General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Disappointment and reality

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2020, 03:08 PM

Disappointment and reality

My bubble has been burst, several months ago I made a post called "Disappointment and Destiny" discussing my quest for a defunct marque vehicle and how my Olds kinda fell in to my lap and how I found through some research that the previous owners name was Edna ( my mothers name ) and was purchased from a very small Olds dealer in Downers Grove IL. a suburb of Chicago not far from where I grew up. that's the karma part I figured its meant to be !! well my research was based on the 1956 Oldsmobile owners manual I found in the glove box. It had all the customer data (name /address ) and dealer info vin/engine # typed in a provided spot on the inside cover. I googled and found the house where I believed my baby once lived and a photo of the long gone Olds dealer where she was purchased, cool right ?
Well today while going through the owners manual my registration fell out and I noticed the vin # on the registration was different than on the owners manual, I immediately checked the vin on the car against registration and title and they all match. I ran both vins on Oldsvin/ post war cars and the vin on the owners manual does come up with 1956 Olds 88 made in Lansing Mi. however my actual vin comes up as a Olds Super 88 (I knew by the vin it was a Super 88) manufactured in Kansas (Fairfield plant I believe) where they also produced Buicks and Pontiacs !
I'm disappointed my karma bubble was burst, I still love the car, it was not mis-represented by the seller he never even mentioned the owners manual, he only mentioned he also would provide the service manual and all spare parts he had.
It doesn't change the car, but I thought I had some history and a good story, now its back to the drawing board as I now only know where she was born not where she lived !! it still fell in to my lap when I had about given up my search and I'm thankful for that.
I believe somewhere down the line at a swap meet or something someone came across the owners manual thought it would be a nice addition and threw it in the glove box.
Old December 31st, 2020, 04:22 PM

Hey do you love the car? If so create yourown story now around your car and experiences with it. Stories are great but at the end of the day you have yourself, your family, a friend or two and the car you now own and love.. Doesn’t really get any better my friend. Drive it..love it and enjoy it..
Old December 31st, 2020, 04:50 PM

Well said Andy!!!!
Old January 1st, 2021, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Andylappin
Hey do you love the car? If so create yourown story now around your car and experiences with it. Stories are great but at the end of the day you have yourself, your family, a friend or two and the car you now own and love.. Doesn’t really get any better my friend. Drive it..love it and enjoy it..
Yeah I still love it doesn't change how I feel when I drive it !! just loved the story !! maybe researching it some more will give me something to do I see the previous owner at cruise ins some times maybe he has some more info. I feel great in my 88 !!