General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

engine assembly lube....& pre lube question

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2014, 02:53 AM

engine assembly lube....& pre lube question

What do you guys use for the cam, bearings, rings etc? Is there a good single product for all of these?
Is there any point in pre-lubing way before actually starting it for the first time? or should it be done just before start up time? Does all the oil drain back to the pan from the oil passages? I ask because it would be more convenient / easier to do while still on the stand and stab the dist. while there too.
Thanks!
Old February 14th, 2014, 07:35 AM

I always use a good assembly lube from a reputable engine builder. Coat the cylinder walls with the oil you are going to run the engine on during break in. I dip the tops of the pistons up to the bottom ring in the same oil to insure oil is coating the rings well. Fill the filter before installing it. Spin the oil pump to pre-lube everything else until every rocker is lubing. After that, I would start the engine as soon as you can if you can't spin the oil pump again. Also there are differing thoughts on the lifters, some say pre fill them and others say put them in dry and let the oil pump fill them when you prelude the engine. I'm not going to recommend either way.
Old February 14th, 2014, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by edzolz
I always use a good assembly lube from a reputable engine builder. Coat the cylinder walls with the oil you are going to run the engine on during break in. I dip the tops of the pistons up to the bottom ring in the same oil to insure oil is coating the rings well. Fill the filter before installing it. Spin the oil pump to pre-lube everything else until every rocker is lubing. After that, I would start the engine as soon as you can if you can't spin the oil pump again. Also there are differing thoughts on the lifters, some say pre fill them and others say put them in dry and let the oil pump fill them when you prelude the engine. I'm not going to recommend either way.
I learned from an old timer way back in the day. He used a mixture of white lithium assembly lube mixed with engine oil. Stays on the cylinder walls and other wear surfaces during assembly and hand rotation for initial seating. It washes out once the engine is started letting the break in oil take over. It may not be textbook, but I haven't lost a motor on break in yet.
Tim
Old February 14th, 2014, 10:22 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I use lucas assembly lube for the cam and lubriplate for the bearings . I use a very very thin coat of trans fluid on the cylinders applied with a lint free cloth. Then I use my choice of oil with the lucas zddp additive pre lube it until oil comes out the pushrods and that's it. Aside from the trans fluid I install the rings dry. It also matters what kind of rings you used moly faced etc.
Old February 14th, 2014, 10:32 AM

Copper, does the trans fluid help the rings seat better? What's the theory there?
Old February 14th, 2014, 10:39 AM

Just enough to not scratch the cylinders on install.
Old February 14th, 2014, 10:43 AM

Ok. Gotcha. I have a friend that does the same thing. I just never knew why.
Old February 14th, 2014, 10:56 AM

You are not suppoused with plasma moly rings but I have never had them not seal before. If you do too much you glaze the rings and they will never seal.