General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Does it bother anyone else...

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2015, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
TK's post does have some validity. Trust me.....I know all too well. I quit drag racing in 1990 because of just that issue; the seat time fun didn't outweigh the working and waiting. Like waiting on a Friday night test session while the staff cleaned the track because somebody in their everyday 5.0 Mustang thought they were Don Garlits and put a window in the side of his block. I'm back racing in a Nostalgia Series and my peers are much like me.....graybeards who still have the passion, but we only go out every so often.... NOT 4-5 times a week like when I stopped in 1990.
As to the car show thing and sitting in lawn chairs? Not really my cup of tea, but guys and gals, we NEED those people and those shows to keep our hobby afloat. If the population numbers in this hobby/business didn't include all types, the aftermarket suppliers would not have a need or reason to support us with parts, venues, events, etc. If you don't like sitting in a lawn chair at a cruise or don't want to look at newer cars at that cruise, you can still attend, just leave your chair on the deck and walk on by the newer car. I see some of the guys and gals in my age group buying the newer stuff because our old broken down bodies can not physically work on older cars or do the required maintenance to keep them running 100% and keep them detailed to a level of acceptability. Newer "muscle cars" fill the void/need for these type of people to still "be in the game" and not break their backside doing it. I have a C5 Corvette that I've owned for about 15 years; I gotta tell you it is comfortable, relatively quick, gets 30 mpg, and has a pretty darn good look (Arctic White/ Torch Red leather). Now if a car as dated as this can be THAT good, imagine how good s BRAND NEW one can be? "Different strokes for different folks".......remember, this is all supposed to be FUN!!!!
That^^^^
Imagine you are sitting around the local Dairy Freeze sitting on the hood of your 57 Chevy and some young guy pulls in in his new 1964 GTO. Same Difference!
" The Beat Goes On". Hopefully it always will.
Old August 14th, 2015, 04:48 PM

I dont mind them, around here the new stuff congregates together at the cruise nights, they have their own group it seems. I went to a small cruise night recently in the 442. Not a person was near my car but a few feet away there was a new Hellcat that had about 10 guys swarming around it. There must be an interest so let them have their space.