General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Getting the right pressure pot for sandblasting

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2013, 01:53 PM

Getting the right pressure pot for sandblasting

Hey,
I'll be getting an air compressor that should deliver 58 CFM @ 100 psi. I want to use it for sandblasting.

I need a pressure pot and related equipment too, and found this ad: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...679088955.html

$300 for a pot and hood with the fresh air supply (pump). Looks like a good deal if everything works. But I have a question. Do I have to worry about matching my compressor to this pressure pot? For now, the only thing I can think of that might be a problem is the size of the sandblaster hose.

Any thoughts?

Rich
Old April 2nd, 2013, 04:37 PM

You're going to need a bigger compressor to run that. You'd need a 10 HP with the 120 gallon tank to run a pot of that size. At my current job, I sandblast steel ships from time to time and I use a pot that size and one even larger (it holds 7 bags of sand!) and I use a LeRoi portable compressor with a diesel engine and it's more than large enough for a pot that size, but barely adequate for the pot that holds 7 bags of sand.

For my own personal use........I use a pot that holds one bag of sand and I have a light industrial compressor, which is adequate for that setup. My compressor shuts off at 150 psi and the motor kicks in at 100 psi. It's a 3 cylinder 8 HP.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 06:03 PM

Hey thanks, but do you know what the pressure and flow rate should be for a pot like that in the ad? I can't relate to horsepower and tank size. I'm converting a VW engine so that two cylinders run on gas, and the other 2 pump air. It will be continuous duty and rated for 58 CFM @ 100psi.

Or do you know what kind of pot I should be using with this compressor?
Old April 2nd, 2013, 06:11 PM

Oh sorry.....I didn't notice it was 58 CFM at 100 psi. That should be plenty to run that. Mine is making only 25 CFM at 100 psi. But that's with the smaller pot. Your's will probably be running all the time, but I don't think you'll lose air pressure. I think that pot holds 2.5 - 3 bags of sand, if I remember correctly? (I haven't used one of those in a couple years)
Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:34 PM

OK, cool. I was getting worried there.

Seems like what this guy is selling is a pretty good deal. i just needed to be sure that my compressor could handle it!

I'll be getting a kit to convert the vw motor soon. I've just got to get it to run first to be sure it's all good. It's an old fuel injected engine. I've got it on my workbench almost ready to fire up, just need to replace the fuel hoses and ignition wires (should be getting those on friday).
Old April 2nd, 2013, 10:58 PM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

Hi Rich, Hope you don't mind if I chime in. That pressure vessel is a 3 cu ft unit so in essence it will hold 3 55lb bags of grit. A general rule for CFM ratings is compressor hp X 4. I would agree with Olds 71 442, you should also get a receiver tank to give your compressor some unload time unless you will just go full on. Another huge factor to consider for CFM draw is the nozzle tip size. Smaller tip = less CFM throughput rerquired. but less work being done. An average tip size is a #5 (5/16"). On a full pressure vessel set to around 80psi you should get about an hour of blast time before it's empty. A lot less if it's walnut or other low density media.
That North fresh air pump alone is worth $800. Its electric so doesn't affect the cfm draw. Otherwise account for another 20-25 cfm for helmet air.
At higher cfm rates moisture will become a factor. You'll need dessicant air dryer in the line so you aren't blowing mud. KMS tools has the good stuff.

If you have any other questions on your mind we have loads of info on our website www.sureblast.ca or give us a call to pick our brains. 778-285-3205. If you find yourself in Port Coquitlam stop by and chat Oldsmobile stuff....

Ron
Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:42 AM

Thanks guys for all the good info. That pressure pot etc. would have been a great deal.. BUT the guy sold it and didn't bother to take the ad down. A bit annoying. I'll have to keep looking. I'd like to find something similar to the setup this guy was selling.

In the meantime I'll be busy getting this compressor/motor together. Soon I'll be buying a conversion kit that includes a receiver tank and filters.

-Rich