General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Fuel tank switcharoo on a Delta 88

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2015, 10:54 PM

Fuel tank switcharoo on a Delta 88

Hey folks,

So my car has been parked for just over a year now. I finally got the funds to start working on it again and it'll be a pretty big project. In the first line of questions that will happen, I'd like to know of possible Olds fuel tanks that I could fit there in the back (no trunk cells) without major mods. The engine will not be the same, so evap is out of the question and fuel sending unit is not a concern. I was looking at Tanks Inc and they have a model for the 72 Cutlass http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd387.htm and that's roughly the same shape as the tank I have, but dimensions might play a part in this.

Has anyone tried interchanging tanks? I know the fullsize Pontiacs from the same year are a direct interchange, but I'm looking for something that's reproduced today and at a reasonable price.

TIA,

Dante
Old April 16th, 2015, 06:13 AM

What year Delta 88?
Old April 16th, 2015, 09:59 AM
Rocketeer

I have the lack of availability problem with my Super 88. So I have to spend the time and money to refurbish the old tank or pay $$$ for a custom tank.

If I were willing to accept a smaller tank, I might be interested in some of the plain-jane rectangular tanks. You sacrifice a lot of storage volume when you go from a fitted tank to a smaller rectangular tank, but if you can't get a fitted tank you may not have much choice. I think I remember Tanks Inc having a 17 gallon "universal" rectangular tank that might work for an upright application. Is yours an upright/sideways tank in front of the trunk, or a flat tank beneath it?

I don't like the "fuel cell in the trunk" option either.
Old April 19th, 2015, 10:09 PM

Oh I forgot one of the important details... this is for a 72 Delta 88. AFAIK, only the station wagon has the upright tank, and this is for a sedan - tank under the trunk.