General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Ever feel like you're being followed?

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2010, 07:01 AM

Ever feel like you're being followed?

Ever been followed by a stranger for no reason?

Yesterday I was driving Lady home from Richard's daughter's funeral service. I was driving alone on the main road through town, no others even around me.
I happened to catch a glimpse of black Aurora/Alero that was stopped ahead at the light in a line of traffic. I was in the right turn lane getting ready to turn onto to the intersecting secondary road, so I passed by him. Car was dirty and a bit banged up, windows down, boom-boom-gangster-style music on. Never really looked, just glanced and noticed it was a decrepid Olds.

I noticed he got out of the line and turned right, following me at a 2-car-length distance.
He seemed to stay behind me, each time I changed lanes for about 3 miles. He never wanted to pass, even when I was in a slower lane.
I did not think too much about being followed until I was ready to turn on a low-traffic side street that is not too busy. Light was red, I was first up in the left turn lane. I eyed him out the mirror to see if it might be a friend waving me down, but no actions by him. He was pretty close to me at the light though. Whatever, I thought…
Green arrow came and I took off fast enough to get way-ahead quietly and develop a good space between us. I was cruising 50 in the 40 speed limit and he was way back. My eyes kept glancing back to see what he did; I never turned my head.
I notice he jumped into the other lane and was gaining speed to keep up.

Now living here in a high-crime drug-ladened city with millions of illegals, driving a high profile car has always kept me on edge. Car jackings are common here. This situation was getting quite uncomfortable about now.

By the time he was 3 car lengths back, I kicked into second and was up to 75 in seconds, leaving him way behind, but I could tell he was trying to keep up. The curves in the road proved that Lady's rear suspension was way outperforming her front - need to fix that soon...

The other lane ended and I got back down to 50, since cops are common on this street. He cuaght up.
I got to a small subdivision that I know well, and turned in and drove normal speeds. So did the unknown car, still behind but keeping distance. I went towards the end, then onto a branch street. He was still behind. I now consider myself being 'followed'. It is possible he wanting to know where I lived for no-good reasons.
Finally, I went around a sharp curve quickly and took another branch street before he could see what direction I went. He now had 2 choices. I went deeper in, and the other road led out.
I slowed way down and went to the back of the subdivision slowly to watch for him. I soon headed back to the main road cautiously. This area had front driveways so yard jumping was easily possible if required.
I saw him way in front with other cars in between, ready to exit the subdivision, and I tried to stay out of his mirror zone. I did this on the main road also, and I cut through another subdivision or two to get back to mine. He was gone but I wanted to get out of there fast before he got a chance to even reach those places out of chance.
I saw another black car, but it was an imp. It felt spooky though. I made sure he was turned before I turned down my street.

I pulled into the garage and shut the door - I felt very spooked. I went in and I then I hear the front door alarm that goes off when someone walks up to the porch. I then grabbed "Ol' Betsy" and looked out the side windows - nothing (must have been a bird, thank goodness…)
Geez. I never thought to bring a weapon when driving to a funeral that was only 5 miles away in a nicer area...
I never had anything like that happen before, but I always do think about what to do if it does happen. Glad I had a plan.

Not sure if I was over paranoid or if this was a potentially dramatic event thwarted by cleverness. I'd rather had been on the safe side though.
Just one of the drawbacks to owning an uncommon and valuable car while living in a big skuzzy city.
Anyone else in this situation should watch their mirrors carefully and avoid leading anyone to your house!
Old July 1st, 2010, 07:07 AM

Had a similar experience several years ago and since then I always track cars that are behind me wherever I go. Doesn't hurt to be on guard. I don't carry a gun but I do have a 2' length of 500 mcm copper wire under the seat that can take a guys head off if needed.
Old July 1st, 2010, 07:21 AM
71 cutlass convertible

sounds like something was going on. better safe than sorry.

even paraniods have little green men after them.
Larry
Old July 1st, 2010, 08:11 AM

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you. Seriously I would have been nervous also. Better safe than sorry and I would have been concerned also.
Old July 1st, 2010, 08:24 AM
Loose Radical

Cool

I've never been followed that far but I never pull into my drive way if I think any cars driving around me look out of place. I live off an alley so only people that live there should legally be using it(yea, right). I often drive by my house and NEVER open the garage doors when anyone (even people I know) are around. I do not like to advertise.
Nothing wrong with caution.
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:16 AM

Agreed something was up.
I have been in the same situation previously, but from people who are plain stupid and drive 10 under the limit and get road rage when you legally pass them.
I do what you did, take it to some back streets. Usually it's pretty easy to lose them with a little "spirited" driving. Seems like this guy was really after you for something. Good move on your part.
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:39 AM

You should report it, there may have been similar crimes or future ones that this info will assist law enforcement.
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:53 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

You did the right thing Rob. One thing I have always heard is to drive to the police station. My Cutlass is the third convertible I have owned. I never noticed it with the previous ones (one was in the 60's) but I am very cautious when I am driving with the top down. It seems like every time you stop at a light, somebody wants to comment on your car. Most of them are legitimate and just admire the car which does get their attention. I am sure a lot of them think I am and ahole because I ignore a lot of them. Car jacking is to common. Of course I will have the Glock under the seat after I get the brakes done and get it back on the road. It is an unfortunate thing about the society we live in.
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:56 AM

It was probably the CIA or FBI. They do that kind of thing. You never know how deep undercover their agents might go.

Really though, glad to hear you and Lady are ok. It is a crazy world we live in.

I will have the Glock under the seat
Always a good deterrent.
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:57 AM

sounds fishy to me too - I was taught to drive to a police station if that ever happens, but the truth is it's all a matter of luck - I swear I think I almost got car-jacked a couple of months ago - I had the Toronado and was at Advance Auto, car was backed in, I was putting my purchases in the trunk, and out of no-where shows an illegal in an old pickup asking if I need any paintwork done - just as I was getting in the car, stepping on the brake, dropping it into drive and letting the door swing shut as I hauled *** out of there - who knows 10 seconds more???
Old July 1st, 2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by 501Paratrooper
You should report it, there may have been similar crimes or future ones that this info will assist law enforcement.
I wanted to, but the car following me had no front plate (thanks to our laxed laws) and I did not want to get close enough to try to see any more than I did.
My first priority was to get myself away and keep him behind; did not even want to dig out the phone. Around here, without a plate #, any report you make is usually disregarded. In a small town, this may be different.

Originally Posted by redoldsman
One thing I have always heard is to drive to the police station. My Cutlass is the third convertible I have owned. I never noticed it with the previous ones (one was in the 60's) but I am very cautious when I am driving with the top down. It seems like every time you stop at a light, somebody wants to comment on your car.
Unfortunately, the cop depot was too far away. However, right across from that subdivision I shook him at was a fire station, my next stop if I could not loose him.
Yea, I get comments, too, when on the road and I am usually responsive to them. It is those who are staring and following silently who make me wonder.

I am glad I did what I did and nothing else became of it. Still did not like it though...
Old July 1st, 2010, 10:26 AM

Freaky...

Geez rob definately sounds like something was up with that?

good move losing him, I never think about Car Jackings, we don't really get a lot of that where I am at, but I would think he might be following you to find out where your bat cave was to come back for a little late night "shopping".
Good point for driving to a police station, you could even look for a cop and "ask for directions" Although i fully agree that having a little equalizer under the seat is warranted, some how I think with the way society is today, that if something did happen, YOU'll Be deemed in the wrong!! so make sure to wipe off all the prints and stuff

seriously it is a freaky story...
Old July 1st, 2010, 10:39 AM

Most Police agencies use crime mapping/tracking software even w/o a tag # the color and make time of day and location could be useful.
Old July 1st, 2010, 11:05 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Geez rob definately sounds like something was up with that?

good move losing him, I never think about Car Jackings, we don't really get a lot of that where I am at, but I would think he might be following you to find out where your bat cave was to come back for a little late night "shopping".
Good point for driving to a police station, you could even look for a cop and "ask for directions" Although i fully agree that having a little equalizer under the seat is warranted, some how I think with the way society is today, that if something did happen, YOU'll Be deemed in the wrong!! so make sure to wipe off all the prints and stuff

seriously it is a freaky story...
I have a Texas Concealed Handgun License and Texas has the Castle Doctrine which allows a person to carry and concealed weapon in their car. They look at your car like it is your home and you have a right to defend it. One thing they tell you in the concealed handgun class is that if you shoot somebody in self defense, you are probably going to get sued. I would still rather take my chances on being sued versus being killed. Understand, the weapon is totally for self defense. I hope I am never put in a position of having to use it. It would be a life altering experience under any circumstances.
Old July 1st, 2010, 11:22 AM

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. Sum'en up?

I always trust my endsticks.

I don't know about Texas law but here in Gawga ya can get a firearms permit to carry a heater. I carry one everywhere I go along with my Amex card.

"Never Leave home without it. "

Old July 1st, 2010, 12:19 PM

Most Police agencies use crime mapping/tracking software even w/o a tag # the color and make time of day and location could be useful.
Good point; modern software could be helpful. I will keep this in mind, although i hope this will not happen again.

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I have a Texas Concealed Handgun License and Texas has the Castle Doctrine which allows a person to carry and concealed weapon in their car. They look at your car like it is your home and you have a right to defend it. One thing they tell you in the concealed handgun class is that if you shoot somebody in self defense, you are probably going to get sued. I would still rather take my chances on being sued versus being killed. Understand, the weapon is totally for self defense. I hope I am never put in a position of having to use it. It would be a life altering experience under any circumstances.
Yep; I like the castle laws here. And I agree with everything you said - weapon for last resorts but always good to have on hand in a city like this one. --I still need to borrow that deringer for a weekend or two to try out.
Heck, the thugs here will still harm ya even if you give them what they want, so might as well attempt to defend yourself.

This still feels like a bad dream...
Old July 1st, 2010, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
This still feels like a bad dream...
a bad dream can be a good wake up call
Old July 1st, 2010, 12:53 PM

Wow Rob, cetainly sounds fishy. You did the right thing by eluding him. Glad it worked out OK

I have my handgun with me (in the car/truck) most all the time. In SC it can be in your vehicle (glove box or console) without a permit. You need a concealed weapons permit to carry in public (although most places don't allow them, but how would they know if it's concealed )

There are more and more stories around here where the good guys are prepared and use force against the bad guys and win.

There is not a jury in the world that would convict someone for protecting their self, family, or property.
Old July 1st, 2010, 04:09 PM

You did good ! It's always good to have a plan. It's not about being paranoid, it's about being prepared. When being followed you don't drive home. Sometimes that's what the bad guy want's. Driving a car like yours catches the eye of a potential auto thief. Just be observant from now on and if you see the same car where you lost it, it could mean they are trying to "pick you up" where they lost you. Always keep a clear head and think about your options instead of falling prey to panic.

Never drive down a dead end road and commit yourself to being caught or boxed in. Never carry a gun unless you know in your heart that you could use it to defend yourself , your loved ones or someone in need of help ( theres a big difference between saying and doing ). And yes, you can be sure there will be at least civil action taken for wrongful death even in self defense from some "dirt bag" trying to kill you.

Some of the suggestions made by others in this post are absolutely correct. Many cops that work undercover are constantly changing their daily routes to get home, they watch the rear view mirror and conduct "heat checks" to determine if someone is following them, just like drug dealers do to evade cops.

The bad guys have perfected the art of surveillance and counter surveillance because of the nature of their "job". It's a survival instinct to avoid arrest. They also can use it to their benefit. As some on this site know, if their cars are stolen they disappear and are typically parted out.

Whatever the motive for this individual to show excessive interest in you and your car, its a reminder to all of us that we need to pay attention. It's always good to be aware of your surroundings. Aware of suspicious cars or people in your neighborhood. Call the cops and tell them. Sometimes, like one of the others in this post said, law enforcement keeps records even if there is no license plate. It is a simple suspicious circumstances with the time, place, description. This may be connection with something else criminal in your neighborhood.

Some time ago, I had a man drive by my house several times and finally he stopped across the street and walked over to me. I had my garage door up and you could see my car inside the garage. The man seemed unusually nervous and kept looking over my shoulder into my garage. He wanted to know what year my Camaro was. I told him that I didn't have a Camaro, that the car he was looking at was a 69 Toronado. How do you get Camaro and Toronado mixed up ? This is no car guy ! Anyway, after a few minutes of this guy just rambling on about how he used to have a Camaro, I realized that he was looking in my garage to see what I had. For what reason, I can only make guesses...I'm sure many others have experienced this. it should be harmless curiosity but it could be something much more sinister. For the next week or so I watched for this guys car to show up and talked to my neighbors also.

Didn't mean to get off track, just wanted to say I can relate and I'm sure many others can as well. Property can be replaced, we all can't and it's good to be alive !

PS Happy Independence Day, this is a great country built and protected by great people , even when others try to mess it up....
Old July 1st, 2010, 04:42 PM

glad everything turned out ok. when i was in high school most every guy had a CB in there truck and car. i had one in my Rallye 350 and a guy was following me. after several turns in strange directions he keep following me. i called out to my friends on the CB and had them meet me at the water tower because someone was following me. i pulled away and i got going close to 60 MPH when i got to the water tower and hit the E brake and spun the car around to where i was bumper to bumper to him. there was 12 of my friends there and we surrounded the truck. it turned out to be my cousin wanting to show me his new truck. we sure scared the crap out of him.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 06:01 AM

My neighbors told me a story about a friend who had a nice collectable car in his garage. It was in an isolated area and rarely had crime.
He had some work done out in his yard by some contractors and he was waxing the car in the garage with the door open. About a week later, the garage was broke into and car was stolen while he was away.
They only assumed it was done (or initiated) by one of those contractors.

I always keep the door shut if any contract workers are working nearby, or when I just do not need it open. One cannot want what they do not see.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 06:26 AM
"me somebody" site member

Some a-hole in a big Suburban tailgated / followed me on the way home a couple years back on the way back from Home Depot after he decided that I had no right to get in front of him at a merge. Had a personalized plate to boot, a shortened form of the word "SNOWMOBILE". I wasn't terribly frightened, but my wife was in the car with me, and so I pulled onto a "semi-circular" street I knew of that came back around onto the main road, and went around a few times before he decided to give up.

About 6 months later, I was waiting at a light (my wife was in the car with me once again) and noticed the same guy was in front of me (thanks to the vanity plate). I said "isn't this interesting?" and found out exactly where he lived (one town over). My wife made me promise not to do anything, not that it was necessary. Too much to lose at this point in my life to act on my baser instincts.

By the way, "Duel" was on last night. To this day, remains one of the scariest damn movies I have ever seen.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
I pulled onto a "semi-circular" street I knew of that came back around onto the main road, and went around a few times before he decided to give up.
Dizzy his ****!!! Funny...

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
About 6 months later, I was waiting at a light (my wife was in the car with me once again) and noticed the same guy was in front of me (thanks to the vanity plate). I said "isn't this interesting?" and found out exactly where he lived (one town over).
What's good for the goose is good for the gander. What comes around goes around.

Gotta have a plan...
Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:29 AM
"me somebody" site member

Dizzy his ****!!! Funny...
Not sure I really mad him dizzy, but probably made him feel like / reminded him of the impotent F-ing jerk he was.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. What comes around goes around.
Like I said, I'll never act on my base desires. BUT I have had occasion to walk by his house as part of my excercise regimen, and to see him messing around in his yard, a knowing grin on my face all the while.

I've had other occasions be be followed, though not when my wife was in the car with me. Usually because of the ****** gesture I prefer giving to people over the finger (seems to make them far angrier, especially when followed up with throwing my head back and roaring with laugher).

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; July 2nd, 2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 01:44 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

[QUOTE=Lady72nRob71;187289]

I still need to borrow that deringer for a weekend or two to try out

Whenever you are ready. Just give me a call. (214) 354-6835
Old July 2nd, 2010, 03:52 PM

car jackings are way way way down!!! there are still a handfull of them but not like 10 years ago, i dont think it was that!! they were most likely going 2 follow you home and come back 2 try 2 steal it at night!! ive had a few cars stolen and stripped when i was in my 20's all at night and all without insurance!!! DONT LOSE ANY SLEEP OVER IT!! you have a nice car with parts that are worth alot of money if its left out side it will be stolen!! its messed up but its the truth!!!

i spent $200 on a real time gps tracker its wired under my dash it has a 6 day battery if the car battery is unplugged, if my car is stolen it can be tracked 2 the spot in seconds, id rather have the gps over a alarm anyday

Last edited by 2blu442; July 3rd, 2010 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Cleaned up language
Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:10 PM

[QUOTE=
i spent $200 on a real time gps tracker its wired under my dash it has a 6 day battery if the car battery is unplugged, if my car is stolen it can be tracked 2 the spot in seconds, id rather have the gps over a alarm anyday[/QUOTE]

Who makes the GPS and do you pay a monthly fee? I want a tracking system but as a cop I don't like some things about the Lo Jack system.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 06:55 AM

[quote=redoldsman;187516]

I still need to borrow that deringer for a weekend or two to try out

Whenever you are ready. Just give me a call. (214) 354-6835
Thanks - I will let you know. Need to order some ammo for it first; I heard Academy might sell it - need to check.

Originally Posted by sx455raidercelticfan
car jackings are way way way down!!! there are still a handfull of them but not like 10 years ago, i dont think it was that!! they were most likely going 2 follow you home and come back 2 try 2 steal it at night!! ive had a few cars stolen and stripped when i was in my 20's all at night and all without insurance!!! DONT LOSE ANY SLEEP OVER IT!! you have a nice car with parts that are worth alot of money if its left out side it will be stolen!! its fucked up but its the truth!!!
Unfortunately here in Dallas, crime is still way up there. I recently heard of a guy in a geo metro being carjacked in south dallas. Definetely drugs were involved there. I never go into that nasty area, but there are still druggies scattered all around.
I do agree that they were just wanting to try to come get it later. No sleep was lost though. She has good insurance, parked in a closed garage that is connected to the central alarm system, and I have observant neighbors next door. Never will Lady sleep outside. There have been many car burglaries around here where thugs check cars for unlocked doors and take everything they can. My neighbor was one of them, twice! I am sure they prolly checked my caddy a few times, but found it locked and nothing inside it anyway.

Who makes the GPS and do you pay a monthly fee? I want a tracking system but as a cop I don't like some things about the Lo Jack system.
X2 - I am curious, too. This would be nice when i start travelling in it more later.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 09:44 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Probley just a illegal alien with good taste in cars.......Better safe than sorry tho.....You might of tried the whatever driveway looks good technique also and then pop the hood like you live there ............Jerr
Old July 3rd, 2010, 02:12 PM

real time gps tracking is the same thing the feds/dea/police use 2 follow people, its not even close 2 lojack!!!! mine was $229 plus $49 a year to use it, i can look up where my car is at from a I-phone or any computer with the internet with only a 5 second loss, the monthly or yearly price depends on the real time gps model you get if it has alot of options it costs more, my model is discontinued but heres the site i used

http://www.pimall.com/nais/tracking.html

they have alot more than you can see call and ask for there older models that are on sale and if they dont have the exact 1 for a good price check all the other web sites!

google- REAL TIME GPS TRACKING and youll see hundreds of them 4sale, if all your using it for is tracking your car than find 1 that can be wired in for power AND HAS A BACK UP BATTERY and make sure its REAL TIME and can be tracked by satellite on the internet!! do not get a USB gps because if your car is stolen so is the GPS and you cant track it!! it has 2 be REAL TIME so you can track it on the net!! youll see alot that are high priced trackers just keep looking untill you find a $400 one on sale for $250 because its last years model!!!

i found out about gps trackers because my x-wife was tracking me 3-4 years ago when we were still 2gether with a under the car real time gps tracker called THE GPS SNITCH, it was like something youd see in the movies the tracker was small and was in a 4inch x 5inch plastic box with a soft ball size magnet on it, she put it under my car and tracked me everywhere!! i couldnt figure out how she allways knew where i was at, she would just pop up at my friends houses and accuse me of cheating, she lied and said my friend was telling her where i was at and i beat him up, she put me threw hell with that tracker! most of the places that sell them will tell you that there biggest customers are husbands or wifes that want 2 spy on there spouses or teen age kids
Old July 3rd, 2010, 02:22 PM

sorry 2 hijack your thread lady72rob71!! but i think a club and my real time gps tracker is 100 times better than a alarm!! a car can still get stolen/towed with a alarm but if its stolen with a real time gps tracker youll have it back as soon as you see its gone!!!
Old July 3rd, 2010, 02:31 PM
Registered

Move here, no worries, ain't nothin' going on, even the criminals moved away looking for greener pastures.

My buddy in high school was followed all over the place by a strange car, cut his lights, sped down sidestreets trying to elude the guy, spent 3 days in jail after the cop car caught him.

Just get on the cell phone and call your cop brother-in-law and tell him to have his fully automatic gangster type Thompson sub-machine gun ready for action for the car behind when you drive by his house.
Old July 4th, 2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Just get on the cell phone and call your cop brother-in-law and tell him to have his fully automatic gangster type Thompson sub-machine gun ready for action for the car behind when you drive by his house.
I like this idea...
Old July 6th, 2010, 05:50 PM

get a permit. Better safe than sorry. Scumbags are everywhere!
Old July 6th, 2010, 08:31 PM

I'm gonna look into an ignition cut off switch pretty soon, also thinking about having an alarm installed on top of that. I live out in the country but i have deadbolts on every door with heavy, long screws that go beyond the whimpy door jamb and well into the studs. As stated before, you can never be too careful!!!!!
Old July 6th, 2010, 08:39 PM

Move here, no worries, ain't nothin' going on, even the criminals moved away looking for greener pastures.
Don't be so sure about that. I've seen plenty of cats jumping out of my car when I leave my windows down. I know they were trying to get the radio
Old July 7th, 2010, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by BIGJERR
Probley just a illegal alien with good taste in cars.......Better safe than sorry tho.....You might of tried the whatever driveway looks good technique also and then pop the hood like you live there ............Jerr
Given the types of illegals we have here, I would not want them to get that close. Many do have guns, prolly stolen ones. Sure i could use mine, but I would rather stay out of that situation. I preferred to keep moving and keep him behind. I have heard of some getting in front, stopping or trying to stage a wreck to get ones car. Nope - that was not gonna happen...

Originally Posted by GoodOldsGuyDougie
get a permit. Better safe than sorry. Scumbags are everywhere!
Enough said in such few words!

even the criminals moved away looking for greener pastures.
Yea, they all moved to here...

Originally Posted by dan2286
I've seen plenty of cats jumping out of my car when I leave my windows down. I know they were trying to get the radio
Be glad it wasn't a bear - they are known to take the whole car!