palms. Time will tell about if they are safer once the fleet of them on the road is big enough. And the limited number of them on the road is NOT skewing the safety % numbers.
Tesla hires the best brains, that might be because of the insanely over valued stock price, so they have investors play money to spend.
G.m. waits, why because the media will put them on blast for "trying " something.if it has any growing pains . They don't say boo when tesla does and it is a failure.
Can you imagine the media news stories if g.m. vehicles could not be fixed after a small fender bender? From lack of parts and g.m. not allowing anyone but them to repair it, and no service/repair outlets to take it to. Tesla gets a pass, crickets in the news media about any of this, but g.m./ford/mopar/toyo/nissan,etc holding back data, forcing you back to the dealer , story/rant after story ,rnt about how greedy, evil they are, again, crickets from the media about the way tesla operates, odd don'tcha think
They would have g.m./ford/mopars heads, Tesla. they are silent. Tesla's burn to the ground. not a peep. Bolt might have battery pack issues. 50 news stories about it a day.
As for the power grid. Sorry. it never be ready in 14 years.
1) No one is willing to pay for it with an electric bill that doubles or triples to fund it's updating/upgrading
2)35% of wind turbines are broken producing zero power and cost to much to fix, so they sit producing nothing.
3)high winds distroy them from over running speed
4)100% transfer of any energy is a LIE laws of physics won't allow it. So stating solar panels will be anywhere near this is a LIE.
5)battery raw materials. There isn't enough of it on this rock to power 35% of the worlds vehicle fleet. Along with tools, cell phones and everything else.
6)Being burnt in a fire sucks, Being burnt in a vehicle that you are trapped in with a fire that is going off like a thousand road flares, is a problem many are turning a blind eye too.
7) The same folks pushing electric power vehicles to save the worlds do the following
A) Block all pipelines be it oil, n/g, or water , yes water, tuning ocean salt water into fresh water for on land use.
B) N/G compressor stations that are needed to get the n/g to the electric power plant to make your zero emissions(cough cough) vehicle power.
C)Block wind farms , Cape wind anyone, or have you forgot the decade+ long fight and cost of fighting over that, And those fighting to stop it were the rich "elite"greenies That told everyone the evils of I.C.E.
D) Hydro power, The harm to the ocean life,
E)Nuke power, is D.O.A. before you finish saying it. Even iff we could send the spent fuel out to space in a spacex rocket. or find away to recycle it, productively .
F)Solar NIMBY They don't want the reflection blocking their view . So people that want to put up a solar farm have to fight these elite greenies with $$ lawyers. So many Don't. as the cost is too high. I know personally about this as I have been stopped on 2 of my land lots. The cost to fight them makes any energy savings I might have seen, pushed out past the life span of the equipment by 15 years. So even if I won, it never pay for it self. as the equipment life span is not long enough.
G) Solar of roofs. People with a ranch style home that have installed them, have had to have them removed because of the reflection "bothering" a home owner with a 2,3 story home. They had the "option" to move them but then they get 40% of the sun light rendering them pointless.
H) The environment harm mining the raw materials to produce the batteries . There are many studies on this and the battery operations of toyota in canada. , It won't get better as the milling ramps up.
I) How to handle the environmental waste of the battery packs. And how to limit the environmental impact when the vehicle is in a wreck and it is leaking it's guts out.

Sorry the same "elite" greenies that tell others how to live will fight tooth and nail to stop any and all electric grid updates, upgrades, Using the court system and complaints to city/town boards /leaders. Making the cost 100x more to do so, and stalling it.
Recent history of the last 40 years proves this. There is no way in hell you will get the electric grid and power production to the level needed in under 14 years. Only way that happens is it tomorrow, all the cude wells went dry. Then and only then will you have a slightly better chance of no resistance From the rich "elite" greenies that normally will fight you tooth and nail to keep it out of their back yard.
NIMBY is their motto, you are not going to break it any time soon.

On top of all that, we have seen what problems come with handing much of our lifelihoods, on another countries economy, production. Most of the battery raw materials are so far found in China. Do you really want to see where that road will lead too?
You think 70's opec was a pain in the butt, That be a cake walk.

Want cleaner environment ? Stop buying imported crap. The fleet of cargo ships, just the ones that come to a USA port. not the whole cargo ship fleet of the world, JUST the ones that stop at our ports, IN one month pollute more than the worlds over land fleet of vehicles do in a year.
The cargo ships stopping at us ports pollute 12 times more than the whole worlds over land vehicle fleet. Let that sink in. The world economy experiment is the biggest polluter of them all. Funny, that is hands off. Think about that.
Electric vehicles are not the answer if the goal is a better environment and cleaner air,water,etc.
But it was never about any of that, Logic and reason got tossed aside, for things that make you "feel" lke you are making a difference. you are not.
Now that long winded!

Solar panels, battery storage. Not sure I would be hanging around an area for weeks with no water, food, sewer, power. After a hurricane. Even if your building is still livable. I like to shower at least one a day! Full charge can get you 400 -500 mile. Solar panel on Cyber truck will get you a little more. You be out of the hurricane storm damage area. Sitting to traffic does not uses elect. "You can truck in fuel, water, food. Live with porta johns- see how that works"

I would have insurance. Repairs are harder to get for Tesla. But as time goes on this will change. Full-time autonomy in any driving scenario is much safer.Tesla began selling its own insurance policies.

G.m. waits, why because the media will put them on blast for "trying " something.if it has any growing pains. That is just BS It is the Accountants. save a few cents her and there. As the engineers try to do the best with new tech. But no, how much is it going to cost. Killed the 350 diesel and early 4.1 V8. And much more.

Yes a few tesla burned to the ground, but a lot more gas cars do!

The rest is mostly BS. "35% of wind turbines are broken producing zero power and cost to much to fix, so they sit producing nothing" Been around wind turbine for years in south Texas. Hardly see any not running. 1 out of 50 maybe. Yes I live by them and I do not have cancer.

"elite" greenies cut out the political BS. Not here. You can PM me. I will tell you what I think of that!!!!

You can hide your head in the sand all of want. EV are coming! And soon. Mine will be in my driveway 2022. May put up small wind generator for home and some solar. God knows it always windy and a lot of sun in south Texas.

Old January 31st, 2021, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Killian_Mörder

The second photo subject seems to me to also be somewhat inaccurate. If anything, modern automotive engineers more likely would resemble these following types:

Maybe those are the designers. More likely they're the IT guys who haven't ever been laid and haven't seen a shower this year.

The real engineers are the production engineers who have to be the go between between demanding management, whiny line workers, ungrounded pilot people, greedy vendors, clueless designers, and out-of-touch safety people to get the conveyors and equipment to build the damn things. Real swinging dicks we are.
Old January 31st, 2021, 12:01 PM

Full charge can get you 400 -500 mile. Solar panel on Cyber truck will get you a little more. You be out of the hurricane storm damage area. Sitting to traffic does not uses elect.
Sitting in traffic with the AC, headlights, and windshield wipers on does use electricity, and greatly diminishes that "400-500 mile" range. That is also assuming the batteries are fully charged prior to hitting the road to evacuate, which will not always be the case since people have lives - you know, jobs they go to and from, kids to shuttle around, shopping for supplies, stuff like that.
Old January 31st, 2021, 12:04 PM

How timely. I was reading the local news just now and saw this comment at the end of an article about reducing fossil fuel usage.

This is the kind of insanity that is out there:

https://ktar.com/story/3952348/fight...ments#comments
Let’s get off this fossil fuel addiction NOW. Voters want action and leadership, and a radical swift departure from the old way of doing things. Our work will not be done until we teach people and especially youngsters that using fossil fuel is a criminal act against all life.
Old January 31st, 2021, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
How timely. I was reading the local news just now and saw this comment at the end of an article about reducing fossil fuel usage.

Let’s get off this fossil fuel addiction NOW. Voters want action and leadership, and a radical swift departure from the old way of doing things. Our work will not be done until we teach people and especially youngsters that using fossil fuel is a criminal act against all life.
Are nitrocellulose propulsion hobbies ok?
Old January 31st, 2021, 12:33 PM

Sitting in traffic with the AC, headlights, and windshield wipers on does use electricity, and greatly diminishes that "400-500 mile" range. That is also assuming the batteries are fully charged prior to hitting the road to evacuate, which will not always be the case since people have lives - you know, jobs they go to and from, kids to shuttle around, shopping for supplies, stuff like that.
At first Hurricane Harvey in 2017 was headed to port Isabel - Brownsville Texas. Before turning 90 miles out. To its first landfall in Rockport, TX. I knew days ahead of time it was coming. Put up all the prefab plywood shutter that came with the home. Sanded bag al the door the best I could. Loaded up two cars. And took out cash, and was ready to head inland. This day and age, you know it coming. Not like Hurricane Andrew, was a oh **** it here at night. My brother-in law tied the family to the bed. Hoping they did not get sucked out of the house. After the roof flew off. Screw the A/C. In traffic, do you need headlights or wipers. Rain X all my cars.If you can get gas, I will get a charge. Yes I lived right on the water.

Last edited by HighwayStar 442; January 31st, 2021 at 12:45 PM.
Old January 31st, 2021, 01:06 PM

Yeah I remember where you said you lived. That area had like 3 hurricanes hit in a 20 year period.

My point is most folks are working right up until evacuation time so batteries won’t be fully charged. And no one is going to be sitting in stop-n-go traffic for 10 or more hours in the heat and humidity of an approaching hurricane with the AC off and windows rolled up. Get real. Windows up cuz it’s raining like mad so AC is needed not only for comfort due to heat / humidity but to keep the glass from fogging.

Last edited by Fun71; January 31st, 2021 at 01:14 PM.
Old January 31st, 2021, 02:33 PM

Yeah I remember where you said you lived. That area had like 3 hurricanes hit in a 20 year period.

My point is most folks are working right up until evacuation time so batteries won’t be fully charged. And no one is going to be sitting in stop-n-go traffic for 10 or more hours in the heat and humidity of an approaching hurricane with the AC off and windows rolled up. Get real. Windows up cuz it’s raining like mad so AC is needed not only for comfort due to heat / humidity but to keep the glass from fogging.
I see your point. In 5-10 years EV range will be much greater. Especially for Tesla, who is at least 10 years ahead of everyone else. As you may remember, I am not giving up my Oldsmobile! But may sell my 85 Seville. Cybertruck to replace the Seville for long trips. Oil companies will always knock EV anyway they can.
Old January 31st, 2021, 05:42 PM
Oldsdruid

That piece was not news. Not even op-ed. It's propaganda, which any reputable news organization should never engage in.

And that comment is nothing short of blatant indoctrination.
Old January 31st, 2021, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
That piece was not news. Not even op-ed. It's propaganda, which any reputable news organization should never engage in.
This say sit all:

BY ASSOCIATED PRESS| JANUARY 31, 2021 AT 6:30 AM

A web inquiry returned this about the AP:

Overall, we rate the Associated Press borderline Left-Center Biased due to left-leaning editorializing, but Least Biased on a whole due to balanced story selection.

Last edited by Fun71; January 31st, 2021 at 06:08 PM.
Old January 31st, 2021, 07:49 PM

Now that long winded!

Solar panels, battery storage. Not sure I would be hanging around an area for weeks with no water, food, sewer, power. After a hurricane. Even if your building is still livable. I like to shower at least one a day! Full charge can get you 400 -500 mile. Solar panel on Cyber truck will get you a little more. You be out of the hurricane storm damage area. Sitting to traffic does not uses elect. "You can truck in fuel, water, food. Live with porta johns- see how that works"

I would have insurance. Repairs are harder to get for Tesla. But as time goes on this will change. Full-time autonomy in any driving scenario is much safer.Tesla began selling its own insurance policies.

G.m. waits, why because the media will put them on blast for "trying " something.if it has any growing pains. That is just BS It is the Accountants. save a few cents her and there. As the engineers try to do the best with new tech. But no, how much is it going to cost. Killed the 350 diesel and early 4.1 V8. And much more.

Yes a few tesla burned to the ground, but a lot more gas cars do!

The rest is mostly BS. "35% of wind turbines are broken producing zero power and cost to much to fix, so they sit producing nothing" Been around wind turbine for years in south Texas. Hardly see any not running. 1 out of 50 maybe. Yes I live by them and I do not have cancer.

"elite" greenies cut out the political BS. Not here. You can PM me. I will tell you what I think of that!!!!

You can hide your head in the sand all of want. EV are coming! And soon. Mine will be in my driveway 2022. May put up small wind generator for home and some solar. God knows it always windy and a lot of sun in south Texas.
Buddy, my family has ev's. 2 sit idle because they can't be fixed, as Tesla won't allow anyone to fix them. and don't say when the parts needed will be avail. and if they will fix them. They are very expensive paper weights. Yup they are Truly zero emissions, as My family members that own them CAN'T USED THEM!!!.
Some already have FIRST hand dealings with this. Good luck.
I don't have my head in the sand. Everything I posted is fact. no matter if you don't want to hear it.

Last edited by Grayghost; January 31st, 2021 at 07:51 PM.
Old February 1st, 2021, 07:12 AM

There is no free ride, but there are too many who only required a light rinse.
Old February 1st, 2021, 10:40 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think by that time GM will follow the path of Sears in that they were once a great company that has just faded away. They will probably sell the Corvette and maybe their truck line off and liquidate the rest.
Old February 1st, 2021, 10:47 AM

Buddy, my family has ev's. 2 sit idle because they can't be fixed, as Tesla won't allow anyone to fix them. and don't say when the parts needed will be avail. and if they will fix them. They are very expensive paper weights. Yup they are Truly zero emissions, as My family members that own them CAN'T USED THEM!!!.
Some already have FIRST hand dealings with this. Good luck.
I don't have my head in the sand. Everything I posted is fact. no matter if you don't want to hear it.
Looking up what you say about Tesla repair. So far Tesla does have internal and outside repair shops. https://www.tesla.com/support/body-shop-support.. True some are waiting way too long to get their cars repaired. I need some more time to contact Elon Musk on social media. To ask about this problem. He is know to reply.

Contrary to what some on here think. I do work from my home office. And in the middle of designing a large project that eating up my time, right now.. GrayGhost you can PM with your details, if you like. I always fight city hall. And the to quote my Dad.

The wheel that squeaks the loudest, Is the one that gets the grease. And mine -The fire sprinkler design business has been very, very good to me!

Old February 1st, 2021, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I think by that time GM will follow the path of Sears in that they were once a great company that has just faded away. They will probably sell the Corvette and maybe their truck line off and liquidate the rest.
I doubt they are honestly moving to all ev. It is just to fit the p/c climate the soy boys need to hear.
Old February 1st, 2021, 11:24 AM
Bfg

As the saying once said as GM goes, so does the Nation, Down the Tubes!
Old February 1st, 2021, 12:48 PM

In 1953, Charles Wilson, GM’s president, did become President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s secretary of defense. Asked in his Senate confirmation hearings whether he would have a problem making governmental decisions that might not be in the interest of GM, he famously replied that he found it hard to imagine a conflict of interest "because for years I thought what was good for the country was good for General Motors and vice versa." (Soon, that would be simplified to: "What’s good for General Motors is good for the country.")
Old February 1st, 2021, 02:39 PM

GM has been cutting its own legs, out from under themselves. Not too sure they can make the change to EV. More than likely they will just make lemons.

General Motors EV1 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera...20the%20outset.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Ki...lectric_Car%3F Big oil

Here the accountants screw up a good idea and help from Ralph Nader. Kill GM chance to complete with small cars coming from Ford, Japan and Germany back in the 1960's. Huge loss for the USA car makers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvair As a production option, engineers had advocated but management rejected the inclusion of a front anti-roll bar on the original 1960 Corvair, which would have ameliorated the car's handling – shifting weight transfer to the front outboard tire, considerably reducing rear slip angles—thereby avoiding potential oversteer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsafe_at_Any_Speed

I seem one have a engine fire as a little kid. Burned up very quickly.

Old February 1st, 2021, 03:10 PM

Yes, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. That is a famous American proverb.

I work for a Japanese company. Here's a translated Japanese equivalent. "The nail that sticks up..... gets hammered."

Old February 1st, 2021, 03:22 PM

Yes, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. That is a famous American proverb.

I work for a Japanese company. Here's a translated Japanese equivalent. "The nail that sticks up..... gets hammered."
Do you not think, it mean to keep quiet??

Quick Reply: gm to go all electric in 2035