General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Does anyone live near Queenston / Lewiston?

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2009, 03:13 PM

Does anyone live near Queenston / Lewiston?

Hey there,

I was going to bring my newly purchased station wagon home tomorrow from Port Crane NY but I was informed by customs that I can not bring it over the border before Tuesday morning after 8:00 AM. (they need to process the paperwork first)
My problem is I would like to get the car this weekend and drive it near the border and leave it somewhere untill Tuesday. Then I can come and pick it up Tuesday morning and drive her home.

My question is..... Does anyone know of a safe place I can leave it for a few days over the weekend? Maybe an impound yard or storage facility?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rene
Old September 7th, 2009, 06:55 AM

Vehicle export blues...

I have been trying for a week to get some answers on bringing my car into Canada from the U.S. and have been getting the run-around at every corner.
All I wanted to do was to pick up the car and drive it home on the weekend so I didn't have to take time off work.
Step 1...
I called the Ministry of Transportation here in Canada and they told me that I could not get a temporary lpermit for the vehicle without a Form 1 filled out from the U.S. customs.
Step 2...
I called the Department of Motor Vehicles in the U.S. and asked them about a temporary permit to drive the car home. I was told that I could get one as long as I had insurance and the vehicle registration but it would only get me to the border.
Step 3...
I got the insurance and everything in order and drove over the border to the DMV to get my permit. Unfortunately my insurance slip had only my wifes name on it and they would not give me the permit unless my name was printed on the slip as well. With 12 minutes to spare before they closed, I called the insurance company and they faxed a new copy to the DMV. The lady behind the counter told me that I was O.K. to drive the car into Canada with this permit.
Step 4...
I fax all of my paperwork to the U.S. customs office so I can pick up the car on Friday and bring her home. I called them on Thursday to make sure everything was set and I was told that the paperwork was being processed and I can't bring the car across before Tuesday.
Step 5...
I called around trying to find some info to see if I can actually drive the car over the border without going through U.S. customs office during the weekend and bring it back on Tuesday to get the paperwork completed.
I was told by the U.S. customs that I can not bring the car across into Canada without going through the U.S. customs office first.
Step 6...
After calling around I finally located a place that I can leave the car for a few days just over the border for $35.00 per night..
Step 7...
I pick up the car and drive it to the garage to store it and this place looked pretty shady but I left her there anyway because I had nowhere else to go. I paid my $70.00 and waited in line at the border for 1 1/2 hours.

When I got to the border I told the Canadian border guard about my troubles and she smiled and told me that I could have brought the car in as long as I had a bill of sale and a signed vehicle registration.

Today I am going back to bring the car into Canada and hopefully everything goes alright this time.
Old September 7th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Wish you luck!!!! The border SUCKS!!!!!!!!
Old September 7th, 2009, 05:10 PM

So far so good. I have the wagon safe at home parked in the backyard!
Old September 7th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Land Yacht Captain

I bet thats a load off you mind!!!
Old September 7th, 2009, 05:39 PM

Absolutely!!!
I see you are from Burlington Ontario. I am not too far away from you, just past Hamilton.