General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Glass installation description

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Glass installation description

I know there has to be more to it than just putting the front and rear glass in just like that. Having a hell of a time locating someone here in Lexington that doesn't have a cocky attitude and want a small fortune to put my glass in.(71 442) Just what is involved and what do I need to look out for or ask questions. Spacing, sealing, trim fitting back on......All information is accepted!!
Old June 26th, 2012, 05:46 PM

You should be able to pick up a roll of butyl tape - sealer. It is thick black tape-like. Run it around the edge of the glass. Then carefully pick up the glass and put in in place. Push down around the outside edges and it should be good. It is a two person job to make sure it is seated where it should be. You might want to pick up a couple of the suction holders at Harbor freight. Just watch the clearances around the moulding clips. This is a one shot deal. Once the glass is in place it is in place until you cut it out. Hope this helps.

Here in New York, the glass shops aren't allowed to use the tape any more. They have to use the newer adhesive like new cars. So to keep it original looking you would want to use the tape any way
Old June 26th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by Pacecar
You should be able to pick up a roll of butyl tape - sealer. It is thick black tape-like. Run it around the edge of the glass. Then carefully pick up the glass and put in in place. Push down around the outside edges and it should be good. It is a two person job to make sure it is seated where it should be. You might want to pick up a couple of the suction holders at Harbor freight. Just watch the clearances around the moulding clips. This is a one shot deal. Once the glass is in place it is in place until you cut it out. Hope this helps.

Here in New York, the glass shops aren't allowed to use the tape any more. They have to use the newer adhesive like new cars. So to keep it original looking you would want to use the tape any way
I have the butyl tape. 3/8" thick as this is suppose to make up for the thinner new glass. I understand what your saying but how much do you press down for the proper trim attachment space? I agree-a one shot deal. So what's up with the tape and New York?
Old June 26th, 2012, 06:31 PM

I don't know about new thinner glass. the wieght of the windshield itself should seal. Back glass might need more work to seal.

I was told it was some sort of safety issue.

Use the suction cups and have a helper. You should be good
Old June 26th, 2012, 08:19 PM

Did the butyl tape kit/roll come with a couple small plastic "blocks"??

The 3M kits usually do and these serve as spacers to set the bottom edge of the windshield against as your first maneuver.

You already have the plastic dipped metal pieces that were bolted onto the top of the firewall...these serve the same purpose (SEE PIC BELOW).

If you don't have anything for the rear glass then try to fashion some sort of blocks/stops and PREFIT the glass in there so you can pre-position the rear glass so when you go to do it with the butyl tape on the glass there's no guesswork. Also...test fit the windshield and make marks at the top/bottom to get it centered side-to-side.

In other words....test fit and mark things so there's no guesswork.

It'll definitely take a second set of hands for the back glass.

Can't help on your question about the 3/8" thick stuff and how hard to push. What you do need to do is look through the glass from the outside...it'll be readily apparent where the butyl is contacting and spreading somewhat. You may want to follow up with some sort of window channel sealer around the edge of the glass down into the channel (chaulk gun type application).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4128.JPG (57.9 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by 70Post; June 26th, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old June 26th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Al, you need someone to help you with the install. One on each side. It would be ideal if you had the suction cups installers use to put glass in with. Check the front cowl area where the glass is being installed. There should be 2 small metal ledges (about 2" long) the windshield sits on for proper positioning.

When you put the window in and press it down, check to see if any of the tape sealer spreads out over any of the trim clip attach points. Use a small flatblade to ensure there's enough space for the windshield molding clips to attach.

Not 100% sure if you hook up the antenna in glass before or after install. I think it's before though.