General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Gas prices top $4 a gallon in 6 states.

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2011, 06:43 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Gas prices top $4 a gallon in 6 states.

It's no secret gas is on the climb,when and where will it stop?
The article here says 6 states have hit $4.00 a gallon and I'm sure there are plenty more that are close behind.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/...US.Gas.Prices/

Old April 17th, 2011, 06:54 PM

up here just north of Toronto we are paying 1.34 a litre which works out to 5.36 a US gallon, we passed 4.00 /gallon a year ago
Old April 17th, 2011, 07:19 PM

Well for my 442 who cares.....I have been paying $9/gal for leaded premium for 2 years now!!!!
Old April 17th, 2011, 07:24 PM

I hope it goes back down, but most predictions I've seen say it will make the $5.00 mark this time. John
Old April 17th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Oldsdruid

As long as futures traders and speculators have any excuse to drive the price up, it will keep going up. And they'll wreck the economy again just like they did last time. It's past time to re-regulate oil trading.

Some NC State University economist was prattling a couple months back about how rising gas prices signaled economic recovery. I remember thinking then let it hit 4 bucks a gallon and see how quick the economy goes back in the toilet.

Same economist has rethought his position in the past couple weeks and now says if it doesn't stop the economy is headed back into deeper recession.

Ya reckon?
Old April 17th, 2011, 08:16 PM

at the end of the day, so what.

I'm sure you wont stop driving your car, we get this in Australia all the time and right now its over $6 gallon, and I'm sure in the UK its higher and then scandinavia its probably $10 or $12 gallon. It is what it is.

Do I like it? hell no. but if I played golf I would have club fee's, if I skydived or scuba dived it would be some other consumable cost.

I drive my '55 olds daily and am looking at putting a 455 in it. Hell man I want to make sure I get my share before its all gone!

what I hate is that come this wednesday or thursday before good friday it will jump 50 or 60 cents a gallon, why?? its still the same gas that was in the tank on tuesday, but as its a long weekend its rape the motorist time.

this stuff use to urk me a heap, but now I don't worry. I have decided to not sweat the small things. as long as I wake up in the morning , my family is healthy and I can afford to put gas in my car I'm a king.

but if there is a class action against the theives, I will be there!
Old April 17th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Oldskeeper
up here just north of Toronto we are paying 1.34 a litre which works out to 5.36 a US gallon, we passed 4.00 /gallon a year ago
Actually it's $5.06 / US gallon. Don't forget that a US gallon is 3.78 litres. But your point is well taken. Gas costs continue to rise and it seems like everyone is willing to pay. Even here in Alberta (oil capital of Canada) the price at the pum is currently 114.9. It varies to 119.9 /litre depending where you go.

For our American friends, we tend to convert mpg a little different up here. A Canadian gallon is 4.54 litres. That translates to anywhere from 5.21 here to 6.08 for Oldskeeper in GTA.

To 'offset' the rising cost of gas (drum roll) auto manufacturerrs are producing more gas efficient/hybrid cars that only cost around $30-35,000.00. Any idea of how much gas you could buy for that kind of money? Hey, I'm all for progress, just not for getting screwed by big oil and the hostage taking oil cartels
Old April 17th, 2011, 08:34 PM

This is obviously going to be a devastating blow to the economic outlook of this jobless recovery we're in.
I said in 2005 when the sh** hits the fan, that it's going to hit it real bad in multiple waves.
We've only experienced the 1st wave. I think this is the 2nd wave.

The pinnacle of our economy and our American lifestyle has already been reached and now
our future outlook is going to radically change if you ask me.

Originally Posted by flatoz
at the end of the day, so what.

this stuff use to urk me a heap, but now I don't worry. I have decided to not sweat the small things. as long as I wake up in the morning , my family is healthy and I can afford to put gas in my car I'm a king.

but if there is a class action against the theives, I will be there!
I like the way you think.
This isn't going to change my lifestyle either.

I have my '05 Wide Glide and '05 Hayabusa to ride MORE this year now.
Both bikes get 35mpg city / 50mpg highway. So that's going to be my main joyriding transportation for 2011.

It just means my classics will be in a "maintenance" year and I can gut the motor out of my Olds
and clean up my engine bay and engine. Now is the time people will be strongly considering updating
to overdrive transmissions for their classics. Funny because it's 30 year old technology.
Others don't care and will just drive them less most likely.

I'm not sweating it and it's not going to make me live like a hermit either.
1 gallon of gas = the price of 1 beer at the bar.

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I hope it goes back down, but most predictions I've seen say it will make the
$5.00 mark this time. John
Today's prices for premium in Chicago .
We've been over $4 a gallon for quite awhile now. San Francisco and Chicago
are usually the highest prices in the nation for the past few years.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Aceshigh; April 17th, 2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old April 18th, 2011, 07:27 AM
InfoJunkie

There are a lot of valid points already stated and I would like to add more.

The price of consumer products (gas in this case ) is related to wages companies have to pay out. Higher wages equals higher prices.

It is only fair to compare prices in other countries if you take the local minimum wage into account and relate the two items. Higher wages equals higher prices.

The last point is amount sold to income needed to run the business. If the company sales drop to half then the price must double to meet the needs of running the business. The less gas we use the higher the price so keep the price down and drive.
Old April 18th, 2011, 06:25 PM

RELAX: WallStreet just crapped itself and the credit rating for the USA is tanking. And lastly OPEC just reported sales also tanking...OUTCOME: prices will drop. Sometimes bad news for others is good news for our hungry gas tanks.
Old April 18th, 2011, 06:57 PM
GM Enthusiast

Just paid 4.06/gallon tonight, definitely gettin' ugly.
Old April 18th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by navvet
RELAX: WallStreet just crapped itself and the credit rating for the USA is tanking. And lastly OPEC just reported sales also tanking...OUTCOME: prices will drop. Sometimes bad news for others is good news for our hungry gas tanks.
OPEC sales tanking? I don't think so. They have an 'emerging' market opening up in China and India + there is no indication that we're holding them hostage to lower their prices. They simply have inventory that they can choose to release when they want to manipulate the price / barrel.

Gas prices will drop? OMG I hope so. But I'm not holding my breath. News today said: Get ready for Easter! Gas prices are set to go up by 20 cents a gallon. Want to bet that right after that the price will STAY high for a long time? Don't forget we're almost to the summer gas gouging season too.

Pretty quick I'd bet that those without locking gas doors or caps are going to run out of gas closing the car door, even though the tank was full the night before.....people pressed by a tanking economy will do most anything they can to support their 'gas habit'.
Old April 18th, 2011, 08:32 PM

It's not just the price of a tank of gas, it's everything that has transportation costs. I went to the grocery store on the way home from work. Milk was up 25% from last month, bread about 15%. Fruit and vegies too, but that could also be due to weather related issues. Petroleum products are all through our society and if they go up and stay that way for any length of time its going to hurt.
Old April 18th, 2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by navvet
If Washington D.C. doesn't fix that credit rating issue the States may be in a world of hurt!
Old April 18th, 2011, 08:44 PM

It won't matter if you have a locking gas door, gas cap, electric shock on the gas door, spikes with poison on them to keep them from steeling your gas, they will just punch a hole in the bottom of your tank, get what they can in a can, and let the rest flow onto the ground. That's what happened out here 2 years ago when the prices went nuts. All these gas prices will do is drive the economy down again, and it aint gonna be pretty.
Old April 18th, 2011, 08:58 PM

Well, the Saudis announced they are going to cut production because of lower oil sales. The speculators have raised the price about as far as it can go, so now to keep the price high, production has to be cut. Can't blame them, they don't want it to drop below $50 a barrel again.
Higgins
Old April 19th, 2011, 09:54 AM

Supply and demand affect the price of oil also. Banning drilling for oil decreased the supply so the price went up. Moving to the eco friendly summer blend will make prices go up for the summer. Gas stations dont make much money on gas sales so less sales wont affect them much. OPEC just signed a deal to set prices at a certain level which will keep prices high. I dont see prices coming down anytime soon.
Old April 19th, 2011, 04:39 PM

With what I invested in my car and the amount I still have to spend, $4-5 gas is the least of my problems.
Old April 19th, 2011, 04:51 PM

yeah well.. thats what you get with a community organizer as President! The Highest gas prices ever recorded in our countrys History!... Meanwhile he stops our USA Companies from oil drilling and says nothing about China who is now drilling for Cuba right off Florida's coast in the Gulf!
Old April 19th, 2011, 04:55 PM

i will stop driving my 10MPG truck soon to drive the more economical 84 H/O. i hope to get at least 15 with it. if things keep going i will have to sell the H/O and get a geo. may have to put a brigs engine on my bicycle to ride back and forth to work.

i just can't afford to road farm for old Oldsmobiles any more.