General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Don't you hate it when.......

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2009, 07:11 PM

Don't you hate it when.......

Don't you hate it when this happens. Quite by accident, I stumbled across an ad for a 1966 F-85 Deluxe 4-door sedan only about 25 miles from my home. It seemed to be a brand new ad, less than a week old and judging by the pictures it seemed a great project car for the future. I made that mistake of dreaming about what I would do to the car and I decided that after getting all mechanicals in order, and some issues with the body, a new coat of Target Red paint to take care of the granny looking part of the car, would go great with the red interior. A new set of 66 Olds Wire caps with spinners on a fresh set of Coker correct width whitewalls and maybe to give it just a little flash, dual out the exhaust and add a set of 66 442 tailpipes and maybe beef up the 330 a bit. I'm sure the interior will need some work as well, but hey SMS auto fabrics will have what I need. So I'm ready to go. Call the friends, get some help for Saturday, make all the plans to store the car until I can get to it. Everythings ready, so I call this afternoon to set up an appointment for Saturday morning to see the car, which by the way was priced at $600. The ad stated that they did not care if you restored the car, drove the car or took it to the demo derby, they just wanted it out of their yard.......so the phone rings, the owner answers and the response.....CAR'S GONE... IT SOLD LAST WEEK!

Last edited by 76Supreme455; August 21st, 2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old August 20th, 2009, 07:29 PM
car guy

I have a white 67 4dr hard top with factory air. No motor or trans but I can find you one if you wanted. Body looks to be in a little bit better shape than that one. I will take 900.00 for it. I can work out some thing for delivery if you wanted it.
Old August 21st, 2009, 02:29 AM

just happened to me 2 months ago. i found a 70 442 with factory OAI and air breather. engine missing. sat for years almost no rust. and perfect hood all for $2500. i called to let him know i would call back in the morning for directions and pick it up. when i called the next morning there was no answer. by 1:00 i decided to figure out where he lived on my own. i got to his house and he told me that he sold it the night before right after i called.
Old August 21st, 2009, 05:20 AM

I do consider myself lucky when I bought my Harley and the 'vert'...
I verbally committed to buy them, just needed some time to go get them.
Both sellers were honest and kept their deal.

The guy who sold the Harley to me said guys were calling him afterwards offering 1K MORE, but he told them he already promised it to me "a deal is a deal!" He could have sold it from under me.

The guy who sold the vert put another guy "on hold" until I flew there to look at it. Wouldn't have that been a bummer if i flew there and he was not even around...

Good to know there are still some good dealers in this world...
Old August 21st, 2009, 05:56 AM

That is always a bummer when that happens. I daydream often about other Oldsmobiles. I don't think the wife would go for another one though, even if it was a pre-war Olds that I intended to do a frame off restoration on.
Old August 21st, 2009, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
I have a white 67 4dr hard top with factory air. No motor or trans but I can find you one if you wanted. Body looks to be in a little bit better shape than that one. I will take 900.00 for it. I can work out some thing for delivery if you wanted it.
Thanks Richard for the offer, but I guess I will have to pass. The great thing about the other one was that it would run and it was only 30 miles from home and the price which I think was negotiable. I will have to say that your car was an inspiration to me when I started looking at buying that car. You have a fantastic car and I have really enjoyed all your posts about the car and watching your progress working on it. Great Job!
Old August 21st, 2009, 09:28 AM

In my hometown when I was growing up the local radio station had a radio garage sale. I didn't listen to it very much because it was a country station. But I was in a buddy's truck cruising around and heard on the "garage sale" about a 1967 Chevrolet Caprice 2 dr, good shape, best offer. It was late at night so first thing in the morning I was gonna call on it. When I called, the lady that answered said that ad was a week old and she had called the salvage yard to come get it and that "they picked it up yesterday and gave me $60 for it." I went to the salvage yard that she told me that she had called and there it was.....1967 Chevrolet Caprice 2dr, yellow with a black vinyl top and (my heart started beating real hard!) 396 badges on the fender AND in almost perfect condition. The "caretakers" of the yard tried to feed me a line of crap about the title being sent to the state already that the car was junked. I gave them a few choice words and left.