General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

fiber glass vs metal fenders

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2009, 10:35 PM

fiber glass vs metal fenders

Im starting my project and I was wondering what everyone thought about the fiber glass fenders vs metal fenders, also I would like to know if anybody has used paddoc products or B.A.P products.
Old March 26th, 2009, 04:22 AM

I've heard that fiberglass reproduction fenders for the Cutlass don't fit very well. Not a personal experience though.
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
I've heard that fiberglass reproduction fenders for the Cutlass don't fit very well. Not a personal experience though.
Fiberglass parts rarely fit well. They are usually designed for racing applications, where light weight is more important than cosmetics.
Old March 26th, 2009, 01:01 PM

Glass parts suck

I prefer to go all steel for personal reasons even on a race car. But I kinda had to go glass on the hood of my 67 firebird as my stock 400 hood would not clear the Victor manifold, 4500 series carb and NOS system I have with a air cleaner installed. I went glass and I would bet there are over 40 hours in it to make it look good on the car. I can see where its not to par but most think it looks great. Same thing every time I bought glass parts. The chev guys have it good because the are manufacturers out there that make some nice Steele hoods and fenders with good dies.

Last edited by trdbrd; March 26th, 2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: error
Old March 26th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Captain of my ship

fenders

One more thing is that the car holds it's value more with the metal fenders. If it's gonna be a keeper for a while I would go with the metal.
Old March 26th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Benny Blanco
...also I would like to know if anybody has used... B.A.P products.
Read this.

I think they are the same company.
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Read this.

I think they are the same company.
You're right on Dan. BAP is Brothers Automotive Products. I would steer well clear of them. Got screwed twice by them, never again. I don't mind putting this in print because they can't touch me for their part on poor performance on a contract.

Fibreglass fenders? Going to take you a fair bit to contour the fit, install mounting brackets and do the cutouts for the side marker lights. IMO far better to go metal. Just coat the inside of the fenders with a really good rust inhibitor and pay special attention to the lower gussets and drain areas. Goodmark fenders are a good choice, but if you're looking for a bargain, check evilbay. Sometimes theres good shipping deals to be had. Ask b4 you buy.
Old March 27th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Captain of my ship

Exclamation rust inhibitor

Originally Posted by Allan R
You're right on Dan. BAP is Brothers Automotive Products. I would steer well clear of them. Got screwed twice by them, never again. I don't mind putting this in print because they can't touch me for their part on poor performance on a contract.

Fibreglass fenders? Going to take you a fair bit to contour the fit, install mounting brackets and do the cutouts for the side marker lights. IMO far better to go metal. Just coat the inside of the fenders with a really good rust inhibitor and pay special attention to the lower gussets and drain areas. Goodmark fenders are a good choice, but if you're looking for a bargain, check evilbay. Sometimes theres good shipping deals to be had. Ask b4 you buy.
If you are going to coat the inside with a good rust inhibitor stay away from any coating that is rubberized or forms a top coat of it's own and can separate from the metal but still hold together and look just fine. The problem with these is that they tend to trap moisture between coating and metal causing rust you can't see. I use a good rust primer and paint then coat with fluid film afterwards cause it inhibits water and you can easily see when it starts wearing off and needs to be added again. The rubberized or ashpalt coatings are not good if you live in an area where you have temp fluctuations between day vs night and summer to winter.
Old March 27th, 2009, 05:25 AM

I don;t know this from personal experience, but have heard this - supposedly you cannot put a stock steel hood on fiberglass fenders as they do not hold the hinges and weight and I think some fiberglass fenders don't even have provisions for hood hinges - i.e. you need to use a lift off fiberglass hood that is pinned on 4 corners.

Anyway, I would go with steel fenders unless you are drag racing or something.
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:42 AM

Thanks guys for your input really helps out ,were can I find a nice set of fenders for my build ,also it is a 72 S.