General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

72 cutlass cassette tape player

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2013, 02:02 PM

72 cutlass cassette tape player

I was wondering if anyone have a picture of a factory cassette tape player for a 72 cutlass. I don't mean a 8 track player either. I see a lot of the 73 with one which am sure will fit into a 72 dash if there wasn't one available for that year. Thanks!
Old January 24th, 2013, 02:19 PM

a member on this website has one for sale and sent me a pic let me look for it do you have a email address
Old February 7th, 2013, 07:31 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 72cutlassdog
I was wondering if anyone have a picture of a factory cassette tape player for a 72 cutlass. I don't mean a 8 track player either. I see a lot of the 73 with one which am sure will fit into a 72 dash if there wasn't one available for that year. Thanks!
Oldsmobile did not make a cassette player for the Cutlass in 1972. Only option was the 8 track which was pod mounted under the center dash.

There are 'aftermarket' stereos that claim to look OEM with AM/FM Cassette, but they are not OEM, nor correct for the car.

You may want to look at this one from later model production. The seller provides the measurements and dimensions in his ad. I have no way of knowing right now if it will fit without modifying the dash.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/78-79-80-81-...a3a77d&vxp=mtr
Old February 7th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Oldsdruid

I think Chevy was the only GM Division that offered a cassette player then, and it wasn't an integrated unit- the cassette player mounted on a stand on the console. Chrysler was offering it those years, again as a stand alone unit with both play and record functions.
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:58 PM

Pontiac and Olds offered a cassette player in 72, it was either floor mounted or could be on the console if equipped...heres one right on this site

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...rare-item.html

Last edited by marxjunk; February 7th, 2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old February 8th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by marxjunk
Pontiac and Olds offered a cassette player in 72, it was either floor mounted or could be on the console if equipped...heres one right on this site

Interesting, but not from the factory they didn't. For 750.00 + shipping though.......

Additionally Oldsmobile rocket or brand doesn't appear on that product - just Delco. I would further suggest the cassette would be generically available to ALL GM brands, not just Olds as the seller suggests, it likely appeared in Pontiac, Chev, Buick and Cadillac showroom manuals as well. He is right that it appears on page 98 of the Olds showroom (Dealer Ordering Guide) although it's not listed anywhere in the dealer SPECS. I realize that 8 tracks were to the stereo same as Beta Max was to video. Both were flash in the pan. Now even cassette is becoming a buzz word as it fades to the background in lieu of CDs.

Your point about GM offering cassettes for their brands has opened a new awareness to a lot of us. Thanks, eh?
Old February 8th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Oldsdruid

I donno, Allan- Muntz "Stereo-Pak" 4-track tape cartridge players appeared around 1963, showed up in Fords as a factory option in 1966, then around 67 the 8-track (true stereo) version showed up and everybody offered them. 8-tracks lasted on into the 1980s, so 20 years isn't exactly a short time run.

I found that Motorola and Tenna were the best hang-on decks for the money, with Pioneer having the best FM sections. Craig Powerplays were pretty good too but would often fritz out after a couple years use.
Old February 8th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Just an Olds Guy

True, 20 years seems like a long time; I guess it's all a matter of perspective. Is a cassette even an option in new cars anymore?

I remember the 8 track era well. In fact I still have a bunch in the basement + I have an 8 track recorder to make new ones if I want to. Only thing that I really didn't like about them was how bulky they were, although at the time they seemed fairly compact compared to having a turntable hooked up in the car.

I had a Craig Powerplay and it did put out pretty decent sound until it was stolen....
Old February 8th, 2013, 02:02 PM

never say never.....it was available on every GM car very late in the year in 71..ive seen 2 72 H/O sunroof cars with window stickers, and they both had cassette tape on the consoles...it was so rare and so expensive it was in very few cars, and so far, the only 2 makes ive seen it is Olds and Pontiac..you need to do a little more research before you say Olds never had it...it was nearly a 400 dollar option, which was a lot of money in 71.72....ive had 2 NOS cassette players in GM boxes..one in an Olds box and one in a Pontiac box, and they brought 2 grand each..as far as being branded with the rocket or an arrow head for pontiac, is really a generic statement

Ive had a sold enough radios in the past to fill 4 or 5 tactor trailers...so..never say never...experience will bite ya every time
Old February 8th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ok, point taken Mark. Although I don't recall ever saying 'never' in my post. Like I said in 6, thanks for the 'awareness'. I actually did some research BTW and found the only reference to cassette players in the Olds Parts manual was for a brace and an 'adapter' which cost 117.00

Everything has to be new at some point. Usually that means less supply/awareness and also big $$. Rare? Depends on many factors. Easy comparisons - computers and flat screen TV. In 72 though, 8 track was king and here comes the new(er) kid - the cassette. Even the 8 track was not a highly demanded product - but it was a factory and dealer installed option. If you add the costs of the U57 and U58 options together it comes out to 347.00 which is comparable to what you claim the cassette option was.

Far as branding, I still think most of the brands were very keen to identify some kind of image or brand name on their radios and players, and have seen a LOT of images that support that theory. But I don't see the bottom of that slope and haven't found any conclusive consistencies that would support my theory yet.

IIRC 73 and later the AM/FM stereo cassettes were simply labled as Delco GM and were fully integrated units, well except the units in my 95 Regency and Saturn which are branded with the Oldsmobile name and Saturn emblem appropriately.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:02 AM

I'm glad that I came to and joined this site to discover that I have one of those rare cassette decks, but mine has the brackets on it where it attaches to the floor hump underneath the dashboard. Have never tested it for operation but it looks as nice as the one that was for sale and mentioned in an earlier post in this thread. I had two 1972 Olds Vista Cruisers and parted out a couple of more way back when. It might just be time to see what all I have!
Old May 19th, 2015, 08:13 PM

Well I have 3 of them. I read over a decade ago that they were a BOP item for late 71 and early 72 models (A body) . There is one on Ebay at this moment for 1295.00 . I am bench testing all mine next week and will install new belts where required. Then they will be for sale as I am selling my GTO. The connection cable and mounts are here too.
Old May 25th, 2015, 02:03 PM

Never heard of such a thing!
Old May 25th, 2015, 07:15 PM

mopar even went so far as to include a mic..so you could dictate as you where driving..ive had a couple of those too
Old November 28th, 2015, 11:39 PM

Well we bench tested them and they are for sale as my car was sold in August. One has sold this week. Unit # 2 is available for $800. PM for details.
Old November 29th, 2015, 08:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by our72gto
Well we bench tested them and they are for sale as my car was sold in August. One has sold this week. Unit # 2 is available for $800. PM for details.
Given that you've resurrected a thread from 2013, you MIGHT have better luck posting an ad in the Parts For Sale section. Good luck.
Old November 29th, 2015, 11:36 PM

Well it is listed there but you get the same " Never Happened" response as back in this thread. Glad some one shares my "Never Say NEVER" approach to life. Mine do not have the P stamped on the label. Maybe that was for PONTIAC?
Old November 30th, 2015, 06:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Well it is listed there but you get the same " Never Happened" response as back in this thread. Glad some one shares my "Never Say NEVER" approach to life. Mine do not have the P stamped on the label. Maybe that was for PONTIAC?
Unfortunately, this is a little-known dealer-installed item. Most folks were not aware of it.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 12:37 PM

My books from PONTIAC show clearly it was factory OR dealer installed in their models. Possibly Olds and Buick only made the item available to dealers.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 01:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

My books from PONTIAC show clearly it was factory OR dealer installed in their models. Possibly Olds and Buick only made the item available to dealers.
I believe that is the case (at least for Olds). I can find no reference to the cassette player being factory installed in 1972 Oldsmobile literature, only dealer installed by Olds. There's no RPO code that I can find, for example. There may be a dealer bulletin that provides that data, but to date I have not seen such a document.
Old November 22nd, 2023, 06:21 PM

1971 1972 cassette player ..

Originally Posted by Allan R
Oldsmobile did not make a cassette player for the Cutlass in 1972. Only option was the 8 track which was pod mounted under the center dash.

There are 'aftermarket' stereos that claim to look OEM with AM/FM Cassette, but they are not OEM, nor correct for the car.

You may want to look at this one from later model production. The seller provides the measurements and dimensions in his ad. I have no way of knowing right now if it will fit without modifying the dash.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/78-79-80-81-...a3a77d&vxp=mtr
Alan R you are absolutely incorrect !!
There was a cassette tape player for 1971 -72
look up cassette player there is someone
selling one on this site.. it mounted on the floor
and it had a bracket that allowed the tape player
to be mounted on the console.
Old November 22nd, 2023, 07:26 PM

That was 8 years ago, broham.