General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Empty bowl

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2011, 12:51 AM

Empty bowl

Hey guys. Can any body help with a starting problem on my 69, 400ci, 442. When starting, after not driving for a couple of days, the engine needs to turn over approx 10 -14 times before it kicks into life. Once running it performs o'k. If i start it within a couple of hours it will start first time. The longer i leave it the more the starter needs to turn over the engine to get it to fire. I have had the carby overhauled and at that time they appoxied the welsh plugs in the float bowl so they wouldn't leak. the float bowl is in good condition and is not cracked. Is there any other way to lose fuel out of the float bowl?
Oh yeh i have turned the throttle lever to see if it was spraying any fuel into bowl after standing for a few days and the float bowl seems to be empty.
Thanks for any help
Old April 24th, 2011, 05:43 AM

I had that issue once but it was after the car sat for 2 years. The needle seat on the inlet kind of glued itself shut and kept the float up so it did not call for gas. A tap with the hammer fixed it.
Old April 24th, 2011, 08:07 AM

Most likely whoever rebuilt the carb just epoxied over the top of the plugs that were installed when the carb was built, and now that epoxy has loosened and the plugs are once again leaking. The plugs should have been removed and the holes drilled and tapped for screw-in plugs that should also be expoxied with something like "Marine-tex" that gasoline will not soften over time.
Old April 24th, 2011, 04:02 PM

Thanks guys. The carb had this problem before it was recoed and still has it after it was recoed. Maybe the guy didn't do a very good job. Could vacum be sucking the bowl dry? Could the fuel return back down the line if the float needle is not sealing in its seat?
Old April 24th, 2011, 06:01 PM

The input to the float bowl is higher than the output of the jets or accelerator pump, the only way to have no fuel in the carb is for it to leak out those 4 plugs, or a crack in the housing. If you take the carb apart you can set the center housing on a piece of paper and fill the float housing with liquid and see where it leaks onto the paper.
Old April 24th, 2011, 06:38 PM

Funny to see that the best ideas are mostly the easiest (simplest).
Thanks i'll do that
Old April 24th, 2011, 06:53 PM

If there's a pinhole in the fuel pump, it can syphon the fuel from the carb.
If the pump is old, changing it could be the cure.
After the car sits, before starting, pull the dipstick and see if it smells like gas.
If so, the carb has an internal leak - might want to change the watered-down oil, too, after fixing the well plugs.
Old April 24th, 2011, 09:37 PM

Ok. Will do that as well. I guess its a matter of elimination. At least i now know where to start.
Thanks