General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

edelbrock carb

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2019 | 10:59 PM

edelbrock carb

i've read post on other site that don't have good things to say about edelbrock carb. i have a 87 cutlass with a olds 455 with a 750 edelbrock mounted on a performer intake, what improvement will make this a better carburetor.
Old July 8th, 2019 | 11:12 PM

I ran a 1407 on my 455 for two years and it never let me down. I never had any issues with it, I think a lot of people bag on them because they are used to Holley carbs and really don't know how to tune these. I think someone that has experience tuning a Rochester would have better luck with an Edelbrock than someone that learned on Holleys.
Old July 9th, 2019 | 04:05 AM

What problems are you having? Before blaming the carb, is the fuel system clean and capable of keeping up with the engine demands? How is the tune? Is the ignition timing correct? Advance weights in the distributor clean and free to move? Spark plugs clean, the right heat range, and gapped correctly? Coil, plug wires, distributor cap, etc all clean and in good shape?
Old July 9th, 2019 | 05:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

I've had an E-brock 1403 500 CFM carb on my 62 F-85 since 2010. No issues whatsoever. I did finally change the step-up springs under the primary metering rod pistons, and that improved off-idle tip-in. Other than that, it has been flawless. This is on an otherwise stock 215.
Old July 9th, 2019 | 09:53 PM

not having any problem, ask the question out of curiosity. it's hard to believe a company that's been around for so long can have a such crappy product review. the car is in the restoration stage no seat,no interior, no doors just a shell with a engine. it's a newly rebuild engine i start once a month to keep the lifter pump and lubed if that make sense.
Old July 10th, 2019 | 03:15 AM

The biggest issue with the Edelbrock carb is it’s not a Holley. They work differently than a Holley as far as making tuning changes, and parts aren’t as easy to find. Every parts store and speed shop has Holley stuff.

I never cared for for the way the fuel line fits the carb, it limits options with air cleaners. To use a low profile air filter requires the use of the banjo bolt, and that appears to be a major restriction in fuel flow. Eliminating the banjo bolt and using a barb or AN fitting means raising the filter base, would can cause hood clearance issues.

You can can tune them to run very well, just like any other performance carb, you have to play with it and tweak it until the engine is happy.
Old July 10th, 2019 | 07:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

The E-brock and Qjet carbs have an additional level of complexity over the Holley - the use of metering rods and an air valve arguably allows those carbs to more accurately match fuel metering with engine needs, but the added complexity also makes tuning a little more difficult. I've found that the people who badmouth these carbs lack either the patience or the skills to properly tune them. Also keep in mind that very very few people post reviews on line if they are happy. It's usually the disgruntled customers who post. That's not exactly a scientifically valid sample.
Old July 10th, 2019 | 10:16 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Agreed with all of this. I have a 1411 series AVS on a 375 hp, 327 vette. Once I dialed it in I haven't touched it in several years. Sorta like a Q-Jet, sorta unlike a Holley. Everyone I know who owns a performance Holley constantly has a screwdriver on it.

Get the jet, spring and rod kit for your carb. More importantly, get the fuel curve mapping graph and tuning instructions from EBrock tech dept. You can really dial these carbs in if you take the time to study the graph and instructions.

I tried to upload the manual but I'm at work and George Orwell won't let me!
Old July 10th, 2019 | 10:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
I tried to upload the manual but I'm at work and George Orwell won't let me!
Or, just type edelbrock performer tuning manual into Google. It's the first link that comes up.
Old July 10th, 2019 | 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The E-brock and Qjet carbs have an additional level of complexity over the Holley - the use of metering rods and an air valve arguably allows those carbs to more accurately match fuel metering with engine needs, but the added complexity also makes tuning a little more difficult. I've found that the people who badmouth these carbs lack either the patience or the skills to properly tune them. Also keep in mind that very very few people post reviews on line if they are happy. It's usually the disgruntled customers who post. That's not exactly a scientifically valid sample.
Joe, I have wondered the same thing over the years. There is the fact that Doug Roe and Cliff Ruggles each wrote books that extensively covered the Quadrajet.
.......Just my two cents worth.
Old July 10th, 2019 | 02:33 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Joe, I have wondered the same thing over the years. There is the fact that Doug Roe and Cliff Ruggles each wrote books that extensively covered the Quadrajet.
.......Just my two cents worth.
There is no shortage of Holley books.

Old July 10th, 2019 | 03:31 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Yep here it is. Scroll down to where it says "Looking for installation instructions for your product? Please use the search field to the right and enter your part #." and hit search.

https://www.edelbrock.com/edelbrock-...esource-center