General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

gas tank replacement or repair?

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2011, 06:08 PM

Lightbulb gas tank replacement or repair?

i got a new question and wanted to get answers or opinions on what i have been thinking.

i was wondering since i cant find a new replacement gas tank if one from an impala would work

if not has anyone used the tank sealer stuff the they advertise on some of the antique restoration sites and does it work.

also, if i was to use the tank sealer system on the inside of the tank do you think putting "linex" the truck bed liner stuff, on the out side help prevent it from rusting the rest of the way.

Last edited by plummytruckin; June 30th, 2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old June 30th, 2011, 06:20 PM

I used northern tank liner on mine worked out great. Hard as a rock when it sets up and no worries about rust inside again. Then i used the pore15 on the outside to make sure it is around for a while longer.
Old June 30th, 2011, 06:31 PM

It totally depends, if your Olds is an A body and your tank is corroded/damaged badly, then you should consider sourcing another garden variety A body tank that is in good condition. These style tanks are still available at salvage and many vendors. If your Olds is a '37 Maltby convertible, or perhaps a '11 Limited you would be better off finding a tank restoration shop using the "Renu" process. This method is permanent, and is guaranteed for life. Slosh type repairs are not the way to go for a permanent fix with today's ethanol based fuels......The material WILL break down, and will leave you stranded at the most inopportune time. They do work temporarily but ultimately are about as reliable as most other snake oils on the market. Best wishes in whichever path you decide.
Old June 30th, 2011, 06:35 PM

I actually called the company and asked them about ethanol. And they say it is 100% effective against it so i went with it.
Old June 30th, 2011, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Funkwagon455
It totally depends, if your Olds is an A body and your tank is corroded/damaged badly, then you should consider sourcing another garden variety A body tank that is in good condition. These style tanksy are still available at salvage and many vendors. If your Olds is a '37 Maltby convertible, or perhaps a '11 Limited you would be better off finding a tank restoration shop using the "Renu" process. This method is permanent, and is guaranteed for life. Slosh type repairs are not the way to go for a permanent fix with today's ethanol based fuels......The material WILL break down, and will leave you stranded at the most inopportune time. They do work temporarily but ultimately are about as reliable as most other snake oils on the market. Best wishes in whichever path you decide.
Its a dynamic 88 dont know the body
Old June 30th, 2011, 08:10 PM

Ok so according to wikipedia its a B body
Old July 1st, 2011, 07:44 AM

PM sent
Old July 1st, 2011, 09:51 AM
Registered car nut

I was quoted 200-300 dollars to have a radiator shop seal one I was working on.
I thought thats crazy and resealed it myself. I used a POR 15 kit which has good reviews. Lots of pro/cons on this subject. Google it.
After spending many hours for many days because I wanted it done right.
2-3 hundred for someone else to do it is not so bad.
New repo tank probably your best bet. jmo
Old July 2nd, 2011, 03:57 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I encapsulated my rusty tank on my Chevy Monza with fibreglass, it never leaked the rest of the time I had the POS. I used regular unleaded gas btw probably equivalent to USA premium, 93 octane rating.
Roger.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 07:45 AM

The reason I was wondering about the bed liner stuff is it's supposed to be chemical resistant and tough