General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Fire at Advanced Plating in TN

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2018, 07:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Fire at Advanced Plating in TN

Apparently a total loss. They were certainly one of the top plating companies around.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/cr...vanced-plating
Old August 31st, 2018, 08:36 AM

Bummer, hopefully they can get back up and running before too long.
Old August 31st, 2018, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Bummer, hopefully they can get back up and running before too long.
A pipe dream, I think.

Even if they did decide to rebuild, it would likely be a year before they're back in business. But my guess is that this business is finished for good. How many times did the article mention that the building stored hazardous chemicals? They don't mention, but I'm sure will be investigated, is HOW were those chemicals stored, and were they in compliance with regulations. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that, with the building as old as it was (66 years), and the business being there for as long as it was (33 years), there were many current regulations that were not being followed for one reason or another, perhaps simply because they were grandfathered in and didn't have to comply with some of the newer regulations, or didn't have to comply with them to the letter. I don't know. But I would also guess that the cost of building a new facility that would be in compliance with current EPA and other regulations would be prohibitive and likely well beyond whatever insurance coverage they had would provide.

Hasn't it been true that more and more chrome-plating and such-type businesses have been going out of business in recent years than have been entering the business precisely because of the cost of following regulations?
Old August 31st, 2018, 09:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

It's kind of hard to run a plating shop WITHOUT "hazardous chemicals". I read that more as uninformed alarmist reporting than anything else, but yes, I suspect there was grandfathering that will be reconsidered as part of a rebuild.
Old August 31st, 2018, 09:35 AM

I didn't say they should have or could have run the business without hazardous chemicals. Lots of businesses use hazardous chemicals. What I'm saying is that the presence of hazardous chemicals and how they were stored and used will be thoroughly investigated, and it may, because of the age of the building and the length of time the business had been located there, come out that not all current regulations were followed. The article mentions that the fire department had to restrict water usage on the fire "to reduce runoff." That's not good. Is that the norm? Shouldn't hazardous chemicals be stored in such a way that, if they're not actually on fire themselves, their presence doesn't hinder the fighting of a fire elsewhere on the site? Were the chemicals stored properly? Just thinking out loud about this.
Old August 31st, 2018, 09:49 AM

I feel bad for all the irreplaceable chrome and stainless that would have been lost. I believe this is the company Dennis Gage featured on TV that we’re the best in the biz and would restore even lost cause trim.
Old August 31st, 2018, 09:53 AM
same but different

Is this not the same company that got flooded a few years back? regardless, its quite the kick in the pants.
Old August 31st, 2018, 03:25 PM

And don't forget the wonderful people at the EPA .I'm sure they would love to see another chrome plating shop disappear.
Old August 31st, 2018, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by don71
Is this not the same company that got flooded a few years back? regardless, its quite the kick in the pants.
Are you referring to this? From June 2017.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...nty/369772001/
Old August 31st, 2018, 04:08 PM

Years ago I had my bumpers at a local shop. I live in No cal, and no chrome plating shops are allowed I bay area, they send them to their shop in LA. They had a complete fire loss. I was lucky, mine were shipped the day before, so, finely got mine back. They told me they had to replace many bumpers, lucky most were not old ones like mine, and were able to find replacement. I was lucky.
Old September 1st, 2018, 12:32 PM

I hope they have good insurance and coverage for lost income to help get them by until they can rebuild or relocate
Old September 1st, 2018, 07:08 PM

There was a large bumper stamping/chroming plant locally for decades. Rockwell plant in Newton Falls, OH. They made bumpers for all the car companies. They closed the plant around 1979. I've always listened to local talk radio and because of all the large steel mills and heavy manufacturing the topic use to be the EPA. For a couple of decades a chemical salesman use to call in and talk about all the regulations. That Rockwell plant was one of his large customers. He said the production moved to Tennessee for a few years then to Texas. Each time the nitpicking of the EPA caused the moves. Finally they moved to Mexico, zero regulations, he said they dumped the waste right in the river. He said he was still selling them the same chemicals. I haven't heard him on the radio for 15 years, hopefully the chemicals didn't catch up to him.
Old September 2nd, 2018, 07:04 AM

Too early to know, but I'd hope for some sort of recovery. I've been wanting to make a trip there with a batch. They are the best!