General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Glass Guys: Scratched Windshield fix?

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2018, 05:37 AM

Glass Guys: Scratched Windshield fix?

I had the '70 out for the first time at night Sunday and realized those light scratches, swirls and pitts in the windshield that you can sorta see during the day were a real problem at night with on-coming headlights, streetlights, etc. Any way to fix/buff out?
Old January 23rd, 2018, 07:18 AM

Time for a new windshield. You would have to buff for a lifetime and a half, and then the glass surface is no longer smooth and flat, which can distort the view. A new piece of glass will be free of all that.

Take it to a glass shop first to get their opinion, but I think that, in the end, new glass will be much more satisfactory.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 08:04 AM

I had some really deep scratches in my driver door glass. The felt on the glass stabilizer came off many years ago. I could feel them with my finger. Tried to find new glass with the correct etchings but no luck. I bought a glass polishing kit. I spent the better part of the weekend polishing. At first i thought it was not going to work. But slowly the scratches disappeared. It was a LOT of work. If I look at a certain angle I can see the distortion. I lightly polished all the glass to give them a fresh up. They look like new now. If you have lite scratches on the windshield I would give it a good polish. If they are too deep I suggest you buy new glass as the distortion will be noticeable while driving. The rock chips will not come out.

Mike
Old January 23rd, 2018, 08:09 AM

I've had some luck with ceriglass and Lake Country glass cutting discs... but as Mike77 mentioned, it's a very laborious and messy process. You can spend 3-4 hours on a windshield for a minor improvement.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 08:26 AM

Go to Pilkington and get a new windshield. Not that expensive. They will date code it to whatever date you want for just a few bucks more. Great service and great product.
Old January 24th, 2018, 05:54 AM

Thanks all, I appreciate the advice. My friends neighbor is an auto glass installer and has been around for a while and worked on classics. He's already repaired a rear side window for just $50 so I'm pricing out a new windshield with him. I'd already decided to convert the front brakes to disc this season and was hoping to not have to throw down more money, but it seems that buffing may not be an option here. And I wonder if a new windshield would be safer at this point, too.