General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

gas prices posted as of yesterday online.

Old November 29th, 2013, 02:04 PM
jfb

gas prices posted as of yesterday online.

hey guys i am a big believer in driving our cars fulltime period. I have upgraded mine all over for real driving and etc. I saw online yesterday that gas prices due to oil being re discovered in the usa that prices will really be going down maybe but very possibly next year. i say that all of us a group drive our babys all of the time next year and show the new generation what the real beauty of them is. i also would like to teach them the real side of prideful ownership and put our babys back in there classy category and keep all avenues and parts for them going so we can in the future depend on our vendors for parts,It all makes sense and we can show off our pride and joy. also. average premium now in chicago 3,45 summer 2014 about 4 a gallon tops and we all can have real fun and a 2nd car fulltime. lets hope the stories pan out.
Old November 29th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jfb
hey guys i am a big believer in driving our cars fulltime period. I have upgraded mine all over for real driving and etc. I saw online yesterday that gas prices due to oil being re discovered in the usa that prices will really be going down maybe but very possibly next year. i say that all of us a group drive our babys all of the time next year and show the new generation what the real beauty of them is. i also would like to teach them the real side of prideful ownership and put our babys back in there classy category and keep all avenues and parts for them going so we can in the future depend on our vendors for parts,It all makes sense and we can show off our pride and joy. also. average premium now in chicago 3,45 summer 2014 about 4 a gallon tops and we all can have real fun and a 2nd car fulltime. lets hope the stories pan out.
Not sure exactly what your point was, but gasoline price has pretty much no relationship to gasoline cost. Case in point: here in Northern VA, regular went from $3.19/gal to $3.39/gal overnight last Sunday night at every gas station in town. Now, I'm guessing that not all of these stations received a delivery of new, more expensive gas on the same night. I wonder if the pending Thanksgiving holiday travel had anything to do with this???
Old November 29th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Administrator

It was $2.87 for 87 octane here in Mayberry a couple of weeks ago. This week it's $3.08. The price of gas hasn't really effected my driving habits much.
Old November 29th, 2013, 02:18 PM

If an Arab sheik becomes offended because the wind shifts and a camel passes gas at an inopportune moment, gasoline prices rise.
Old November 29th, 2013, 02:33 PM
jfb

I was making the point with out being offensive that some people and not me have posted that gasoline prices keep them from driving there babies fulltime, i drive mine 5 days a week to work plus weekends regardless but not after the first 45 degree day. i have owned mine since it was a 2nd or 3rd hand used car and upgraded along the lines of time. the world needs to see them in a new light again and all of us can now maybe due this and fully enjoy them again and go forward.
Old April 12th, 2014, 08:51 PM
jfb

joe was right they lied again and get richer what a shame.
Old April 12th, 2014, 09:06 PM

Yep here we jumped to 1.30 a litre. Someone must of farted at opec
Old April 13th, 2014, 04:45 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by jfb
joe was right they lied again and get richer what a shame.
My wife and I are visiting Chicago and the gas here is about 4.19 a gallon. That's about 80 cents more than in Houston. I don't think I would want to drive my classic here everyday, that traffic on Cicero is something else even in Midday.
Old April 13th, 2014, 04:53 AM

A lot of oil pricing is based on the perceived value of the US dollar at any given point in time. If other currencies rise relative to the US dollar, commodity prices such as oil and gold rise. What you often see at the pump is a sharp rise when this happens and a VERY slow dropping of price (to maximize profit) when the dollar gets stronger... unless there is a glut of refined fuel...
In other words, price goes up FAST and comes down VERY SLOW!
Old April 13th, 2014, 05:08 AM

$3.65 a gallon of reg unleaded in Ct
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:07 AM
Randy C.

The price here has gone up 10 cents a week for the last 5 weeks - now $3.60/gal at ARCO, the least expensive gas around here. It's the changeover to summer gas! Someone at the refinery had to trip a Y-gate from the winter position to the summer position! Just joking - it's got to involve more than that. Don't worry, though - the price will peak around Memorial Day weekend and then start dropping again.

Randy C.
Old April 13th, 2014, 03:25 PM
2 '66 98's

Here in central Jersey, Shell and Exxon are the brands to avoid! Shell is the high price leader and Exxon is not far behind. Why should they charge 14 to 17 cents a gallon more than the other brands, and that is the "cash" price. For "credit", add another 10 cents. It's not just a particular station either, it's the general average for the brand.
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Most places in my part of DFW are $3.59 for 87 octane. It went up 16 cents this past week. I found some at an Exxon C-store yesterday for $3.49. Good thing because at that price my thirsty F250 only took $82.10.

Last edited by redoldsman; April 14th, 2014 at 07:40 AM.
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:04 PM

Glad to see you're enjoying your car every day.

Gas in my neighbourhood is a lot more expensive than the numbers I'm seeing in this thread. There's a big push for being green etc. here, so they feel they have a license to tax us up the A$$.
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:36 PM
"Trying to fix her right"

Originally Posted by gh5168
My wife and I are visiting Chicago and the gas here is about 4.19 a gallon. That's about 80 cents more than in Houston. I don't think I would want to drive my classic here everyday,
Welcome to my world! I'm in a burb west of Chicago so I'm at $4.09 a gallon, not much better. I usually go to costco though, they are at $3.85. Keep in mind this is for regular, don't ask what 93 goes for Costco is usually 20-30 cents a gallon cheaper, but you usually have to wait a half hour in line to get it.
Old April 14th, 2014, 09:55 AM

Gas is not going to go down much in the next few years. Prices depend on a lot of factors including politics.
I do try to drive my car as much as I can. I dont drive it when it's gonna snow or rain and sometimes it's in pieces cause I'm still restoring it. The other time I dont drive it is when it's out of gas and I have not been paid yet.
Old April 14th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by dfire25
Welcome to my world! I'm in a burb west of Chicago so I'm at $4.09 a gallon, not much better.
Send me a couple hundred gallons. Our prices just came 'down' to 4.53/gal. I just got back from Surrey and their prices were 'only' 5.48/gal. That's just regular. Mid and Premium cost your left leg or arm.

Is most of this dictated by markets and gas companies? Of course it is. Is some of it just plain greed (special holidays)? Absolutely. Is some of it due to depleted stockpiles? Yup - it's a combination of a lot of things that consumers have absolutely NO control over. Gas has become a BOHICA manipulative.
Old April 16th, 2014, 03:13 PM
jfb

Originally Posted by gh5168
My wife and I are visiting Chicago and the gas here is about 4.19 a gallon. That's about 80 cents more than in Houston. I don't think I would want to drive my classic here everyday, that traffic on Cicero is something else even in Midday.
I know cicero avenue to well watch out jfb. south of 5th can be a real problem.
Old April 16th, 2014, 07:26 PM

I live in Sweden and the price for a liter here is 2.30 USD. (95 oktane lead free)
A gallon is aprox 4 litres so a gallon costs about 9 USD here.

I think you guys are lucky to have such low gasprices
Old April 17th, 2014, 04:22 AM

gas in punxsutawney is 3.69 at sheetz,3.75 at unimart(sunoco). must have to pay for nascar. lol. if ever going through pa cheepest gas is at the pilot in lamar exit 173, I 80 I stop there on my way to see family and normally 20 cents a gallon less than home.plus with a pilot card you get another 2 cents off . seems decent gas jeep gets better milege with it than exxon. hope for the keystone pipeline. if not the oil will go to asia and the oil companies will have an excuse to keep boning us. no reason gas isnt 2.50 bucks a gallon that would give oil co,s 1.50 a gallon. remember gov, fed and state taxes are applied. stations only see a 2-5 cent per gallon pay. pa has about 47 cents on a gal tax. (we have expensive pot holes)
Old April 17th, 2014, 07:58 AM

I was just reading this thread and thought I'd post our price here in San Diego, CA: $4.26 for regular and rising every day.
Old April 17th, 2015, 05:46 PM
jfb

I know this thread is old but is a real concern for us overall, How are prices around and has anyone seen a dramatic increase yet and if so I guess opec had to wipe there *** that day. by the way opec means and really means our presidents economic committee.
Old April 17th, 2015, 06:40 PM

My local station was $2.45 for 91 octane on my last fill up.
Old April 17th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Good deal Ken!
You probably won't want to visit Canada when you see this. It's for 87 Octane. Up here the 91 and 94 are through the roof, so is diesel. Alberta has the least expensive gas in the country, and between Edmonton/Calgary the lowest in Alberta. They tax the hell out of gas up here.

Old April 17th, 2015, 08:02 PM
Gary

I filled up today paid 2.09.
Old April 17th, 2015, 08:15 PM
same but different

$2.19 today

Was $2.05 yesterday.
Old April 17th, 2015, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
They tax the hell out of gas up here.
Ack. Not as bad as Europe where the tax is more than the base fuel price, but still, ACK!
I thought you folks had vast oil fields, tar sands, and such. No price break for local products?
Old April 18th, 2015, 03:24 AM

$1.37 per litre of unleaded crap...in Sydney Australia ....you guys are lucky !!!
Old April 18th, 2015, 11:06 AM
jfb

I agree almost all gas is taxed through the roof guys. I was living on cicero avenue in Chicago and a friend said that gas was at that time out the door for about 90 cents a gallon of course plus delivery and gas station mark up. the rest is taxes per gallon, I as a kid at the time remember when the first taxes came about around 30 cents a gallon early eighties then. the new race gas additive at about 2 ounces per gallon and around 30 bucks a can for it can increase octane to about 97 to 98 with 93 the original number it looks promising for about 11.5 to 1 compression and of course aluminum heads and a long cam help maybe we can cut a break guys. the usage of gasoline looks to be controlled with a higher tax amount and of course a higher per gallon price. when gas prices drop now or before in general it was a revenue loss for the government. I worked the oil fields in Louisiana when I traveled the us and sources were being re discovered then I can only imagine how much now is found maybe the future will be brighter and our government can still make money with less charges from overseas delivery costs.
Old April 18th, 2015, 12:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by aussie oldsmobile 98
$1.37 per litre of unleaded crap...in Sydney Australia ....you guys are lucky !!!
It's relative. We paid that just a year and a half ago. In other parts of the country it was well over 145./L and that's just for regular 87. I understand your comment 100% though. We both know it could be worse depending on where we choose to live. Take a look at this link, but be sitting down. Some of the prices are quite shocking. BTW, there's only about 8¢ difference between the prices listed for Oz and Canada (as I noticed you're using the $AUS as a comparison; $Can is about the same range difference).

Gasoline prices, liter Global Petrol Prices dot com

Gasoline prices, 13-Apr-2015: The average price of gasoline around the world is 1.07 U.S. Dollar per liter. However, there is substantial difference in these prices among countries. As a general rule, richer countries have higher prices while poorer countries and the countries that produce and export oil have significantly lower prices. One notable exception is the U.S. which is an economically advanced country but has low gas prices. The differences in prices across countries are due to the various taxes and subsidies for gasoline.

All countries have access to the same petroleum prices of international markets but then decide to impose different taxes. As a result, the retail price of gasoline is different. In some cases, like Venezuela, the government even subsidizes gasoline and therefore people there pay close to nothing to drive their cars.
Old December 15th, 2021, 03:24 PM
H/o

I realize this is an old thread but after reading it I have to wonder what are gas prices around the country now. I know here in Missouri I just filled up today at $2.84 a gallon.
Old December 15th, 2021, 03:43 PM
Administrator

How much is gas where you live? - Page 7 - ClassicOldsmobile.com