General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Getting the delta 88 registered tomorrow!!

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2012, 09:20 PM

Getting the delta 88 registered tomorrow!!

Well Im off to get the 71 delta 88 registered tomorrow got it insured today.....Even though the weather is not the best in southern alberta I cant wait to take this thing on the road
Old March 9th, 2012, 05:38 AM

Hope it all goes well and you get to drive it soon!
Old March 9th, 2012, 06:05 AM

My dad had a 71' 98, and with the 455, that big car would really move. His work buddy had a 71' 88, and when riding inside, you really didn't notice much difference. Don't know what engine he had in it though. Hopefully, you can get yours out soon.
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by scooter123
Well Im off to get the 71 delta 88 registered tomorrow got it insured today.....Even though the weather is not the best in southern alberta I cant wait to take this thing on the road
You putting regular plates on it or historical ones? I know you'll love driving it!
Old March 10th, 2012, 06:51 AM

Hey allan I just put regular plates on it......Whats the difference in regular plates and antique?? Is it cheeper ???

I had a great time driving this car around town yesterday I was suprised by how many looks and thumbs up I got!!
Old March 10th, 2012, 08:32 AM

Great!!!
Old March 10th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey allan I just put regular plates on it......Whats the difference in regular plates and antique?? Is it cheeper ???
How do I put this? uhhh, YES! It's a LOT cheaper. First, you get the insurance from a company like Intact that offers the "Silver wheels" program for antique vehicles. My car costs me 152.00 / year to insure for FULL coverage. There are mileage restrictions (around 3000 miles per year) which works for me because it's not a DD. You do have to get the car appraised though. That's not much - around 250.00 and it's good for 3 years. I didn't ask your age, but if you're under 25 you can't get the antique insurance or let anyone under 25 drive it. That pains me too, because I would love to let my son drive my car.

Plates in AB? You can get the car licensed as an antique vehicle for a ONE TIME fee that's less than 60.00 That means you never have to re-register the plate! (I just checked my registration for confirmation. Under the 'Expiry Date' it reads "continuous". It aslo shows the registration as "Antique Vehicle". FWIW, I also had the 1972 License plate for the car registered as a legal plate for driving here in AB. That means I have 2 license plates that I can drive it legally with. Here's the catch: I can put on the 72 plate for driving to/from shows or to the gas station. For tooling around town I need to have the 'Antique Plate' on the car.

You should ask the Registry you went to if they'll work with you to change the license plate without having to pay an extra fee since it was just done and you didn't know about antique licensing. (Good luck with that though). IMO it's worth it because I don't put a lot of mileage on my 72.
Old March 10th, 2012, 02:12 PM

Not sure how it works in Canada. But insure my car here in the states through Grundy agreed value collector insurance for $20K, with regular plates. $145 bucks a year. But the darn $150 Michigan surcharge, to help cover delinquent drivers, really kills it. With three cars and a bike, that's $600 bucks a year, right there.
Old March 10th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by DeltaPace77
Not sure how it works in Canada. But insure my car here in the states through Grundy agreed value collector insurance for $20K, with regular plates. $145 bucks a year. But the darn $150 Michigan surcharge, to help cover delinquent drivers, really kills it. With three cars and a bike, that's $600 bucks a year, right there.
What I posted IS how it works here in AB. Glad we don't have the retarded surcharges you do. But to put everything in perspective, your basic charge for Grundy insurance is about par with us - except for valuation. Here the ins company wants an appraisal to determine their 'payout value'. The delinquint drivers cost issue Michigan imposes on you is a separate cross to bear. I can see why you would be PO'd about it especially if you're the only one driving them. Maybe they should change their policy to charge only once for each insured driver, regardless of how many vehicles you own. Naww, that would be like giving up a cash cow

Insurance costs are getting outlandish. New drivers up here can expect to pay between 2000 and 2500 +/year unless they go on Mom and Dads' insurance - and that's with the driving school training and safety endorsement.
Old March 10th, 2012, 03:35 PM

Please be sure to post some photos of the '71 Delta 88 when you have a chance!
Old March 10th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...elta-88-a.html
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post378802

I'm sure there will be more to follow.
Old March 10th, 2012, 04:27 PM

Hi allan thanks for all the info...I am going to keep it the way it is for this year, as I hope to drive it a little more than usual!!!!

Thanks!!
Old March 10th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hi allan thanks for all the info...I am going to keep it the way it is for this year, as I hope to drive it a little more than usual!!!!

Thanks!!
Sounds good. I'm going down to RD on Sat to see Curtis. You hear back from that guy in Stoney yet? Maybe you can drive in for the day and join us...LMK
Old March 10th, 2012, 04:51 PM

Thanks to Allan R for linking the topic with the photos. As jaunty75 noted in his reply to that topic, the first thing that struck me was that the car is indeed a Delta 88 Royale 2-door hardtop! I love these cars with their very unique rear window treatment not shared with the other Delta 88 2-door hardtops. I also like the unique rear quarter ornamentation and lower bodyside pinstriping.

This particular model happens to be my personal favorite of all the '71-'76 full-size Oldsmobiles. I have corresponded via e-mail with the owner of this all-original example in Michigan:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradffo...@N21/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradffo...@N21/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradffo...8055/lightbox/

Apart from the car in the linked photos, yours is the only other '71 Royale coupe that I'm aware of. If your car's color is code 39 Capri Aqua, it is also my favorite of the full-size 1971 General Motors colors. It was not terribly popular when new, making it all the more interesting now.

Please keep us posted about your beautiful car!

These cars have been on my radar since I was a kid during the fall of 1970, when they were introduced. I accompanied my parents while they shopped for a new full-size GM 2-door hardtop. Cars like the Delta 88 Royale were very scarce due to the lengthy United Auto Workers strike at GM, which severely disrupted early 1971 model year production. I still have the car my parents purchased at the time -- a '71 Buick Centurion Formal Coupe -- which was certainly GM's most direct counterpart to your Royale.

Last edited by Centurion; March 12th, 2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old March 10th, 2012, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
What I posted IS how it works here in AB. Glad we don't have the retarded surcharges you do. But to put everything in perspective, your basic charge for Grundy insurance is about par with us - except for valuation. Here the ins company wants an appraisal to determine their 'payout value'. The delinquint drivers cost issue Michigan imposes on you is a separate cross to bear. I can see why you would be PO'd about it especially if you're the only one driving them. Maybe they should change their policy to charge only once for each insured driver, regardless of how many vehicles you own. Naww, that would be like giving up a cash cow

Insurance costs are getting outlandish. New drivers up here can expect to pay between 2000 and 2500 +/year unless they go on Mom and Dads' insurance - and that's with the driving school training and safety endorsement.
Well guess I'm gonna shut up on this, after one last post. My Olds is about $300 bucks/year with the MI surcharge. My 08' ZO6 Vette, 08' Pontaic GXP, and home bundled together is about $2K a year, even including the MI surcharges. What the heck am I complaining about.
Old March 10th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Well guess I'm gonna shut up on this, after one last post. My Olds is about $300 bucks/year with the MI surcharge. My 08' ZO6 Vette, 08' Pontaic GXP, and home bundled together is about $2K a year, even including the MI surcharges. What the heck am I complaining about.
I wasn't trying to shut you down. Sorry if it comes across that way. FYI, your bundle ins on the cars and home is only slightly higher than if I bundle ours together. Sounds like ins collusion doesn't it?
Old March 11th, 2012, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I wasn't trying to shut you down. Sorry if it comes across that way. FYI, your bundle ins on the cars and home is only slightly higher than if I bundle ours together. Sounds like ins collusion doesn't it?
No need to apoligize, as didn't take it that way at all. My reply was really meant in humor, as you mentioned $2K, and what I'm paying for a two car and house bundle. It's very good coverage through Allstate too. As for the Canada thing. I'm in the Detroit area, with many of my co-workers living in Ontario. Do some shopping there, and fish in Candian water. Really don't notice much difference between the two countries, except the people seem to be more polite. Mark
Old March 12th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Really don't notice much difference between the two countries, except the people seem to be more polite. Mark
We try. Glad you enjoy your visits up here. I've always enjoyed my stays in the US, and have run into very nice people as well.