General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Finally, a seller who gets "numbers matching"

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2016, 02:19 PM

Here is that same area of photo 18. I took a rag and cleaned it. The red oxide primer is still under the dirt. If I wanted to paint the bottom of this car, all I would have to do is sand and paint. But that would be crazy.

Last edited by oaklyss; March 24th, 2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old March 25th, 2016, 12:36 AM

The photo you posted is not the same one I was referring to. The one you posted I have no issue with. It shows just how nice your car is and that it really does not need to be touched. The one I was referring to is from the ebay ad. It is the 18th photo in, the top left corner. I would have no problem buying your car, I am only pointing out the difficulty in a unrestored car having no rust.
Old March 25th, 2016, 07:13 AM

This is the same AREA as in photo 18, but expanded to the top left. See the body plug on the right, same one you see in 18. If there is a different area I can show, show the pic or describe better because you said this: " But the under side rear in photo 18, in the top left of the photo, the rust issue is more substantive than just surface. It is pitted enough to warrant more than just sanding to repair. We can get into semantics and "splitting hairs", and it is fairly inconsequential but negates rust free stature."
In a photo you may not be seeing it correctly, the lighting, whatever. But to say what you said with out seeing the car, on a public forum, that effects my reputation and my word, needs to be addressed. By all means, I will show any area anyone wants to see, there are NONE that needs rust repair or has any Rot whatsoever. It is not unusual to have a rust free car here in California. This one is just better then most.
Old March 25th, 2016, 08:54 AM

I have owned about 3-400 cars and probably 70 of them were Oldsmobiles. I have lived on both sides of the country, and in the Northwest and in California.
Living in Oregon most of my life I have been blessed with some great cars over the years. The western part of Oregon has allot of rain. Most people who think of Oregon think of that part due to it having the least amount of land but most amount of people. The rest of the state is desert and people are usually very surprised to learn that. I also lived a good portion of my life in New York. Now we can talk about rust and most know that is a rusty place for cars. The surprise is two other areas of the country that many might not expect. Seattle is very bad for rust. Being on the sound it has salt water and salt air constantly. So, it is horrible on cars. The other areas are can you guess? California! Yes the beloved California. I lived in San Diego for a few years back in my Navy days, and the cars that lived their life there had rust issues. Same reason as Seattle. I learned quick that cars that came from the coastal towns of California had rust issues. Vinyl top cars had it bad and they had the typical rust on the quarter panel bottoms and fender bottoms. These may not be as bad as the "rust belt" salt using states but there is still rust. The best cars I learned for being as rust free as possible do not come from California, they come from the high deserts of: Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico and some of Utah.

We drive older cars not just the Oldsmobiles we have. I have two mid 90's Suburbans a mid 90's turbo Buick and a 72 El Camino. None of those have rust. But, I also live where the humidity is usually below 30%. Yes all year. That has it issues as well. but, it is great for cars.

Thought I would give my input.

On numbers matching cars. If the car has the original "born with" engine and transmission, it can be made to be a numbers matching car. Otherwise it is never going to be. We all have to understand these are 45 plus year old cars we are dealing with. They were not made to be saved, restored, show pieced or anything like that. They were made to sell to customers to drive. All the money in the world can not buy time.

Just some thoughts

I also believe there is a place for most of these opinions on this. Yes Joe you can be ****. But, we count on your wisdom and view to keep us in line. So, thanks for that.

Larry
Old March 26th, 2016, 01:17 AM

I'm proud to say that I am also a bit **** and I judge at several California Concours. I am also **** about people using words and grammar incorrectly, but I do not have a problem with this seller labeling his car as rust free.

If he didn't call his car rust free, buyers could infer that it might have some rust, especially since the term is over-used. Call it an arms race of word use.

It would almost be a shame to "de-rust" the rust free car and paint it if the new buyer ever did a full restoration, since nothing proves rust-free like a little bit of rust, if you understand my drift ;-)...

Tom