General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2012, 03:55 PM

Exhaust Question

Hey everybody,

I'm going to be doing an exhaust on my Delta in the next few months. I have gathered Flowmaster Super 44's, an "X" pipe, and 2 non-cats. I'm saving up for headers, because I want to do the entire exhaust right from the start.

I was wondering, would the exhaust sound better if I added glasspaks before the mufflers as a resonator? I know the import guys do it all the time to make their cars sound less like a blender.

Of course, I would do the same size as my exhaust system. I'm doing 2.5 inch.

Still rocking the 307 under the hood, but the 330 will find it's way in there, probably in the spring of 2014
Old November 7th, 2012, 06:08 AM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Don't know about the glasspacks.

I have something else that may be of interest related to that.

Let me dig around & try to get some links.
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Ok ...

Dunno' know how much space there may or may not be under there ... but what about a muffled x-pipe ?.

A couple of threads with some pics.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=63925

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=53386

There used to be some threads on the other Marauder site that had a ton more pics of quite a few peoples cars ... but I can't find them.

There's some Crown Vic owners running these as well.

Most everyone seems to love them.
Old November 7th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Redog
I was wondering, would the exhaust sound better if I added glasspaks before the mufflers as a resonator?
The exhaust would both sound better and flow better if you put the (no)Flowmasters in the trash and use either Walker DynoMax or Magnaflow. Flowmasters routinely rank among the most restrictive aftermarket mufflers in magazine tests. How they manage to do this and still maintain the annoying drone is a mystery. I have decades of personal experience with the Walkers and more recent experience with the Magnaflow on my 62 and I like them both. Note that the Magnaflow was louder initially but has quieted down after about 5,000 miles of driving. I suspect this is due to carbon coating the inside of the muffler and the fiberglass packing, acting as a sound absorber.
Old November 7th, 2012, 03:11 PM

Listened to all 3.

Flowmaster sounds good.

Dnyomax Ultraflow sounds AWESOME!!

Mangaflow's meh they sound a bit ricey to me, even on a V8 Olds
Old November 8th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Redog
Listened to all 3.
Listened where, on line? That's like picking a color based on how it looks on your monitor. The only way to tell how a muffler sounds is in person on a car with a comparable exhaust system to yours. Not only is sound distorted through transmission into your speakers, but the size and routing of the pipes, the length of the tailpipes past the mufflers, and the location of the end of the tailpipes relative to the car will all affect the sound.
Old November 8th, 2012, 03:52 PM

mufflers

unfortunately choosing the right muffler for your car is harder than it should be.the sound of your car gives it an attitude and identity,only you know what you want that to be. a sound you love someone else might not like. you dont want to have to change them after installing them. i agree with joe,listening to them on the computer is not an accurate sample of what they sound like in real life.i've been installing custom exhaust for 20 years and you have to figure out what sound you want and cost is also a factor.many people choose the flowmaster for its aggressive sound but some hate it.i recently installed a pair of dynomax vt mufflers on a 61 bonneville that i thought fit the car perfectly sound wise. they have a spring loaded valve that allows them to get louder when you floor it.they are stainless too.keep in mind that the same muffler on another car with a different engine or diameter pipe will not sound the same.i find that olds,pontiac and buicks have a similar sound but chevy and ford are different with the same muffler.there are anumber of flowmaster knockoffs out there at a fraction the cost,i personally like the imco knockoff,made in usa,look and sound the same.truy to sample some in real life and ask about pipe diameter,with or withot headers too.jc
Old November 8th, 2012, 07:57 PM

I bought the Dynomax Ultraflo's on Summit last night, then found them somewhere else $30 cheaper.

Summit had free shipping on them.

Called Summit this morning and they refunded me the difference from their price v. what I found them for with shipping.

Bottom line, I got them for $133 and have an offer to buy the Super 44 I have for $130
Old November 8th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I love my hooker aero chambers they both sound good and arent very restrictive imo.
Old November 8th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Only thing I ever had Flowmaster anything on was a 92 F250 w/a 460.

It was certainly not quiet but for the most part I liked the sound of it ... even tho it got a bit old after a couple of years.

I have yet to own anything else in which I'd want to use another Flowmaster tho.

I'd do Magnaflow or Dynomax first.
Old November 9th, 2012, 04:14 PM

I had Super 40's on my first Delta. My Alero is much louder with the Super 44's, but the stright thru design, even on the V6, sounds like crap.

Got them today, they were sitting out front of my front door on my way to work
Old November 9th, 2012, 05:16 PM

mufflers

i always cringe when someone comes to me and wants their v6 to sound like a hi-po or they say i want it to sound like your olds. i first recommend they get a 455 , then we can start working on the sound. 6 cylinders are so hard to get loud and good sounding, more like impossible.i believe if you use an x or h pipe on your delta the exhaust will be slightly quieter than without.
Old November 9th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

the x pipe sounde better under acceleration much more agressive.
Old November 9th, 2012, 06:28 PM
jfb

cherry bombs have a real nice tone and almost no restriction call for your application before buying them. by the way glass packs where out pretty quick and there new designs kick butt.
Old November 9th, 2012, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by jcdynamic88
i always cringe when someone comes to me and wants their v6 to sound like a hi-po or they say i want it to sound like your olds. i first recommend they get a 455 , then we can start working on the sound. 6 cylinders are so hard to get loud and good sounding, more like impossible.i believe if you use an x or h pipe on your delta the exhaust will be slightly quieter than without.
My V6 sounds good. Not V8 good, but good.

Went thru 3 or 4 different set-ups to get it right
Old November 10th, 2012, 06:09 PM

they can be tricky.i owned a 93 corvette that i put three different pairs of mufflers on before i put the original ones back on without the mid car resonator.jc