General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Fan and shroud on 1970 442

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2023, 02:25 PM

Fan and shroud on 1970 442

A few questions here please..Anybody have pics or info of non ac 1970 cars showing how deep the fan goes into the shroud along with how far the fan actually is from the radiator? I ask because everything I have read is the fan should be roughly an inch from the fan tips to the radiator along with the fan should be half in the shroud and half way out for maximum air volume.
On my 1970 car, non ac it has the 3 core radiator and the second owner finagled a shroud on by securing bolts on the bottom side of a non shroud top plate. The fan sits roughly two inches inside the shroud, the fan tips are roughly 1.5 on top from radiator and the bottom is around 3 inches.. The shroud on the bottom and top almost touch the fan tips on the side of the shroud. You got a good 2 1/2 inches so I don’t know if it’s an incorrect shroud or what? However the radiator sits a little bit angled in there it’s a replacement brass radiator, so I’m just trying to get maximum cooling on this thing as in Florida in the summer the car driving down the road still at 205, at idle will slowly climb to 225.. trying to get to a 190 - 195 on cruising and 205-210 at stop light idle..
I am thinking of trying a 7 blade 19” fan to see if that helps..Any suggestions or photos of factory 70 cars?
Old March 30th, 2023, 02:36 PM

As you can see in first pic the gap is huge at top of radiator to the core support, the fan is deep into the shroud and the radiator that is a brass replacement actually sits a bit angled..I am thinking all this is causing some flow issues as when thermostat engages the top radiator hose is maybe 5 degrees hotter than the lower hose..
Old March 30th, 2023, 03:54 PM

Also did the 70 442 w30 with 3.42 gears and a 3 core radiator with no shroud use a clutch fan or a fixed blade fan?
Old March 30th, 2023, 04:18 PM

70 442 W-30 with 3.42 gear had the fan clutch and no shroud.

Don W
Old March 30th, 2023, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Shifty Sidney
70 442 W-30 with 3.42 gear had the fan clutch and no shroud.

Don W
how well does it cool with no shroud?
Old March 30th, 2023, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Andy
when thermostat engages the top radiator hose is maybe 5 degrees hotter than the lower hose..
In a heat exchanger, shouldn't the output be cooler than the input?
Or are you saying the delta T is not large enough?
Old March 30th, 2023, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
In a heat exchanger, shouldn't the output be cooler than the input?
Or are you saying the delta T is not large enough?
The lower hose should be cycling cooler water back into the engine, is that what your saying? However its not doing it very efficiently

Last edited by Andy; March 31st, 2023 at 05:04 AM.
Old March 30th, 2023, 07:37 PM

I would think it would cool sufficiently since that is the way the factory designed it. I believe the radiator sitting at a slight angle is correct.
If it were my car I would return everything as stock and go from there. There are many factors that can cause overheating. From your description I would start with the fan clutch. Good luck.

Don W
Old March 31st, 2023, 05:07 AM

I would think it would cool sufficiently since that is the way the factory designed it. I believe the radiator sitting at a slight angle is correct.
If it were my car I would return everything as stock and go from there. There are many factors that can cause overheating. From your description I would start with the fan clutch. Good luck.

Don W
Thanks, fan clutch new, radiator new. Water pump and thermostat new...I may remove shroud and see how it acts without-since that was factory..maybe the way the fan is sitting so deep into the shroud is debilitating air flow..
Old March 31st, 2023, 06:00 AM
Gary

...maybe the way the fan is sitting so deep into the shroud is debilitating air flow…
Andy, when the factory engineers designed these systems, they found that for maximum airflow, the fan blades needed to be centered on the edge of the shroud opening (fan would be half-in the shroud and half-out of the shroud).

Good luck.

Gary
Old March 31st, 2023, 06:03 AM

Interesting the factory didn’t use a shroud on all 455’s and offered so many combinations that make up the cooling system in 70. Have noticed most manufacturers have the fan blades sit half inside and the other half out of the fan like you mentioned. Do you have the correct water pump and pulleys that were used with a clutch fan and shroud?

Dustin
Old March 31st, 2023, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Post70
Interesting the factory didn’t use a shroud on all 455’s and offered so many combinations that make up the cooling system in 70. Have noticed most manufacturers have the fan blades sit half inside and the other half out of the fan like you mentioned. Do you have the correct water pump and pulleys that were used with a clutch fan and shroud?

Dustin
Dustin,
I have the 404847 waterpump, got it from Vader, he said it was correct.. does anyone know if the HD cooling v2 waterpump was different? As for the pulleys That shouldn’t make any difference on a non ac car and a non ac car with HD cooling like the 3.91 geared cars that got HD..
I am looking to see if anyone with a 70 car has a pic of there fan and how deep it goes into the shroud.. I’m starting to think that the top plate with the heavy duty cooling positions that shroud differently than my factory three-core top plate that’s not really supposed to have a shroud..

Last edited by Andy; March 31st, 2023 at 09:47 AM.
Old April 1st, 2023, 05:55 PM

Don W
I am starting to think the newer fan clutch may be the problem, i certainly don’t here or feel a sudden rush of air of roar like the fan clutch is kicking on..Did 455 car’s use the heavy duty fan clutch?
Old April 1st, 2023, 06:58 PM

Have you determined the actual running temperature? You will find the 68 up bbo engines run @ a higher temperature than the early bbo.
Old April 1st, 2023, 08:59 PM

For a shorter fan clutch checkout: Hayden part number 2947

Is your water pump 5.6" or 6" variety? (sorry I don't know the dimension on a 404847 water pump)
Old April 2nd, 2023, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
Have you determined the actual running temperature? You will find the 68 up bbo engines run @ a higher temperature than the early bbo.
Running temp is around 195-205, idling it goes to 230, may go higher but I shut it off..people talk about hearing the fan clutch kick in I don’t feel or hear that when idling and warming up.. its a new fan clutch..as stated fan sets deep into the shroud as my car was factory no shroud and the second owner made a shroud work with the 3 core top plate. Usually the top hose will be at least 15-20 degrees hotter than bottom hose showing coolant is actually getting cooled off running thru the radiator..mine may have a 7-10 degree difference..radiator new brass 3 core..thinking about trying a 7 blade fan to see if that will help at idle as well as maybe try a heavy duty clutch fan so it spins at lower temps..Thats all I can figure..if that doesn’t work maybe go to a 2 core be cool big aluminum radiator..hate to keep throwing money at this
Old April 2nd, 2023, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by v8al
For a shorter fan clutch checkout: Hayden part number 2947

Is your water pump 5.6" or 6" variety? (sorry I don't know the dimension on a 404847 water pump)
the low profile clutch fan I believe would hit the front power steering nose bolt..
Old April 2nd, 2023, 07:54 AM

I think you have the wrong fan. Shroud looks right.
Old April 2nd, 2023, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
I think you have the wrong fan. Shroud looks right.
are you saying wrong 6 blade fan or wrong fan clutch?
Old April 2nd, 2023, 08:01 AM

Also, fan will help your idle. If you can keep it at idle cooler than going down the road, the fan system is working. Going down the highway hot is coolant flow, not airflow, as the wind is more than your fan will give it. In other words, I think you have a large problem (fan) and a small problem (slightly underperforming radiator.). Please determine if that is original radiator. It could be boiled or recored as well as fan work.

I put a NOS BBC 3 row in my 72 Monte Carlo with 350 SBC last summer. Car would run very hot on the road, and I bandaid'ed it with a 160 deg superstat about ten years ago. Now, with awesome radiator and 185 superstat, it sits right there all day, even when I had an intake bolt leak keeping it from pressurizing (which is now also fixed.) Point being, it cooled down well at idle, so my fan and shroud and clutch were ok. 210 on the road in FL is ok, but not great. Heating up at idle is the more critical, as you have noted.
Old April 2nd, 2023, 08:06 AM

are you saying wrong 6 blade fan or wrong fan clutch?
Maybe both. I think you should check your part numbers. Please forgive the crappy pictures, but this is the closest I have of photos already taken of my H/O with 455, 4 row, shroud, clutch, and fan.

Old April 2nd, 2023, 08:08 AM

Also, fan will help your idle. If you can keep it at idle cooler than going down the road, the fan system is working. Going down the highway hot is coolant flow, not airflow, as the wind is more than your fan will give it. In other words, I think you have a large problem (fan) and a small problem (slightly underperforming radiator.). Please determine if that is original radiator. It could be boiled or recored as well as fan work.

I put a NOS BBC 3 row in my 72 Monte Carlo with 350 SBC last summer. Car would run very hot on the road, and I bandaid'ed it with a 160 deg superstat about ten years ago. Now, with awesome radiator and 185 superstat, it sits right there all day, even when I had an intake bolt leak keeping it from pressurizing (which is now also fixed.) Point being, it cooled down well at idle, so my fan and shroud and clutch were ok. 210 on the road in FL is ok, but not great. Heating up at idle is the more critical, as you have noted.
Its a new brass 3 core radiator..everything I know about fans and shrouds says this fan is setting way to deep into the shroud not maximizing air flow, as stated the top plate is a non shroud plate thats been modified to attach a shroud..Thinking on trying a 4 core top plate that came factory with heavy duty cooling and shroud..before I had the original block put back in the car I was using the factory temp guage and it always showed in the middle of high low on guage..I just put the original block with a rebuild back in and hooked up a new aftermarket guage to verify temps..Hell it may have ran that warm the whole time and I didn’t know it..just want to get it right..
Old April 2nd, 2023, 03:26 PM

Maybe both. I think you should check your part numbers. Please forgive the crappy pictures, but this is the closest I have of photos already taken of my H/O with 455, 4 row, shroud, clutch, and fan.

Thank you for the pics..i will post once I figure it out..I am going to start at the beginning, remove the shroud, check the part number on the fan, check and see if the clutch fan is a heavy duty or what and then see what happens with no shroud and troubleshoot from there. Start at the beginning and take one fix at a time. Much appreciated

Old April 2nd, 2023, 03:46 PM

the low profile clutch fan I believe would hit the front power steering nose bolt..
I run that fan clutch on my 70 442 and it has 3/4" clearance between the fan blade and the power steering pulley bolt. This is with a 6" water pump.
Old April 4th, 2023, 07:04 AM

My fan rear edge seems to be even with the rear edge of shroud. 1970 442 with 4-core rad. HD cooling

Old April 4th, 2023, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by scrappie
My fan rear edge seems to be even with the rear edge of shroud. 1970 442 with 4-core rad. HD cooling

Scrap…Which water pump 404847? and what model clutch fan are you using please?

Old April 4th, 2023, 06:11 PM

Just checked the alignment from the rear shroud vs rear blade on my 70-442 HD Cooling 4 row. Seems identical to Scrappies alignment, fwiw.
Old April 4th, 2023, 06:41 PM

Yes 404847 and a rebuilt stock clutch fan. Im pretty sure this was the one.

Old April 4th, 2023, 06:52 PM

Thanks..I think its the top plate positions the shroud correctly, mine is a 3 core top plate with a shroud made to work..i got a 4 core top plate coming, hopefully that will line it up correctly and give me better at idle cooling..much appreciated