Garage Kept!

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2008, 05:03 PM

Garage Kept!

How often do you guys start up your car or take a drive around in your car for cars that stay most of the time in the garage...id drive it more but dont have plates and its still not finished yet
Old May 29th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Past Administrator

Haven't started the 455 in my '46 project for close to 2 years, not worried.
Old May 29th, 2008, 05:35 AM

My 72 gets out every 3 weeks or so, sometimes for a long 200 mile drive.
She is a lot of fun.

My 86 is a bit neglected and gets out 6 times a year for 25 miles each time. A tank of gas lasts me all year in that one!

The 78 Ford is parked and covered outside for the summer as it has no A/C. It is the daily driver in the winter but gets started and moved whenever the 86 needs to come out as it is parked behind it. The Cad is the daily driver in the summer.

All but the daily driver are equipped with timed chargers on the batteries - works quite well...
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:18 AM
"me somebody" site member

Originally Posted by UCF72Cutlass
How often do you guys start up your car or take a drive around in your car for cars that stay most of the time in the garage...id drive it more but dont have plates and its still not finished yet
Reninds me of a lyric from the Stray Cats' "Built for Speed":

"Get that rod out when its very late..haven't gotten 'round to gettin' license plates..."

Me, I take my car out as often as I can.
Old May 29th, 2008, 03:19 PM

haha i wish i could drive mine everyday. i just wanted to know if letting a car sit for weeks at a time with out starting does any damage. runs and drives shes just not up to weekend driver status yet
Old June 1st, 2008, 05:39 AM
car nut farmer

I always start my cars every month in the winter. If anything it charges the battery, keeps gas in the carbs, and helps keep mice away. In the summer I drive them some.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 07:33 PM
GM Enthusiast

With the job and the two little kids running around the house, I definitely do not get to drive them often enough. My Cutlass has been sitting for about 5 months now as I am rebuilding the rear end, welding metal to fix holes in the trunk floor, detailing, new gas/brake lines/motor etc.

I always start out doing one thing and end up doing too many things! I have another car (63 Riviera) as well and it sits about a month or two at a time between runs and for the last 22 years it hasn't been an issue.
Old June 15th, 2008, 07:18 PM

Now a days, not often enough. Every othger weekend at worst during the summer, and in the winter they get started at least once a month. Gas prices have changed their usage for us, they used to come out every night (alternating cars) and on the weekends so long as it was nice out.

Years ago, before my wagon had any status other than hauler, it'd sit from one job until the next time it was needed. Most of the time 6 months or so, I remember one time it sat for 8 months straight!!
It's not good for it to sit that long. Can it take it? Yes
Should it? No. Thanks to that, the valve guides and seals should be redone, under accel. it burns a little oil after it sits for more than 2 weeks. For safety's sake, don't let it go more than 2 months without running it if you can.
Old June 16th, 2008, 04:06 AM

a/c

Even in the winter when I crank 'em up I turn on the a/c to keep things working.