General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

gas tank woes...

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2011, 07:07 PM

gas tank woes...

i dropped the gas tank on granny this morning to change out the sending unit, when i got it on the ground i was blown away by all the crap in the tank so i took it to the car wash and washed a bunch of crud out of, brought it home and dried it out then blew compressed air thru it. anyhow after i got it all back together i took it to the station and filled it and it puked a bunch of gas out when it was full, it had never done that before... i did replace the hoses on the surge fitting but other than that didn't do anything other than replace the sending unit.
i'm not sure what the inside of the tank is like from a design standpoint, is there any sort of internal valve that i may have messed up or plugged that isn't allowing the surge valve to do it's thing?

any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Old November 5th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

You probably should have taken it to a radiator shop and had them clean it and seal it. That way you would not have to worry about old gas and crude getting in your fuel lines and carb.I don't know how the inside of the tank is made.
Old November 6th, 2011, 05:53 AM

i considered having it dipped but the nearest radiator shop is about 90 miles away. it's always an option if i have issues but i've been driving it with no troubles. i've been running a see thru fuel filter and the first 2 or 3 loaded up with rust pretty good but since then they've stayed clean.
i figure if i start having trouble i'll have the radiator shop boil it out and i'll use summits sealer kit on it.
Old November 6th, 2011, 06:41 AM

New tanks are so cheap that I would never have a used tank cleaned/repaired. Check Rock Auto,they have the best prices on tanks.
Old November 6th, 2011, 09:57 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I'm not in a position to pick up a gas tank for an American car at the local junkyard, and it would be cheaper for me to have one made locally than ship one to here.

When I had a leaky gas tank (rust) on a Chevy Monza I removed it and encapsulated it in glass fiber.
It never leaked and cost me 2 hours of my time and £5 ($10 at the exchange rate then) in materials.

Not the way for purists, however necessity is the mother of invention......

Roger.
Old November 6th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Make sure your vent lines are connected right and clear.
Old November 7th, 2011, 04:44 PM

Gas tank woes

I've looked at Rock Auto and others for gas tanks....they sell the Spectra brand which I think is Canadian made..I believe Inline tube may sell the same brand, but I'm not sure.
My problem is that the listing for a 66 442 that many vendors sell comes with 2 vent tubes, where my tank only has one vent tube. How do you get around that issue?
Old November 7th, 2011, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by bobfo1
I've looked at Rock Auto and others for gas tanks....they sell the Spectra brand which I think is Canadian made..I believe Inline tube may sell the same brand, but I'm not sure.
My problem is that the listing for a 66 442 that many vendors sell comes with 2 vent tubes, where my tank only has one vent tube. How do you get around that issue?
Nobody makes the correct 66 Cutlass tank. Here's what you can do to make a correct 66 tank. You can buy either a 65 Cutlass or 66 Chevelle tank,they are identical to the 66 Cutlass tank EXCEPT for the filler neck. They have the correct one vent pipe in the right front of the tank like a 66 tank. You have to put the 66 Cutlass filler neck in either of those tanks and it's perfect. You don't know what lengths I've went to trying to get the correct 66 Cutlass tank made by the vendors but they don't care. All of the vendors sell the 67 Cutlass tank for the 66 cars and it's totally wrong. It has two vent pipes in the rear of the tank. Rock Auto had the 66 Chevelle Spectra tank for $94,the 65 Cutlass tank was $150 +. I'm telling you,they are the same tank except for the filler neck. I used the Spectra 66 Chevelle tank from Rock Auto for my 66. Hope this helps.
Old November 8th, 2011, 04:39 PM

gas tank

Can you purchase a filler neck or do you need to remove it from the tank being replaced?
Old November 8th, 2011, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by bobfo1
Can you purchase a filler neck or do you need to remove it from the tank being replaced?
I reused the original filler neck. I had my original filler neck zinc plated but I guess you could paint it to prevent rusting.
Old November 8th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
New tanks are so cheap that I would never have a used tank cleaned/repaired. Check Rock Auto,they have the best prices on tanks.
Can't disagree with you on the prices. O'Reillys tank is the same as RockAuto but rocks is 100.00 less. I was intrigued and thought that was a great deal. Bitten by the bug I put one in the shopping cart and went to the checkout. I must have left all the headlights on, cause they really saw me coming. $245.00 truck freight + 163 for the tank? Your kidding right? Over 400.00 is not that affordable. I'm going to have to replace my tank sooner than later because it already sprang a leak several years back and I had it fixed and sealed at a rad shop. My gut say's its getting ready to create another hazmat scene in the near future. But I won't be buying from Rockauto.
Old November 9th, 2011, 06:40 AM

there have been many times i've put together a cart full of parts on the rock auto website but after seeing the shipping costs i just write the part #'s down & go to napa... rock auto has potential but until they figure their shipping situation out i won't buy much from them...
Old November 9th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by bigD
there have been many times i've put together a cart full of parts on the rock auto website but after seeing the shipping costs i just write the part #'s down & go to napa... rock auto has potential but until they figure their shipping situation out i won't buy much from them...
Yeah, one of the things RockAuto says right up front is to order as many parts as you can from a single location. Their parts are all coded ABCDetc and each one corresponds to a different location in the US. So if you picked say 10 parts and they came from 4 or 5 different locations, you would pay major shipping costs instead of having everything bundled into one box. That just doesn't make sense to me. From my point of view they're just putting together a money grab to offset their initial lower costs.

When I was looking for brake, suspension and Power steering parts, you couldn't beat their cost. Then add the freight from all the different locations. My parts would have cost around 140 bucks. Shipping was over 200. So I also went to NAPA. Slightly higher cost than Rock (about 10%), but way faster and no shipping. + they fit.

On the + side, if you are just getting parts from one source at RockAuto, I don't think anyone can beat their prices and they do have a great selection.
Old November 9th, 2011, 12:18 PM

i agree Allen. i live in a small town with 1 parts store, a napa. some stuff they are really good on and other stuff is mindblowing... their prices were better when they had some competition...
i have ordered from Rock Auto and will continue when it works out but geez, i have a dana 50 ttb that i want to swap the carrier in, yesterday i was on there (Rock) and i couldn't even get the cups & cones from the same location!
Old November 9th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by bigD
i live in a small town with 1 parts store, a napa. some stuff they are really good on and other stuff is mindblowing... their prices were better when they had some competition...

yesterday i was on there (Rock) and i couldn't even get the cups & cones from the same location!
Totally understand your dilemna and feel your pain. Competition does bring better prices sometimes. Have you looked at O'Reilly's website or Otterzone? They do compete with on line sites.

I did a quick search on O'Reillys for cups (19) and cones (20) and they have them. If you're looking for (29) and (2) I'd bet they have those too. Just they don't call them cups or cones. Listed according the ring gear size. I'm not really a truck guy, just trying to be helpful. If this stuff is out to lunch - just disregard. good luck with your carrier swap.
Old November 9th, 2011, 04:38 PM

thanks! there is an O'reillys about 90 miles north of here, i get thru that area fairly often so i may have to check into that. back in '04 i put a dana tru trac in the front of my pickup truck, it turned out to be rather delicate as it launched a spider gear thru the side of the carrier and got all balled up and basically became a spool... real handy...
i bought that from rieder racing when they were modifying dana 44 units for use in the 50's, what a joke! oh well, live & learn. stock sized tires no less... powerstroke diesel tho.