General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Garage finally

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2016, 06:10 PM

one thing is certain,no matter how big they are they always seem not quite big enough. scrappie yours looks like you could live over that garage.
Old April 15th, 2016, 04:20 AM

Scrapple,

Thanks for the kind words on the shop. As for the car, I have been debating doing a build thread on it but it's my first total restoration project. After reading, and greatly appreciating, all of the incredible builds that have been done here over the last couple of years, I'm not sure I can meet the standards, wither of the build or the commentary.

It's actually a pretty cool car and very highly optioned. I looked for exactly this car for a long time and finally found it a couple of years ago. Work, a relocation and the shop build have kept me from doing anything with it until just recently. I tend to go for things that are a little unusual and this car fills the bill. It's a special order Viking blue with a blue interior. Viking blue was pretty common in 71 and 72 but was a Toronado only color in 70. I would have preferred a white interior but I plan to leave it blue.

It's well equipped - PS, PDB, AC, power windows, power seat, console with dual gate, 8 track, light group and inside hood release. The body is pretty much rust free but has some poorly repaired collision damage that will need to be redone. My plan is a full rotisserie resto and I want to do as much of it myself as I can.

These are the only pictures I have on my office computer. If there is any interest, I will post more from home
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
003.JPG (1.77 MB, 16 views)
024.JPG (2.71 MB, 12 views)
059.JPG (2.39 MB, 12 views)
Old April 15th, 2016, 07:08 PM

Man that looks like a nice car. I understand your hesitation completely. Restoring a car like that and to do it right even if you wanted to, had the skiills, had the time and most of all had the money is a huge undertaking. I would estimate to restore that car frame off yourself to spend at least $40,000.00. That figure is you buying all the equipment, parts, services and supplying all the labor and that might even be low. You then have to ask yourself if its worth the investment? Some people say no and some people don't care? If you brought that car to a reputable auto rest shop it would probably be over 100k. I struggle with it all the time. So many people say its cheaper to buy the car done and its mostly true.
Old April 16th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by scrappie
Now thats a garage! What is the size of that?
I made sure nothing was in my garage until I could just look at the big open space for a while to plan the layout.
My wife couldn't wait, and still tries to put all kinds of stuff in there. I just lock the door.
40x100 with 1k square feet on the second level, using attic trusses (10x7x100)