General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Five Guys Burgers.....Yeech

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2010, 11:10 PM

I too thought White Castles originated in Illinois but Wiki says Wichita, Kansas. I'm in Chicago and they've been here forever, they're known as "sliders" here. I believe this is because they sort of slide through your digestive system. Eaten after many beers, the results can be lethal. ;-) (Not that I would know this personally...) My wife is irregular and when she's stopped up, there's nothing like a bag of sliders and Heineken or two to get her going again. I'll stop here as this is turning into TMI.....
Old October 4th, 2010, 11:19 PM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by Vern H
I too thought White Castles originated in Illinois but Wiki says Wichita, Kansas. I'm in Chicago and they've been here forever, they're known as "sliders" here. I believe this is because they sort of slide through your digestive system. Eaten after many beers, the results can be lethal. ;-) (Not that I would know this personally...) My wife is irregular and when she's stopped up, there's nothing like a bag of sliders and Heineken or two to get her going again. I'll stop here as this is turning into TMI.....

Too late .
Old October 5th, 2010, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by mmurphy77
Can't get into Chick-fil-a, sorry. Who the hell puts pickles on a Chicken Sandwich!!
Me Just like I put pickles in Chicken salad.

You and Bluevista must have some kinda pickle problem
Old October 5th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Past Administrator

Here's a new twist which I may have mentioned here before in another thread someplace. A place called the "Wheel Inn" because originally it was on a corner and round so the cars parked around it made it look like a wheel sell a Goober Burger. The nickname for peanuts are goober peas, they put peanut butter on the burger just before it comes off the grill so it gets all melted. Very different and either you love it or hate it.
Old October 5th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Cutlass Lover

I like pickles on my chicken sandwich too. McDonalds puts them on theirs. I first had a White Castle in Michigan back in the 80's. I thought they were so neat - little square burgers, lol. We didn't have them around here at that time. Now all the places like Applebys and Chilis have the "sliders", and they sell the little buns in the stores now if ya want to make your own at home.

Colonel.... I like the sig pic!! Just wish I could see more of the car, lol!! Sorry, guys!
Old October 5th, 2010, 07:55 AM

Yeah Olds Luvr, Rusty's in Cashmere is a great place. The Triple Rusty burger is great and they fill the bag with fries. Tiny place sure cranks out a lot of burgers. A must stop when cruising around the area.
Old October 5th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Pat, So why dont we go head over now, I'm gettin hungry
Old October 5th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Me Just like I put pickles in Chicken salad.

You and Bluevista must have some kinda pickle problem
Mmmm, pickles...

Pickles in the chicken salad, and the tuna and the ham salad. Sweet or dill, either is good. A little chopped celery adds to them too.

My Mama was an excellent cook, but she used to have to make her chicken salad with basically nothing but mayonnaise and celery seed because that was the only way my daddy would eat it- because that was the way my Grandma Williamson made it. Bland and almost tasteless. And it had to be Duke's mayonnaise. He wouldn't eat it if it was made with any other brand.

But when she had the chance to make it to suit herself and spiced it up a little, boy howdy was it good!

And murphy- you can always order it without the pickles! I do that all the time with tomatoes.
Old October 5th, 2010, 09:01 AM

Wow,
Never knew 5 guys went nationwide on us. 5 Guys was started by a guy right here in good ole Arlington Va. Im surprised none of the other NOVA folks chipped in lol. When they 1st started it was a great spot. Only had 2 locations, both less than 5 mins from my house. There was a bakery next door (Brennan's Bakery I think?) that had been there for like 25 years and was a local staple. That was part of their hook, burgers made from fresh meat, served on buns baked daily right next door at Brennan's. Great marketing.

I think the original owners sold it, then the new owners started franchising. Once they started franchising the quality went to hell and I didnt know the people working there anymore so I stopped going. Plus the price was too high.
Old October 5th, 2010, 09:17 AM

Since we're on the subject

If you're a native Atlantan [like moi] Ya grew up eating at the worlds largest drive-in. I think the first piece of solid food I had was mom stuffing a Varsity French fry in my mouth to shut me up.

They serve Two miles of hot dogs, a ton of onions, 2500 pounds of potatoes, 5000 fried pies and 300 gallons of chili are made from scratch daily.

Don't stutter when the guy behind the counter says, "What'll have"

Just say, "2 rings, 1 fry, a chili cheeese steak, a large PC, and a peach pie"

http://www.thevarsity.com/
Old October 5th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
If you're a native Atlantan [like moi] Ya grew up eating at the worlds largest drive-in. I think the first piece of solid food I had was mom stuffing a Varsity French fry in my mouth to shut me up.

They serve Two miles of hot dogs, a ton of onions, 2500 pounds of potatoes, 5000 fried pies and 300 gallons of chili are made from scratch daily.

Don't stutter when the guy behind the counter says, "What'll have"

Just say, "2 rings, 1 fry, a chili cheeese steak, a large PC, and a peach pie"

http://www.thevarsity.com/
Were the ribs so big they would flip the car over on it's side if the waitress hung the tray on the door? :

ribs1.jpg

I'm going to Five Guys to find out for myself, the places popped up overnight all over the place around here.
Rosie O'D. playing Betty Rubble in the Flintstones movie was the worst casting in cinema history, she should of been Fred's crane at the rock quarry.
Old October 5th, 2010, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Were the ribs so big they would flip the car over on it's side if the waitress hung the tray on the door? :

I'm going to Five Guys to find out for myself, the places popped up overnight all over the place around here.
Rosie O'D. playing Betty Rubble in the Flintstones movie was the worst casting in cinema history, she should of been Fred's crane at the rock quarry.
Man now your insulting cranes, now every crane in the country will hide its boom in shame
Old October 5th, 2010, 08:10 PM
...should get a life....

What's wrong with Rosie O'Donnell?
Old October 6th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Cutlass Lover

Oh God, Colonel!!!!!!
Old October 6th, 2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Actually Blue,

They had numbered car hops not waitresses. Nipsey Russell worked there for a time.

They'd hop on your rear fender and ride to where you parked, put a numbered card on your window. Take your order and bring it to ya.

When you blinked your ligths the guy in the tower would call out on the loud speaker.

"# 44 Your blue Oldsmobile needs their tray picked up on upper deck." [It's a 2 story parking lot.

Naturally, In high school we always wanted to get car hop # 69
Old October 6th, 2010, 04:46 PM

I can see where this thread is going.............................
Old October 7th, 2010, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
It's like everything else that's franchised. Some are better than others. The two Five Guys I've eaten at (one in Raleighwood BTW) were pretty good but a little expensive compared to, say McDonald's or Wendy's but about on a par with Arby's.

As far as fast food, I probably see the greatest difference between stores at Wendy's. I like the food and the way they make it, but some of the worst service has been at Wendy's. One in a town about 30 miles from here absolutely cannot get my order right, ever. One of the three here has trouble with it too.

I think the worst ever was a Burger King in Front Royal VA last year, when I ordered a standard chicken sandwich and waited almost twenty minutes for it while two of the counter help argued about whose job something was, in full view of the people waiting to order. I startled the whole restaurant when I laid the teenage shift manager out in front of a restaurant full of people. Told him he needed to straighten those two out, now, and if he couldn't do it, that 800 number on the wall could. I probably was not a very popular person there, because he told one of them to punch out and call for her schedule the next day and put the other one on trash duty. He apologized, fixed my food himself, refunded my money and threw in a dessert, so I couldn't grumble about that. The point is I should never have had to raise my voice to get a simple food order completed.

Thanks you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Old October 15th, 2010, 12:39 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIS2r...eature=related
Old October 15th, 2010, 08:52 PM
...should get a life....

There's something deliciously wrong about that Jamesbo