General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

First "trip" In the Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2014, 08:57 PM

First "trip" In the Cutlass

So I bought this thing a couple of months ago. Started working on the bugs. 1st was u joints... Squeaking and honestly about to let go. Then those original 46 yr old bushings and springs the second source of squeaks. Ball joints and sway bar bushings and shocks. Rest of front end good. Wheel bearings and a new spindle nut for the stripped one. Gas hose sucking air.... No fuel filter. Pertonix ordered day before coil went south. Front end alignment... Adjust choke so it actually works Adjust carb. Repair vacuum leak. Snug up trans pan bolts to stop leak. Oil and filters. Hmmmm No t-stat.. install new one. replace only old coolant hose. Repair wire to gas gauge they had hooked directly to tag light. Convertibe top cylinders..... 2 speakers to replace the 30 yr old ones in kick panels. Lots of elbow grease on 28 yr old paint to get it one color again.Black out grill and pseudo strips on the side. Result.. 400 mile round trip from Tulsa to Talimena Drive. Stop by two car shows. 17.8 mies to the gallon. Purred like a kitten. Great day had by all. Gotta love a classic.

Last edited by 68_convert; October 25th, 2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old October 25th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Randy C.

Nice work! Your diligence shows through nicely!

Randy C.
'68 4-4-2 convertible
'69 4-4-2 convertible (work in slow progress)
'71 Corvette coupe base engine auto
Old October 25th, 2014, 09:07 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Very nice. Pretty car, pretty lady and a nice day with the top down. What a great combination. Congrats on your first outing.
Old October 25th, 2014, 09:15 PM

Good work.
If more people would go through the process of getting things right first,
there would be fewer people frustrated with their old cars.
Enjoy the fruits of your labor and patience.
Old October 26th, 2014, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by 68_convert
So I bought this thing a couple of months ago. Started working on the bugs. 1st was u joints... Squeaking and honestly about to let go. Then those original 46 yr old bushings and springs the second source of squeaks. Ball joints and sway bar bushings and shocks. Rest of front end good. Wheel bearings and a new spindle nut for the stripped one. Gas hose sucking air.... No fuel filter. Pertonix ordered day before coil went south. Front end alignment... Adjust choke so it actually works Adjust carb. Repair vacuum leak. Snug up trans pan bolts to stop leak. Oil and filters. Hmmmm No t-stat.. install new one. replace only old coolant hose. Repair wire to gas gauge they had hooked directly to tag light. Convertibe top cylinders..... 2 speakers to replace the 30 yr old ones in kick panels. Lots of elbow grease on 28 yr old paint to get it one color again.Black out grill and pseudo strips on the side. Result.. 400 mile round trip from Tulsa to Talimena Drive. Stop by two car shows. 17.8 mies to the gallon. Purred like a kitten. Great day had by all. Gotta love a classic.

Looks great bro, glad she treated you well on the trip.
Old October 26th, 2014, 05:05 PM

Makes it all worth it, doesn't it? Good job! Continue to enjoy it!
Old October 26th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Lookin good!

Also, note the 18mpg, which is better than most modern trucks and SUVs, and about the same as some recent fullsize cars, whenever someone makes a "gas hog" comment.

- Eric
Old October 26th, 2014, 06:50 PM

Agree Eric... !8.8 is the best I have ever gotten in my truck. Closer to 15 in town. I do this stuff for a living but am completely amazed at the horrible work done on this car by other so called professionals. The previous owner was a woman. Her husband was not in the least bit mechanically inclined. She trusted whatever shop she used. She didn't get what she paid for. She owned this for 27 years and it was taken care of by her grandfather until he passed. That's when I guess it started going down hill. Granted nothing major was screwed up and most of it was age related. It hesitated when driven. Cold start was a pain. The fuel filter gone and a screen stuck in the housing was a little puzzleing. But all these little things probably was part of the reason she sold it. I promised her it would be well taken care of. I did not lie.
Old October 27th, 2014, 01:41 AM

Look at all those trees!! Dozens of them...and a nice car to boot.