General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Found a nice Sears timing light while in Hershey

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2018, 09:16 AM

Found a nice Sears timing light while in Hershey

Old school and so nice. I was in Hershey Pa last week for the annual swap meet and found this nos Sears timing light new in the box and doesn’t appear to have ever been used. What a beauty and it sure brings back memories of borrowing my brothers as a kid. So solid and well constructed. Came in the original box with the instruction manual (didn’t really need that lol). A whole $10. 😎
Old October 17th, 2018, 09:24 AM
Randy C.

Goodness gracious! I still have and use mine and I keep it in the original box. I think I bought it back in the 1980s.

Randy C.

Old October 17th, 2018, 09:26 AM
delete

Its a shame whats happened to Sears & Craftsman over time
Old October 17th, 2018, 09:36 AM

It really is. I still use my Craftsman socket set that I’ve had for the better part of 40 years. This timing light is a keeper though.
Old October 17th, 2018, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by OldsAl
Old school and so nice. I was in Hershey Pa last week for the annual swap meet and found this nos Sears timing light new in the box and doesn’t appear to have ever been used. What a beauty and it sure brings back memories of borrowing my brothers as a kid. So solid and well constructed. Came in the original box with the instruction manual (didn’t really need that lol). A whole $10. 😎
Nice score!😀😀😀
Old October 17th, 2018, 11:01 AM
delete

Not long ago I bought a wrench set from them off the clearance rack. It was their Craftsman Professional series. It was marked down from $100 to $30. Full price sets were available for $95. The only difference was the clearance set was made in the USA and the new ones were China
Old October 17th, 2018, 11:05 AM
Administrator

I still use a similar Sears timing light only it has an advance **** on the back that I bought in the late 70's.
Old October 17th, 2018, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by droptopron
Not long ago I bought a wrench set from them off the clearance rack. It was their Craftsman Professional series. It was marked down from $100 to $30. Full price sets were available for $95. The only difference was the clearance set was made in the USA and the new ones were China
There's nothing like "Made in the USA!"😀
Old October 17th, 2018, 11:17 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I still have a Craftsman dwell/tach that I bought way back in the 70's. It still works great and I have the original box although it has some Gorilla tape on it.
Old October 17th, 2018, 01:36 PM
Jeff

Originally Posted by droptopron
Its a shame whats happened to Sears & Craftsman over time
CNN ran a story about Sears' bankruptcy yesterday. Idiot hedge fund manager bought them and ran the company straight into the ground. I'll miss the brand, the tools, and the appliances.
Old October 17th, 2018, 01:42 PM
72 Olds CS

my craftsman timing light saga

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-w-manual.html

short version;
had sears timing light
bought new fancy timing light
sold sears timing light
new fancy light crapped out
bought a used sears timing light w advance dial
Old October 17th, 2018, 01:56 PM
Oldsdruid

I've started picking up any timing lights, dwell/tachs, engine analyzers or whatever else test equipment I find at auctions and estate sales. So far only one piece didn't work, but since I rarely pay more than $5-10 for the stuff I didn't get hurt. Most of it has been good name brand stuff too.
Old October 17th, 2018, 04:22 PM
CutOvers Olds Parts Guys

haven't gotten a chance to use mine just yet.. Goodwill find
Old October 19th, 2018, 04:11 PM
Forward into the Past

I have all of my dad's and my grandfather's Craftsman hand tools and probably most of their power tools. When I use them, I feel like they're there with me. A few years ago, I got hold of an old Craftsman ratchet that was all frozen up. After my best efforts with WD40 failed, I took it to Sears to invoke their lifetime warranty. I was a bit concerned when I saw their new ratchets were made in China but when I got to the counter, the guy didn't mince words; in fact, I think the only word he said was "okay". Instead of going out on the sales floor and grabbing one of the new ones, he went over to a big rolling toolbox behind the counter, opened a drawer and pulled out a rebuilt one. After testing the action, he rang it up and handed it to me with a receipt showing I'd been charged and refunded one cent on the transaction as their way of accounting for it. The best part was the rebuilt ratchet was made in USA. As far as I'm concerned, that's better than new.
Old October 19th, 2018, 04:37 PM

Got one just like that with the advance **** that I bought at least 20 years ago. Along with a lot other stuff it's going to 'Helping hands" in a few weeks.
Old October 19th, 2018, 05:57 PM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by Human
I have all of my dad's and my grandfather's Craftsman hand tools and probably most of their power tools. When I use them, I feel like they're there with me. A few years ago, I got hold of an old Craftsman ratchet that was all frozen up. After my best efforts with WD40 failed, I took it to Sears to invoke their lifetime warranty. I was a bit concerned when I saw their new ratchets were made in China but when I got to the counter, the guy didn't mince words; in fact, I think the only word he said was "okay". Instead of going out on the sales floor and grabbing one of the new ones, he went over to a big rolling toolbox behind the counter, opened a drawer and pulled out a rebuilt one. After testing the action, he rang it up and handed it to me with a receipt showing I'd been charged and refunded one cent on the transaction as their way of accounting for it. The best part was the rebuilt ratchet was made in USA. As far as I'm concerned, that's better than new.

Interesting I have a locked up 1/2 inch drive made in usa V series that i havnet brought back cuz i didnt want china junk
Old October 19th, 2018, 08:03 PM

Sears sold Craftsman to Stanley/Black&Decker
Old October 19th, 2018, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Interesting I have a locked up 1/2 inch drive made in usa V series that i havnet brought back cuz i didnt want china junk

Many of the USA made CRAFTSMAN ratchet rebuild kits are still available from sears parts and on Ebay..... If all you are offered is a chinese replacement tool in exchange at Sears and you decline it. Sometimes they will let you pick out which one you want out of the rebuilt ones.

Also, I remember spending $65 at the time on a Craftsman dial-back timing light when I was 14 years old..... I just turned 40 about 2 weeks ago, and we still have that timing light and it works awesome! It came along with my parents when I moved them up to Colorado near us about a year ago.

all of my main tools are made in USA craftsman sets bought in the mid-90's and low 2000's

Last edited by Battenrunner; October 19th, 2018 at 09:51 PM.