General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Ethanol free gas

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2012, 03:27 PM

Ethanol free gas

I found this web sight today that lists like 4400 gas stations all over the US and Canada that sells Ethanol free gas. http://pure-gas.org
Old April 5th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Geezer

Not that it wouldn't be nice to find Ethanol Free gasoline outside of Marinas and Air fields the problem with a web site like this one is it depends upon input from the public at large. There is no uniformity in pump labeling from state to state for the amount of Ethanol that may be in gasoline and some states do not even have a labeling requirement. Additionally not all retailers are in compliance with their given state's fuel labeling requirements. In other words, NEVER ASSUME UN-LABELED PUMPS ARE ETHANOL-FREE!

The bad side of pump labeling is unless the label says some thing like "may contain up to 10% Ethanol" or "Contains no more than 10% Ethanol" there may well be more than 10% Ethanol in the fuel.
Old April 6th, 2012, 02:10 PM

Well today I did some research on the listed gas stations and found the 2 of the three listed in Boise do carry 91 octane w/o ethanol and I found a third station here that's not on the list. I found that it has to be trucked into our area but it's here. So a lot of the listings are correct just do your homework.
Old April 6th, 2012, 04:59 PM

In Canada, Shell 91 Octane (V-Power) does not contain Ethanol. Their mid grade 89 gas has 5% ethanol.

In Ontario, Petro Canada stations that don't have 94 Octane (i.e. their highest octane is 91) are 0% ethanol in the 91 gas. Confusing, but true.

Heard that now 15% ethanol is about to enter into the gas supply in the US.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...nol-blend.html

They (big agribusiness / pesticide industry) are trying to push this sh*t up here in Canada, too. It's going to kill our old cars, outboards, power equipment and mileage generally.

Such a false economy. And we keep electing these dumb a$$es.
Old April 7th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Geezer

Originally Posted by justinj
In Canada, Shell 91 Octane (V-Power) does not contain Ethanol. Their mid grade 89 gas has 5% ethanol.

In Ontario, Petro Canada stations that don't have 94 Octane (i.e. their highest octane is 91) are 0% ethanol in the 91 gas. Confusing, but true.

Heard that now 15% ethanol is about to enter into the gas supply in the US.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...nol-blend.html

They (big agribusiness / pesticide industry) are trying to push this sh*t up here in Canada, too. It's going to kill our old cars, outboards, power equipment and mileage generally.

Such a false economy. And we keep electing these dumb a$$es.
The stupid EPA established the 15% Ethanol bit for introduction into the U.S. fuel supply as far back as 2005, if memory serves. Now I'm going to call the Bloomberg Article as one written by a totally ignorant nit-wit. Neither ADM or Cargill "markets" gasoline as the first sentence in the article implies. They are both two of the worlds largest agriculture companies with each having huge farming operations on virtually every continent. They certainly would push for more Ethanol because they both produce corn in unimaginable amounts and are eager to point out that the current domestic wholesale price of a gallon of Ethanol is less than a gallon of gasoline. So even for the retail arms of refining companies there is profit motivation to put more and more Ethanol into gasoline. Disregarding the fact it takes more energy to produce than it yields and the fact the amount of water needed to produce it presents a problem with respect to freshwater supply, which is becoming an increasingly scarce commodity across much of the continent.

If we can't pollute our freshwater supply with fertilizers and pesticides, let's use it to produce a totally inefficient fuel source that damages virtually every fuel system it comes into contact with regardless of their specific nature.

Last edited by Texascarnut; April 7th, 2012 at 10:44 AM.