General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Getting a Cassette tape out.

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2015, 02:42 PM

Getting a Cassette tape out.

Any methods for getting a cassette tape out of a GM radio without having to remove it from the dash?
Old March 9th, 2015, 07:13 PM
72 Olds CS

push eject !!!

if that fails sometimes grabbing the tape w tweezers or small needlenose while working the eject button can free up a stuck tape.
Old March 9th, 2015, 07:46 PM

Depends on why it won't come out. If it just "whirs" when you press eject, it's likely a slipping rubber belt. They get dry and stretched over time. I've had some luck spraying electronics cleaner inside (pull the fuse first) and letting it dry overnight. But that's IF you can reach the belt. If you want to use the deck again, it will have to come out and be serviced.
Old March 9th, 2015, 08:28 PM
Administrator

It really depends, its one of those things that if its just cocked and stuck, yes perhaps you can help it along with a small screw driver. If the belt is broke or it really ate some of the tape or it's truly jammed, no the radio has to come out.
Old March 10th, 2015, 09:20 PM

Another possibility is a swollen or misshapen cassette cartridge that will not slide out the door easily. A pair of forceps or tweezers can usually be employed to get them out. If it is a "powered eject mechanism", like mentioned above it could be a slipping belt. A gentle tug with the tweezers while the eject mechanism is working can sometimes be effective. I have managed to and seen others eject a tape that was wrapped around the capstans without damaging the unit and then unwind the broken tape but you better know what you are doing! If you manage this, the capstans and pinch-rollers can be cleaned without removing the unit. If this is a factory cassette deck, be very careful because replacement parts are getting extremely hard to find. I worked for a GM repair facility almost 25 years ago now and there were some decks that parts were no longer available for back then. They were picking parts off of old units that were left as unrepairable. The drive belts should still be available but probably through aftermarket stereo repair facilities or over the internet. GM head units were typically easy to replace belts on.
Old March 11th, 2015, 07:02 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by DeepBlue91
Any methods for getting a cassette tape out of a GM radio without having to remove it from the dash?
Not that I know of. Usually when this starts happening the deck needs servicing. Had the same problem in my Regency Brougham. Pull the deck, until the tape comes out you can't even listen to the radio anyway.
Old March 11th, 2015, 10:51 AM

A hammer and chisle work good, but seriously I used thin needle nose pliers when working the eject as stated earlier. Since it will probably need serviced anyway, you may as well remove the unit and take it apart unless you do not intend to use the player and only use the radio.