General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Ebay W30 Something I Did Not Know?

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:38 AM

Ebay W30 Something I Did Not Know?

Ok thru the years I had to put te BS boots on now and then. Dont get me wrong its a beautiful car, looks legit but the H heads and Hurst equipped badge theory made me laugh.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-...item3cc3f9163c
Old March 23rd, 2012, 10:56 AM
Geezer

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Ok thru the years I had to put te BS boots on now and then. Dont get me wrong its a beautiful car, looks legit but the H heads and Hurst equipped badge theory made me laugh.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-...item3cc3f9163c
I don't know that I'd describe it as "beautiful" given much of the interior is a disaster and there is a huge dent in a rear fender. Might be a "beautiful" example of a potential money pit. Appears to be a serious issue with an exhaust manifold gasket and one has to wonder what's with the box of pistons in the trunk. I'd probably pass on that car at without a really good explanation of why there is a box of pistons in the trunk if looking for a like car.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 11:33 AM

I guess I mean beautiful because it is a documented 71 W30, yes it needs lots of work and the pistons are explained along with the Hurst reasoning...
Old March 23rd, 2012, 12:03 PM
"Car"mudgeon

H is for Hurst
Old March 23rd, 2012, 12:04 PM
"me somebody" site member

Maybe he could take the pistons out of the trunk and put them on the back seat or sumptin.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 12:58 PM

its a wacky story but I've heard wackier, its also a steal at that price right now, sure it needs work but documented and resale red!
Old March 23rd, 2012, 01:07 PM
"Car"mudgeon

The H heads are appearantly super rare and are '71 only big valve units. Hmmm I wonder what the reserve is http://442.com/oldsfaq/ofhed.htm#HEA...Identification
Old March 23rd, 2012, 01:11 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
I guess I mean beautiful because it is a documented 71 W30, yes it needs lots of work and the pistons are explained along with the Hurst reasoning...
Yeah, I missed the explanation on the pistons, which in turn brings out more questions when you look at the specific language.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 02:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
The H heads are appearantly super rare and are '71 only big valve units. Hmmm I wonder what the reserve is http://442.com/oldsfaq/ofhed.htm#HEA...Identification
Yes they are, so is that 455 aluminum intake. H heads were recently discussed and IIRC they were valuing them in excess of 1500 EACH. He's not sure about the engine, but that could be verified by checking the stamping pad on the block. Someone sure went glad happy with gages and rockers on the dash. Yes the interior cosmetics could use freshening, but those parts are easy to get now.

re: the Hurst badges? Likely repops from PP. I have never seen a 70-72 442 W30 adorned like that - looks cheezy. I looked at the window sticker and it does have documentation for the intake manifold, special order paint, OAI hood and the W Machine option. Too bad the top of the OAI and the original carb are missing.

I wonder if the body is in such rough shape, what's the frame like?
Old March 23rd, 2012, 04:58 PM
"me somebody" site member

Original Hurst Equipped badges were cast metal (which is what the seller of that car says they are made of); the repos are plastic.

The should really cancel the ad, chuck those pistons, and re-list it.

Really, you buy any 40+ year old car, you have NO idea what lurks in the engine, pistons in the trunk or not. Putting high-comp. pistons in the car makes perfect sense to me, and so does keeping the originals. I bet it'd be easy enough to determine if those pistons are stock pieces or not.

One comment about the story re: the badges and the "H" on the heads, these were attributed as being just that, the story given to him by the guy the current seller bought the car from all those years ago. As I read it, I can almost see the tongue planted firmly in cheek.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 05:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Good info on the H badges. What cars were they installed in, and where were they placed?

re: H Heads
I looked them up and found this interesting info (WAC) on H Heads and why they are different
Due to the firing order of Olds V8s, number 3 and 6 spark plugs fire in succession. This caused interference at the intake manifold crossover passage, disturbing the exhaust pulses for these cylinders. So Olds engineers had a small horizontal wall cast between the center exhaust port divider and the #3 or #6 port wall (depending on what side of the engine you face),closing off the passage to the intake manifold. Number 5 & 4 ports still fed heat to the passage for fast warm ups and these heads showed improved horsepower ratings; especially when exhaust headers were used. The second modification was the port shape just below the intake valves. Olds actually decreased the diameter of the opening just below the valve head. This created a venturi effect increasing flow with these heads.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 10:34 PM

Damn...forget the car!! Check out his other auction!! I've got pics of this in a Hurst book I have....cool......and summer's coming!!

Show up at the Nationals towing that thing behind an H/O...put some Hurst wheels on the trailer while you're at it.

Last edited by 70Post; March 23rd, 2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old March 24th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Never would have guessed that in a million years! Hmmm, looks like it needs as much resto as the car though...
Old March 24th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Old(s) Fart

The Hurst badges are aftermarket and always were. The car, on the other hand, appears to be a relatively complete 1971 W-30. I suspect the reserve is WELL above the current bid.