General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

frame off restorations....... sheesh

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2012, 05:04 PM

frame off restorations....... sheesh

let me first state i have done a frame on resto of my 71 monte ss, built a couple nice street rods, but this frame off restoration of my 70 442 vert pace car is really starting to drain me mentally and financially! my other projects were not nearly as by the book as this and i think that has alot to do with it. i am trying to do this as correct as possible but man the details are a real killer. what color is this supposed to be, how much gloss does that part get, should i leave this part bare as the factory did and risk surface rust the first time it gets real humid, ect,ect,ect ugggg. my car is certainly not going to be a 100 point car and that was not my intension as i wanted it to be a driver. but as this project continues i can see i wont be driving it as much as i original planned. it will not be a trailer queen by any meens just nice weather only. i am glad i have my other project {57chevy 2dr sedan} just a old hot rod that has fair paint {at best} that i am throwing together to cruise around and beat the snot out of. i knew starting this frame off was going to be tough from the beginning and at least the rolling chassis is done and most of the bodywork. thanks for listening to my rant!!! AND my hat off to all of you that have finished a complete nut/bolt frame off restoration.

charlie,,,
Old January 23rd, 2012, 05:57 PM

But think of when you're done, you can stand back and say "look what I've done!"
And, if you've kids, they'll brag for the rest of their lives!!
Old January 25th, 2012, 06:45 PM

Frame off Resto.

Charlie, I know what you are saying!! I am doing a frame off on my 70 convertible 442 right now and it is indeed a time consuming project. I have the chassis complete at this time and am starting to work on the body which is on the rotissere. I took it down to the last nut and bolt and built it up from there. For me the key is that I have no time frame so I do it at the speed which lets me enjoy it. If I get a little burned out I just move it to the back burner for a while. You can see my progress in Major builds under My 70 442 Convertible. Good luck with your project!! Dave
Old January 25th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Charlie, Thanks for caring so much about your pace car. Your comments speak well of the desire and dedication that Olds guys seem to breath in the pursuit of perfection and restoration.
I'm shocked......
Shocked I tell you.....
after all that you never posted any pics of your progress???

Sometimes we all have to vent to feel better.
Old January 25th, 2012, 08:22 PM

I did a frame off on a numbers matching '70 Judge I had back in the late '80s - NEVER again! I'm glad I did it and it came out pretty well for me working out of a few different garages doing most of the work but I'll never do it again. WAY too much work/time/money in the long run. Just my $.02
Old January 26th, 2012, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Charlie, Thanks for caring so much about your pace car. Your comments speak well of the desire and dedication that Olds guys seem to breath in the pursuit of perfection and restoration.
I'm shocked......
Shocked I tell you.....
after all that you never posted any pics of your progress???

Sometimes we all have to vent to feel better.
allan, take a look under "major builds/projects section" i have a thread i started awhile back on the build and pics btw there are two 1970 pace car builds going at the same time. my uncle also has a 70 pace car we .............he will be starting a resto on this spring!
Old January 26th, 2012, 03:05 PM

Here's a link to Charlie's project.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...storation.html
Old January 26th, 2012, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jaybird
Here's a link to Charlie's project.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...storation.html
thanks jaybird, i need to learn how to do that, lol
Old January 26th, 2012, 03:41 PM

I had a nightmare restoration with my W30, the shop was horrible and even worse lost parts, over billed etc. Mine wasn't even a frame off as you can eat off of the frame and I wanted something I could drive. I also didn't do a frame off because it was the only car I had at the time and I wanted to enjoy it soon, little did I know a 4-6 month time estimate would turn into 34 months so I had to wait anyway.

I understand your frustration as even though mine is "done" it really isn't. The shop screwed up so many things, and others items still need to be corrected or added on (TCS solenoid, openface alternator rebuilt, etc.). And with a rare car like you have you almost feel like you have to do it right.

Now that you are into it I wouldn't necssarily change directions but do keep in mind the end goal of what you want with the car. Point is it is tough driving any of these cars especially with auction prices headed where they are again. But that doesn't stop me from driving my car - life's too short. And I have kids, its not the bragging its the enjoyment they have with the top down. Heck they still jump in and out of the car (carefully), what can I do not worth ruining their enjoyment of the car. If I wanted it to be a museum piece then I would own a museum.
Old January 26th, 2012, 03:55 PM

perfectly stated! i think my car deserved a frame off. with that said the car will NOT be a garage queen. as long as the whether is nice the car will be driven and enjoyed as it was meant to be. pile the kids in and go get a shake/malt, grab the wife and just go for a cruise. we are just going to let the kids know that they need to show the car the proper respect for what it is. now my 57 chev project {just a old hotrod} that i can hop in and beat on. the kids can climb around inside and not get to worked up about.
Old January 26th, 2012, 03:55 PM

But that doesn't stop me from driving my car - life's too short. And I have kids, its not the bragging its the enjoyment they have with the top down. Heck they still jump in and out of the car (carefully), what can I do not worth ruining their enjoyment of the car. If I wanted it to be a museum piece then I would own a museum.[/QUOTE]

X2!!!!!
Old January 26th, 2012, 07:14 PM

Charlie, I know what you are going through. My W31 went through a frame off and I vowed I would drive it and then when it was complete I was hesitent to drive it after all the hours and money. I had it judged this year and Reno and was pleased with the 975 score. Now that I have done that, I have started driving it. The restoration process was a great learning expeirence but driving it is the real reward. Now I just need to sort out the wheel hop when I floor it!! I think racing will be the next phase of the journey with this car.