General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Frame Cribbing.

Search this Thread

Old November 21st, 2021, 06:50 PM

Question Frame Cribbing.

Since I know this will cross the forum with many style mechanics and back yard restorers. I'm from a carpentry back ground and built these cribbings which I know will support the weight. Built them for working on the undercarriage of my Cutlass. I needed to replace the shifter cable and shift governor, Will be doing a few other items while under there.

So have a quick question, I know houses better then cars in my opinion. With the location of the cribbing, and having the jack set up under the suspension crossmember under the engine. Is the frame and body safe in that position for three days? Started today at 12 pm.

Old November 21st, 2021, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Considering as a kid I used big logs as jack stands under the front suspension, I'll go with yes.
Old November 21st, 2021, 09:14 PM

Lol YUP !
I was more concerned about the locations of them. But since it is also the same points on the frame for floor jack I figured I'm safe .
Was also concerned about the height of the car strain wise. But I'm deffinately going to build some more of them !
Old November 22nd, 2021, 05:25 AM
Rocket Renegade!

You should be okay -- doesn't look like that beautiful blue car has a rotten frame!
Old November 22nd, 2021, 05:47 AM

At least 4 months, so far…
Old November 22nd, 2021, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by ragtopblue
Since I know this will cross the forum with many style mechanics and back yard restorers. I'm from a carpentry back ground and built these cribbings which I know will support the weight. Built them for working on the undercarriage of my Cutlass. I needed to replace the shifter cable and shift governor, Will be doing a few other items while under there.

So have a quick question, I know houses better then cars in my opinion. With the location of the cribbing, and having the jack set up under the suspension crossmember under the engine. Is the frame and body safe in that position for three days? Started today at 12 pm.

If it were me, I would use a double 2 X 4 on the top piece/plate under the frame. Your frame is resting on the weakest part of the "stack". The "corners" are far more rigid.
....Just my two cents worth.
Old November 22nd, 2021, 08:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

The factory lift points are shown in the Chassis Service Manual. The short answer is that any lift or support (jack or jack stands) needs to be under the suspension or the boxed part of the frame. The frame is boxed at the crossmember, just behind the front wheels at the very front of the rockers, and just in front of the rear wheels where the rear lower control arms attach. Any of these locations can be used for jacking or jack stand locations for an infinite period of time. You can also support under the rear axle tubes, under the front lower control arms below the springs, or under the tires as shown above.
Old November 22nd, 2021, 08:09 AM

I’d like to see you add more 2x4 or 2x6. That size is s rap at the job site. I take home bigger PCs toburn in the wine fire pit.
make it so it interlocks together. So yo7 can still and PCs to adjust height.

Old November 22nd, 2021, 09:57 AM
72 Olds CS

this picture looks really cool!! And You may have the best fitting 72 bumper ever!!

most times for simplicity unless i need to take the wheels off i willjust jack the car up and place solid patio block or 2 under the tireslike Dc2x4drvr has done w the cribbing…no danger of hydraulic failure as the tires are essentially resting on the ground.

re: hydraulic failure, it happens!! once i had an old tractor w a bucket. Under load the single hydraulic cylinder broke and the load and bucket came crashing down. No one was hurt, but the potential for injury or death was real. When using a hydraulic jack w jack stands ( or cribbing) i lower the jack to distribute the load between the jack stands and jack.
Old November 22nd, 2021, 02:44 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr

At least 4 months, so far…
Those are the best looking larger diameter wheels I have seen. Do tell wheel, tire brand, and size???
Old November 22nd, 2021, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Those are the best looking larger diameter wheels I have seen. Do tell wheel, tire brand, and size???
Thanks for asking, since my car was delivered with SS1’s, I wanted a larger wheel that mirrored the SS1, so, I used the Rushworth Saltshaker’s with black center accents. They’re 18x8’s and 18x7’s rolling on Nittos, I didn’t want tire interference, I think they’re 285, and 255 on the front, I’m still messing with the drop height, the front is a tad low, and the rear a little high…
Old November 22nd, 2021, 05:43 PM

Thanks RetroRanger.
I just have the jack under the engine cross member for added support for the engine and a little less weight stress on the front frame.
Old November 22nd, 2021, 05:50 PM

Thanks Burd,
I would love to have a job site with extra scrap lumber but not that lucky at this time. All my work is on finished houses. But thank you for the input, I actually got the combined idea from all the houses up on cribbing after Hurricane Sandi at the Jersey shore and Bad Chad Customs on Motortrend TV. He had a car up on similar cribbing. When you don't have a garage or a lift you just gotta roll with it !
Old November 22nd, 2021, 05:53 PM

Thanks Joe-Padavano,
Yes the cribbing is under the jack points on the forward frame. I just have the jack under the engine brace to take some of the stress of the front area.
Old November 22nd, 2021, 05:57 PM

Dc2x4drvr,
Sharp 71 ! Wheels are sharp to ! Nice to see someone else thinking on the same lines ! Here is my baby when it is running properly !

Old November 22nd, 2021, 08:39 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Ya that paint and the color are beautiful. Whoever did the body and squirted the paint did it once or twice before...not their first paint rodeo for sure.
Old November 22nd, 2021, 09:13 PM

This is what I used to set pinion angle. Just a bunch of 2x12 screwed together. I modified my design by changing the top board to a longer piece with larger 2x4 on the ends to prevent the car from tolling
Old November 24th, 2021, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
Thanks for asking, since my car was delivered with SS1’s, I wanted a larger wheel that mirrored the SS1, so, I used the Rushworth Saltshaker’s with black center accents. They’re 18x8’s and 18x7’s rolling on Nittos, I didn’t want tire interference, I think they’re 285, and 255 on the front, I’m still messing with the drop height, the front is a tad low, and the rear a little high…
Very nice wheels on a sharp looking Olds. Looks like Rushforth is using a pic of your car on their website. Good advertising!