General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Factory interior / exterior options

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2011, 11:23 AM

Factory interior / exterior options

I'm wondering what the available color options were for the interior/exterior in 1972 for Cutlasses. Specifically I am trying to find a resource which shows what was available to order and in which possible combinations.

Specifically I was wondering what colors could be ordered with a saddle interior? I would like to paint my car either dark blue or black and was wondering if that was even possible to order as a combination in '72? Or were those colors only available with a black or white interior configuration?

Thanks,
Bill
Old December 27th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Olds Nut

you may want to look into a small book called the pocket salemen... its the book the salesmen walk around with and it will tell you every option and every color combo. I found a repop on ebay or maybe i got it from in line tube.
Old December 27th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
I'm wondering what the available color options were for the interior/exterior in 1972 for Cutlasses. Specifically I am trying to find a resource which shows what was available to order and in which possible combinations.

Specifically I was wondering what colors could be ordered with a saddle interior? I would like to paint my car either dark blue or black and was wondering if that was even possible to order as a combination in '72? Or were those colors only available with a black or white interior configuration?

Thanks,
Bill
Hi Bill,
The info you are looking for is in the 72 Assembly Manual and Sales Ordering guide. Olds recommended Saddle interior with the following exterior colors
Code 11 Cameo White
Code 48 Sequoia Green
Code 50 Covert Beige
Code 53 Saturn Gold
Code 56 Sunfire Yellow
Code 63 Saddle Bronze
Code 65 Flame Orange
Code 81 Bamboo

As far as dark blue or black? On the 72 A body line Black was not offered. Code 19 Black was an Olds color offered on B and C Body cars.
Blue? In 72 the darkest A body blue color was code 26 Viking Blue. The darkest blue in B/C bodies was code 28- Royal Blue

I have a 72 Sales Ordering guide that shows the various colors and fabric options. Are you trying to keep your car 'as original' or is this a gut and redo to match your personal tastes. If the latter, go with what you want. IMO Saddle interior will also go with black very nicely. Just that most people who go with black like to go 'triple black' instead of mixing colors. Count me different.
Old December 27th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by m455sx
you may want to look into a small book called the pocket salemen... its the book the salesmen walk around with and it will tell you every option and every color combo. I found a repop on ebay or maybe i got it from in line tube.
Yes, that's actually called a SPECS booklet. I have an original complete in it's leather case and other sales info that went into ordering powerplants too. Those are now available at the Wild About Cars website - free to join, use and share.
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...ECS_Jan.72.pdf
Old December 27th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Olds Nut

if you can get around on that site. I bet the site is great but it is very hard to get around.
Old December 27th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by m455sx
if you can get around on that site. I bet the site is great but it is very hard to get around.
I understand. Took me a while to figure stuff out at first, but I visit there a lot to get info so I pretty much know where to look now. FYI although it really is a good site, there are still a bunch of 'blanks' that need to be filled in.

I know Kurt and a few others are working hard to get more info posted. He must be pretty busy though - the amount of scanning and work to maintain that site must be huge. I recently found out that you don't even have to login to use the library of resource info.

BTW, that SPECS book is available for other model years too. Why buy when you can get the info free? Here's the one for 70. You probably have it?
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/members/AardvarkPublisherAttachments/9990398487239/1970_SPECS_Jan.pdf
Old December 27th, 2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Yes, that's actually called a SPECS booklet. I have an original complete in it's leather case and other sales info that went into ordering powerplants too. Those are now available at the Wild About Cars website - free to join, use and share.
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...ECS_Jan.72.pdf
Thanks Allan - this is a great document and exactly what I was looking for!

And yes - I am looking to to build it out to my personal taste since the car will never be anything more than driver quality on my budget and its not a highly optioned car. I really like a black or dark blue with saddle so I'm going to go for it. Sounds like it should have been offered back then!
Old December 27th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
I am looking to to build it out to my personal taste since the car will never be anything more than driver quality on my budget and its not a highly optioned car. I really like a black or dark blue with saddle so I'm going to go for it. Sounds like it should have been offered back then!
I looked at the Olds outside colors and for some reason 1972 is the only year that ebony black wasn't offered on the Cutlass lineup. Maybe it had something to do with office politics? Will never know. FWIW I've seen lots of 72 A Bodies in black and they look pretty nice. Only thing I don't like about black is keeping it clean.

Glad to help. BTW there's a 67 color (code E Midnight Blue) that looks really close to what you were describing earlier. In the shade it looks almost black, but in the sun it has shades of deepwater color that really pop, especially on the contour lines. Just throwing that out there for your consideration
Old December 27th, 2011, 05:48 PM
45 yrs of Olds Nuttiness

'68 Nocturne Blue 68 Code E (Ditzler Code 13513) is similar Midnight blue E (Ditzler 13346).

This info came off the WAC site where we have all the paint codes listed by all GM makes and year from 1946-1972. This can be found at http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-bin/pub9990262549620.cgi?itemid=9990379210358&action=v iewad&categoryid=9990379193509

That's very useful if you are trying to do what you want. PS 1972 Royal Blue, paint code 28 is Ditzler 2166. and Ebony Black code 19 is Ditzler 9300